1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
131 Posts
You know what though. As good of things that I have heard about royal purple, after I used it in my civic si for only one trip to L.A. I checked the oil level and it had burned off an entire quart of oil. I then went back to castrol syntec and did the same trip and nothing burned. I will never use royal purple again, not enough insurance for my engines.

When I was in auto motive classes in college we did this exact test and the royal purple actually was the second worse at protecting the metal bearing we used as well. Mobil 1 at the time was the best we used aside from castrol syntec.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Some people swear by RP, but it seems to break down more quickly than other brands. It may depend on the driving conditions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some people swear by RP, but it seems to break down more quickly than other brands. It may depend on the driving conditions.
It really does break down under normal driving conditions as well. I wasn't even applying much of a load at all. Normal highway driving resulted in me losing one whole quart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really.. I used it in my daily driver 87 Grand National, at 24psi, without any burn off, and i DROVE too.

My older brothers 04 GTO and 02 WS6 they drive 120miles a day to work and no burn off there... must be because its a Civic :p JK man

Thats why we like it, so yea it could be that but Ive had good luck with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
i work at an oil refinery and we have pumps that run 24 hrs a day 365 days a year and sometimes 5-10 years in all kinds of conditions from 95 degree days to -10 degrees in the winter. we use royal purple in a majority of these pumps and i myself have not seen a catostrophic failure. in fact i have seen pumps with well below their recommended level of oil and they still continue to chug away. with that said i have used mobil full synthetics in all my rides including 86 grand national, 02 camaro ss, and 07 trailblazer ss without loss of oil or failures. the way i look at it is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I have used royal purple and have no bad things to say about it.
The only reason im going to run mobil1 in my New camaro will be its what GM puts in the Vette obviously they must have something and really back it if they choose to use it.
I use Mobil 1 in my 69 as well however I replace 1 quart of oil and add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
On my older vehicles (flat tappet) I add in a capful of the OLD GM Engine Oil supplement (EOS) because of the higher protection for wear (high ZDDP count). New oils just don't have the protection. Don't use the new formulated GM oil supplement they have now. You can usually find the older version still laying around. GM p/n 12371532.

I've heard different things about RP, good and bad, but I'm not convinced of it OR Amsoil. I've used mobil 1 in our 02 Camaros and the truck, and no issues ever concerning oil. I think it really has a lot to do with general maintenance approach anyway. If you change your oil at specified intervals, you should be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts