Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://wot.motortrend.com/6247400/tuners/saleens-sms-creates-packages-for-2009-dodge-challenger-r-t/index.html

With SMS, Steve Saleen is switching up from Fords and moving on to producing special packages for the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T.

The Orange County, Calif.-based company is rolling out two packages for the Challenger called the SMS 570 Challenger and SMS 570X Challenger. Both vehicles are based on the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, which puts out 375 horsepower before Saleen's SMS gets to it. Along with various upgrades to the drivetrain, suspension, aerodynamics, tires, wheels, and interior, SMS 570 Challengers get power upgrades featuring from 500 to over 700 horsepower.

Every limited edition SMS is signed by Saleen, and, of course, is sprinkled with unique badges and graphics. As a complement to SMS 570 Challengers or Saleen Mustangs, we might even see the S5S Raptor Concept from this year's New York Auto Show. The "mean and green" concept, which runs on E85, is powered by a 650-horsepower Saleen 5.0-liter V-8 which supposedly gets the concept from 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds.

With Saleen's own S302 Extreme motivated by 620 horsepower, we wonder what Saleen has in store for the 2010 Mustang to compete with... SMS and other tuners. Should the new Camaro be next on the SMS list?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Did Ford buy out Saleen? Is that why he's making cars under the SMS badge?

The article makes it seem like he's going to do "all types of muscle cars."

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, Steve Saleen has no involvement with Saleen anymore, and his new company is SMS (which I believe are his initials).
I would have no involvement with him after he made an @ss of himself on that video as he was leaving Saleen.

·
2,416 Posts
I can so see him trying to jump on the new camaro band wagon. As far as I'm concerned the wagon left a long time ago and he missed his ride. screw him, there are wayyy to many well known camaro people to get a performance upgrade 5th gen from.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can so see him trying to jump on the new camaro band wagon. As far as I'm concerned the wagon left a long time ago and he missed his ride. screw him, there are wayyy to many well known camaro people to get a performance upgrade 5th gen from.
+1 on that, sir.

·
Registered
71 Posts
screw him, there are wayyy to many well known camaro people to get a performance upgrade 5th gen from.
I apologize for my ignorance, but could you list some of these people? I'm not real up to date on camaro history so I'm not sure who could even do this, but would really like to know!

Thanks!

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize for my ignorance, but could you list some of these people? I'm not real up to date on camaro history so I'm not sure who could even do this, but would really like to know!

Thanks!
For under warranty type cars like Saleen cars I would have to say SLP or lingenfelter.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts

Thanks!
SLP, Lingenfelter, Baldwin Motion...I'm sure there are others. I'm sure there will be more than Ford has for the Mustang (Saleen and Roush)

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Im hoping Penske, Lingerfeiter, and Callaway to combat Shelby, Salleen, and Roush.

SLP feels more like the Mustang's Steeda brand wise. So I guess a SLP would be nice and an big catalog of 5th gen/G8/CobaltSS/SoliticeGXP parts would be cool.

I think Roush is working with Challengers as well. So it wouldnt surprise me if some of these companies try both sides at least once. I think the Challenger will have an ACR version in the mix from Mopar.....maybe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts