Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that follow NHRA drag racing you may have already heard, but Mark Niver a top-alcohol dragster driver lost his life yesterday in a crash at Pacific Raceways, Seattle, WA:

http://http://www.komonews.com/news/local/98211104.html

I didn't know the man, but another sad day in drag racing, second death of the year. I normally go to this race, didn't make it this year, but you don't like to hear about this kind of stuff happening at the local track. Its starting to become a trend, not only for the professional series but also the sportsman classes, not the kind of press the sport needs right now. After watching the video, this should have been avoid and some serious engineering reevaluation needs to go into the end of track sandpit/netting system.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this news, my thoughts and sentiment go out to his family. Yes there have been too many lost in this sport in the last few years, and rationalization would say that they went out doing what they loved to do. Whether it was the chutes or the track design is pretty irrelevant, but neither helped in this instance.

:sadangel:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, this is brutal.
NHRA is having a really bad few years... way too many deaths.

Something's gotta be done to improve safety.... in every division.
Agreed, I think they are going about it the wrong way. Last year, they shortened the track to 1000' instead of a 1/4 mile for the pro classes, but that was just a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The cars are actually pretty safe, but I don't feel the tracks are as safe as they could be, some serious re-engineering of the end of the track and guard rails would help.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Agreed, I think they are going about it the wrong way. Last year, they shortened the track to 1000' instead of a 1/4 mile for the pro classes, but that was just a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The cars are actually pretty safe, but I don't feel the tracks are as safe as they could be, some serious re-engineering of the end of the track and guard rails would help.
X2. These cars are evolving yearly if not monthly to meet the performance demand. However some of these tracks haven't changed in probably a good decade or more.

More powerful cars running into safety systems that are designed for cars with maybe 3/4 of the KE is bound to be a disaster waiting to happen. And now it has, time and again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts