Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Said to Study Shedding Saab, Saturn, Pontiac to Win U.S. Aid

By Jeff Green and Greg Bensinger

Nov. 26 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., working to cut costs to win $12 billion in government loans, is studying whether to shed its Saturn, Saab and Pontiac brands in addition to Hummer, people familiar with the matter said.

Selling or dropping brands would save money and reduce overlap as the biggest U.S. automaker struggles to avoid running out of operating cash by year’s end, said the people, who didn’t want to be identified because no decision has been made. GM’s other U.S. brands are Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac.

The review of the 82-year-old Pontiac division, one of GM’s earliest, shows the scope of the survival plan being given to Congress on Dec. 2 to show GM can repay federal aid. GM also seeks to cut debt levels and reduce costs for active and retired union workers, people have said.

Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner is under a deadline set by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Congress has scheduled a Dec. 5 hearing on a $25 billion auto-industry rescue and may vote the week of Dec. 8.

A GM spokesman, Steve Harris, declined to comment on what may be included in the Detroit-based automaker’s plan.

Directors are scheduled to review a proposal Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, people familiar with the plans said. The automaker will prepare a 10- to 12-page public document and a private, more detailed plan of about 80 pages with background material, the people said. GM said Nov. 7 it may be short by year’s end of the $11 billion minimum in cash needed to pay monthly bills.

Source: Bloomberg

Really? :eek:

Saab I can see shedding, but Saturn and Pontiac too? Yikes. :(

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Keep the Pontiac brand. Killing Buick makes more sense.

Saturn: For people who like the Japanese/foreign car look. Their "no Haggle" price sucks only because it's WAY OVER invoice. Lower the No Haggle price and it's a decent brand.

Saab: Eh, who needs Saab when you have Opel?

Pontiac: SAVE.. Save.. SAVE

Buick: KILL..KILL...KILL if you want to get rid of a brand.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Wow I would have never thought saturn or Pontiac.

I would think kill US Buick and Hummer. Also Isn't GMC the same as Cheverolet? Couldn't they do without GMC?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Why Pontiac? Why?

Saturn is just ugly and a waste imo, Saab I have no comment on them.

Kill Off Hummer, Buick too... yuck.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
GM studies axing some lines, including Pontiac

General Motors Corp. is studying possible elimination of some of its brands, with options including Pontiac, Hummer and Saab, the Free Press has learned.

More...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kill US Buick - I know big seller in China, fine just keep it there
Kill Hummer
Kill GMC - :confused:WhyTF do we need two versions of the Silverado, Tahoe and Subruban??? This brand should be the FIRST to go!!!!

Keep Pontiac - But please inject some life into this "performance" brand. The Solstice and G8 are a start, but come on!!
Keep Saturn - As stated above, best domestic import option to alot of people.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I never cared much for Buick until we got the first Roadmaster now I love em and own 2. There is no way GM will kill Buick. I think they screwed up Pontiac with the G thing. G5 G6 G8 how about giving the cars a real name. The only G that is accepatable is GTO and that one causes enough controversy. Kill saturn why? seems like they are aiming at too many of their econo cars.

·
8,984 Posts
GM makes too much money with Buick overseas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
this is good news. I said to drop those three lines and Buick and GMC a few days ago. GM needs to focus on Chevy and Cadillac. Everything else is just redundant. We survived the end of AMC, Olds, Nash and no one cares.

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
I don't think Buick is costing GM a whole lot. Heck they only have 2 cars & 1 suv in their brand. And the suv is basically a rebaged arcadia.

Hummer definitely needs to go asap.

Saab has never been a big gm producer either. Besides Cadillac has taken over the sports sedan scene for gm anyways.

Saturn would probably do fine under some import maker.

Pontiac seems to have been struggling for some time now. The G8 and solstice are the only decent vehicles they produce.

GMC needs to go. chevy trucks & suv's for those of modest means, and caddy can make the upscale ones for those with deeper pockets and want more bling.

Make more efficent chevys. get that volt out asap! Redo the impala, like they did the malibu, but keep a fuel efficent engine on the low end and drop an v8 rwd on the high end. Heck just rebage the g8.

·
8,984 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Time to do some research!

:lol:I say get rid of Saab, I say bye to Hummer, and mostly get rid of all duplicate makes Pontiac included, but Saturn needs to stay.

Saturn: For people who like the Japanese/foreign car look. Their "no Haggle" price sucks only because it's WAY OVER invoice. Lower the No Haggle price and it's a decent brand.
USA1Camaro needs to do a little more research. I work at a Saturn dealership and here is the Verbatim invoice quote for a 2008 Saturn Astra 5door XE, Saturn's No Haggle MSRP $18305 and our invoice (what we own it for for all you that don't understand that) $17615.70. Lets see thats ummmmm $690 in mark up. Wow, way over priced! Really, lets see what the mark up is in the new Camaro and you tell me whats over priced...lol. Get your facts straight.

The only reason GM has kept Saturn around is that over 80% of all Saturn owners would have bought a foriegn make and model if they hadn't bought a Saturn. So I would call that a successful brand marketing.

How do you like them apples........

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
i don't care what you think about the enclave,i think the enclave is sexy and beautiful and that's the only suv i would ever own:lol::)

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Did some research

I went and did some research. For my area. The everyday National average and NOT the Red Tag price.

2009 Astra XE 5 door, MSRP 17,045 invoice 15937 + 670 destination

1108 difference + hold-back (450 @ 3%) and incentives. If you add some options you can get a $1400+ difference.

Not including any TO DEALER incentives for the rest of the list.

2009 Aura 3.6 $1700 difference without any options that would increase the amount.

Aura Hybrid: $1691
Outlook XR AWd $1988
Base Sky $1776
Redline Sky $2056
Redline Vue $1866
Base Vue $1498

Somebody else must have been picking the low hanging apples in their example.

Scotty,

Wow that would be a Nuclear bomb if the industry rumors are true.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts