Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(After 3 years as a roll cage fabricator and tuner at Flatout Motorsports
I was forced to leave today not by choice.
It was really hard because I put so much effort into this job. I feel lost
and have to find some kind of employment ASAP for my family that includes
my new Camaro SS.
The kinda good news I was already planning on my own "hobby" shop
as of July 1st. I think eventually I will be okay as my work speaks for itself.
I have been doing cages for 7 years, and tuning cars for 5 years.
Specializing in GM vehicles for tuning, but not limited to.
Wiring and custom harness is also my specialty on anything from front end loaders to VW's and everything in between.
I have attended EFI101 and Haltech Training over the years.
Jack of all trades and Master of some LOL!
Any advice on starting your own shop would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sorry for that.. its hard to start something right now. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
Sorry to hear and best of luck in your new adventure.... #1 thing is customer service which i think you will be great at. It sounds like you will be just fine cause you have skills :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Seriously look into buisness classes focusing on financial, make suer you talk to other people in your desired trade that either own or have owned buisnesses about the pit falls. I was and still am a hell of an electrician, but when I started my buisness I turned out to be a piss poor buisness man, seriously weak on the billing/receivables side. What ever you do don't just think you can leave the money aspect to some one else, it will be your worst blind side, good luck.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
in these troubled times, starting your own business will be tough! not to mention the taxes small business owners have to pay is ridiculous!

i'm sure there are a few shops near you that were your "competitors" at your old job. you might want to start there if there are any.

there is nothing wrong with switching sides and joining another team to provide for your family ;)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
sucks...best of luck to you. It's been a rough few years for my business. No body wants to spend any $$$$ and clients seem to have a lot more of an attitude lately.:confused:

I would think in your line of work, location is important...so make sure you research/think that through. I've heard sooooo many times on these forums "help, there's no tuners/shops near me". And of course you want to be where there's $$$$.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses and well wishes. I am off to pick up my tools now that the rain has stopped.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Best of luck...................As buisness goes its location and you have to be willing to go out and sell your buisness. Talk to everyone. Tell them what you do and how you are better than anyone else.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, life has its twists and turns. I accepted a job offer for 10K more a year than my last job. I start on Tuesday! Full benefits, because my last job had none!
I will still plan on my "hobby" shop for after work and weekends.
I really enjoy building race cars,and it will be more fun now that its not every day.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and support!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
"One door closes, and another one opens"....

P.S. Why did it take you SOOOO long to open that other door... :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
WOW look who it is :eek: I thought you drove off into the black hole in your Smart Car :lol:
Hey, cut me a little bit of slack...just had foot surgery on Wednesday (on my lead foot), so I won't be driving anything for a good 3 weeks...ouch! :faint:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Hey, cut me a little bit of slack...just had foot surgery on Wednesday (on my lead foot), so I won't be driving anything for a good 3 weeks...ouch! :faint:

ohhhhhhh so since you cant walk you come in here for us to keep you company :lol: ok that works :thumbsup: hope you recover quickly :thumbsup:

nice to see you again

·
8,984 Posts
Well, life has its twists and turns. I accepted a job offer for 10K more a year than my last job. I start on Tuesday! Full benefits, because my last job had none!
I will still plan on my "hobby" shop for after work and weekends.
I really enjoy building race cars,and it will be more fun now that its not every day.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and support!:thumbsup:
Nice, congrats! Where are you located?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice, congrats! Where are you located?
My shop is in Milford, Massachusetts
I use EFI Live and Tuner ProRT for tuning almost ALL makes and model of GM vehicles.

·
8,984 Posts
Wish you were closer, need a cage.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts