Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been almost 100 up here all this week, and because of my tune and thermostat im amazed that my car runs on the highway at 176, traffic 180s

·
Registered
299 Posts
Do you have your temp up on your display always? Or do you just scan through it once in a while. I ask because i see you have a 1ss which doesnt have the gauge cluster

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There really is no point in having a 160 degree thermostat when the engine makes its best numbers at 210 degrees.
While I would agree for the most part on an NA car, I wholeheartedly disagree on a boosted car. My SC car makes more power more consistently with the 160 T-stat....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have your temp up on your display always? Or do you just scan through it once in a while. I ask because i see you have a 1ss which doesnt have the gauge cluster
You realize these cars run best at 200+ degrees right? Hard to believe but true...
There really is no point in having a 160 degree thermostat when the engine makes its best numbers at 210 degrees.
I scan thru mine wish I had the 2ss lol

I totally disagree with u, my dyno sheets prove that when the car was running around 200 it made less power, so running at 170s is perfect, heat kills hp, cooler the better, car feels and is way better with the tune and stat

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:eek:ktodd: You're missing the point.... We are talking about modified cars. His car is tuned, which adds HP, which adds heat....
exactly timing advance etc......

·
Registered
334 Posts
I scan thru mine wish I had the 2ss lol

I totally disagree with u, my dyno sheets prove that when the car was running around 200 it made less power, so running at 170s is perfect, heat kills hp, cooler the better, car feels and is way better with the tune and stat
Then your LS motor is a freak of nature. Ask just about any professional tuner out there that has any real amount of time under their belt on LS motors and they will tell you they run best at their operating temp of 200-210 degrees. If yours runs better at 170, then good for it, but it's not the norm.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then your LS motor is a freak of nature. Ask just about any professional tuner out there that has any real amount of time under their belt on LS motors and they will tell you they run best at their operating temp of 200-210 degrees. If yours runs better at 170, then good for it, but it's not the norm.
again that is for a stock engine like he said above, when u tune and make adjustments it needs a stat and to be cooler, and my tuner has tuned many cars and i had 5 done by him and no issues at all, so u can believe what u want, but any tuner thats been around for awhile will tell u the same thing, they dont like heat, and clarify what u mean by runs best lol??

·
Registered
334 Posts
again that is for a stock engine like he said above, when u tune and make adjustments it needs a stat and to be cooler, and my tuner has tuned many cars and i had 5 done by him and no issues at all, so u can believe what u want, but any tuner thats been around for awhile will tell u the same thing, they dont like heat, and clarify what u mean by runs best lol??
By runs best, I mean makes more power.

And I'll direct your inquires to one Mr. Ted Jannetty. He can be found over on Camaro5. He's a master tuner and has many cars tuned by him riding all around the streets. I'd trust that man to tune anything I owned with an LS motor. He's tuned literally thousands of camaros. I think he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By runs best, I mean makes more power.

And I'll direct your inquires to one Mr. Ted Jannetty. He can be found over on Camaro5. He's a master tuner and has many cars tuned by him riding all around the streets. I'd trust that man to tune anything I owned with an LS motor. He's tuned literally thousands of camaros. I think he knows what he's talking about.
That's fine, and im sure he knows what hes doing, but i still disagree with u on running that temp makes more power, for a totally stock engine yes, once u change it with a tune no

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to go talk to him.
Heat causes detonation especially in advanced timing situations, so keeping it cooler is what tuners want, i think u need to think again my friend lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts