Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i was wondering if anyone had any RWHP numbers for the 2011 LS3?
I know its advertised as 426hp, but thats at the flywheel/flexplate knw roughly how much power is being lost through the drivetrain.

I cant imagine its a huge number, but i dunno......ive seen guys on here talk about how they have headers, and high flow cats and CAIs and cat backs and tunes and only getting dynoed at 400-410hp

That seems low to me with so many mods, or is the LS just that well built from the factory you won't get much more out of it, other than sound?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Most of the time we see stock LS3s dyno around 355-365, so figure around 15% drivetrain loss.
Most of the time we see stock L99s dyno around 315-325, so figure around 20% drivetrain loss.

So those bolt on's and tune will usually get you around 40-50hp to the ground.
So figuring in the guestimated drivetrain loss, a 411hp LS3 (typical for our setup and tune) to the ground calculates to around 484hp at the crank.

Not too shabby!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am right on what JDP says...

LS3, baseline 356hp/366tq (@ wheels)
with mods listed: 415 hp/410 tq

I am pleased.... I am sitting at about 490 crank hp... I need to find 10 hp somewhere... ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
yep the 15 % for Manual and 20 % for Auto is pretty spot on. I am currently sitting at 447.9 RWHP so that equals roughly 515 at the crank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up my 2011 from Lamar Walden Automotive in Atlanta. It made 357 rwhp stock. They did American Racing Headers, Corsa exhaust, Air Raid cold air, & tune to get it to 420 rwhp.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I just picked up my 2011 from Lamar Walden Automotive in Atlanta. It made 357 rwhp stock. They did American Racing Headers, Corsa exhaust, Air Raid cold air, & tune to get it to 420 rwhp.

Wow that sounds kinda high just for those mods

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an L99 that just left the Dyno shop on Friday that is at 382rwhp with ARH headers CAI intake, Borla S exhaust, VMAX throttle body and a Nuke scoop. This shop typically gets 420rwhp with those kind of mods from a M6.

It goes back in the shop on Monday, he thinks he can get 392rwhp out of it.

Its the transmission tune that brings a L99 to life. I need a pillow for my head rest now.:BangHead:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The big problem is the weight of the car. At nearly 4000 pounds, 400 HP doesn't feel like then same 400 RWHP in my 99 SS.

He'll, it doesn't even feel like the 225 in my Lotus Exige. (just shy of 2000 pounds.) :)

I really hope the next Camaro goes on a diet and shrinks a little. (the rumor is that the Mustang is.)

I'm not really surprised by those numbers. A tune and the headers alone should get you pretty close. :)

·
8,984 Posts
Weight has nothing to do with Horsepower, but everything to do with ET.

Those numbers are high, but I like to see high numbers, to offset those low numbers that some people get.

It also was not mentioned what dyno they were using and if these were SAE corrected numbers. That changes everything.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
The big problem is the weight of the car. At nearly 4000 pounds, 400 HP doesn't feel like then same 400 RWHP in my 99 SS.

He'll, it doesn't even feel like the 225 in my Lotus Exige. (just shy of 2000 pounds.) :)

I really hope the next Camaro goes on a diet and shrinks a little. (the rumor is that the Mustang is.)

I'm not really surprised by those numbers. A tune and the headers alone should get you pretty close. :)
sorry, i maybe i misread that. the shop where i spend a lot of my time usually gets around 380rwhp from headers , exhaust, tune and cai from L99's. was that car an L99 also?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Weight has nothing to do with Horsepower, but everything to do with ET.

Those numbers are high, but I like to see high numbers, to offset those low numbers that some people get.

It also was not mentioned what dyno they were using and if these were SAE corrected numbers. That changes everything.
You're right, but the weight has a lot to do with how that power FEELS. My comment was a general "these cars are too heavy and need more HP just to stay even with the 4th gens.

My 99 Z28 put down like 300-315 RWHP and FELT a ton faster than my 2010 at presumably 350-370 RWHP.

All this talk of big horsepower numbers on paper is great, but meaningless in the context of moving a luxobarge like our 5th Gens.

HP isn't really the absolute qualifier if you're trying to suggest you have a fast car.

That's all I'm saying.

·
8,984 Posts
No, the feeling is Torque. :lol:

I suggest you quit "saying".

Relax, just messing with you Ford boy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
AND you’re both wrong. Weight is always factored in when calculating Horsepower.

It’s Torque that doesn't need the cars weight but it still needs the weight of the Dyno rollers.

A Dyno is only good for tuning gas air mixtures for maximum torque or transmission shift points, not for giving accurate rwhp numbers.

The Mustang Dyno isn’t really good for tuning since it adds two variables to the torque formula that isn’t needed and one is not consistent. How does the tuner know he is going in the right direction if something happens to the eddy current load cell? The whole idea of fine tuning is to eliminate everything but what is needed for maximum acceleration. RPM / 5252 are all that is needed.

If you truly want an accurate rwhp number, first go to a car scale like you see for semi trucks to weight in and get the total weight of your car without you inside. Then go to the ¼ mile track and make a couple of runs. Take your best time and your total weight and use this formula, HP= (weight / ((ET / 5.825)3)) that will give you your real rwhp. Some might have higher numbers than the previously thought and some will have lower numbers. If you can't hook it you won't like it

Some people like to use trap speed there is a formula for that too

I found a web site with a HP calculator to make things easy.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_horsepower_elapsed_time/horsepower_elapsed_time.php

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2012 L99, CAI Intake, Borla XR-1 LT Headers w/CAT Delete and Borla ATAK CAT back Exhaust with a custom tune on a DynoJet. With just the Exhaust installed i went from 315RWHP to 325RWHP and after all the other installs and the tune i am only making 353RWHP. Does that sound too low?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You're right, but the weight has a lot to do with how that power FEELS. My comment was a general "these cars are too heavy and need more HP just to stay even with the 4th gens.

My 99 Z28 put down like 300-315 RWHP and FELT a ton faster than my 2010 at presumably 350-370 RWHP.

All this talk of big horsepower numbers on paper is great, but meaningless in the context of moving a luxobarge like our 5th Gens.

HP isn't really the absolute qualifier if you're trying to suggest you have a fast car.

That's all I'm saying.
Yea the older models FEEL faster but the 5th Gens ARE faster. The SS picked up a lot of weight but they also picked up an extra 100 hp. And those tall gears mean less time shifting...which is why they dropped a good half second on the quart stock for stock...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yea the older models FEEL faster but the 5th Gens ARE faster. The SS picked up a lot of weight but they also picked up an extra 100 hp. And those tall gears mean less time shifting...which is why they dropped a good half second on the quart stock for stock...
Tall Gears? Are you referring to the rear end gears or the actually gear ratio for each individual gear within the transmission? I can't speak on behalf of the automatics but the manuals on the 4th Gen came with a 3.42:1 rear end and I'm pretty sure that the 5th Gen also has 3.42:1.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Tall Gears? Are you referring to the rear end gears or the actually gear ratio for each individual gear within the transmission? I can't speak on behalf of the automatics but the manuals on the 4th Gen came with a 3.42:1 rear end and I'm pretty sure that the 5th Gen also has 3.42:1.
I was referring to the transmission...3rd gear especially. It feels like you barely have to shift. The other night I raced a WRX STI or whatever those things are called...um, at the track of course...I was at the top of second and he was in fourth. I got into 3RD and it just kept pulling and pulling and pulling...of course the whole time I was ahead of the kid. I don't know exactly what the trans gear ratios are but they seem to give this car some very long legs...

And I mentioned it because less shifting (or less time shifting) is more time accelerating and therefore a lower 1/4 mile ET.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just looked up the trans ratios...1st is 3.01/2nd is 2.07/3rd is 1.43/4th is 1.00/5th is o.84/6th is 0.57/reverse is 3.28 and final drive is 3.45...just in case anyone was interested.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts