Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i ordered my camaro yesterday and my dealer offered me this Sym-Tech Electronic Rust Inhibitor....Can anyone tell me if they know if this works or should i just get an under body spray?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
yeah, probably not worth the money. Is it me, or do all dealers just make up their own names for "undercoating".

Maybe worth it if you don't have a garage to keep it in, live in Minnesota and plan on driving it all year long...than I'd say, what the hell, it's probably only $500.

·
8,984 Posts
Be sure to order an extra muffler bearing though.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
So i ordered my camaro yesterday and my dealer offered me this Sym-Tech Electronic Rust Inhibitor....Can anyone tell me if they know if this works or should i just get an under body spray?
From the Chevrolet FAQ page (http://www.chevrolet.com/warranty/frequently-asked-questions/):

"Is my vehicle covered from rust, too?

GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All Chevrolet body and sheet metal components have a limited warranty against rust-through corrosion for 6-year/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your GM dealer/retailer for terms of this limited warranty."

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Most dealer "add ons" are just that. They want to bulk up the profit margin.

Looks like weland has the best answer.

·
8,984 Posts
Bottom line marketing.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Negative on both. Leave the underside alone.

·
8,984 Posts
why is it not a good idea to do a underbody? also is a paint protection and leather protection a good idea?
It is already done from the factory.

You do not need leather protection.

now a nice 3M Scotchbrite on cloth would be beneficial, but not from the dealer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All that stuff is just huge profit for the dealers. Don't let them talk you into it. It all sounds great, but it's just a few dollars worth of scotchguard and wax. You can do that yourself. Or slip around back to the reconditioning guys and ask them what they do on the package.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I didn't like RP until I worked here - I've seen them spray trucks. And after seeing rotted out 2001's and 2002's Silverado's come in, anything you add is worth it. We even give you a little more for the trade in if it's RP'd...

As far as paint protection, I like Simoniz System 5. Goes on easy and really helps. Yes, dealers that have it (my former employer) charge about $500...

You can get it without any warranty on ebay for about $20.

Regular waxes - I seen this on an older vette, and it was really impressive:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
All that stuff is just huge profit for the dealers. Don't let them talk you into it. It all sounds great, but it's just a few dollars worth of scotchguard and wax. You can do that yourself. Or slip around back to the reconditioning guys and ask them what they do on the package.
Another thing, for me at least, is that every little $500 counts. I want to have less principal to make monthly payments against, not more. It makes more sense to me not to tack on extras at the time of purchase when you can do it for less yourself in a year or so.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I didn't like RP until I worked here - I've seen them spray trucks. And after seeing rotted out 2001's and 2002's Silverado's come in, anything you add is worth it. We even give you a little more for the trade in if it's RP'd...

As far as paint protection, I like Simoniz System 5. Goes on easy and really helps. Yes, dealers that have it (my former employer) charge about $500...

You can get it without any warranty on ebay for about $20.

Regular waxes - I seen this on an older vette, and it was really impressive:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7
I worked for a Ziebart dealer for a few years, undercoating is bad for two reasons.

1 - blocks factory drain holes allowing water to buildup in places it should not
2 - Creates a mess of the undercarriage making future modifications or repairs more work

My 2000 GMC Sierra has almost 200K on the clock through 7 salty road michigan winters and looks pretty good under there.

you can use ANY good paint protection via a wax or polish (Meguiars, 3M, Zaino, etc) yourself annually and save $$, same goes for the interior. Buy Scotch Guard spray and a good leather protectant like Zaino or Zymol and you will do fine :D

·
8,984 Posts
Also, invest in a REAL powerwasher and clean your vehicles undercarriage and all of that other BS coatings are not needed.

·
Shunt in Trunk
46 Posts
Or you can buy a fake one! they work just as well. You just can not do anything with them but blow bubble's.

"Ohh how those little bubbles make you clean from tip to tail you never feel mean! May love and joy spread across the land as 54 is the REAL washing man!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts