Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked at the new challenger SRT 8 today - the dealer was asking 36k for it. IMO, comparing it to the Camaro:

1) The flat front end really hurts the appearance - this one had the bottom front ground effects kit on it, (whatever comes on the SRT 8) which helped-it gave it a sharper, more angular look. The Camaro doesn't NEED any help - the way the front end is shaped like a "V" makes all the difference...

2) They told me the sunroof opens into the roofline - that feature I like better than the one that will be in the Camaro - y'know where it will come out on top of the roof...

3) The dashboard & interior are terminally BORING & BLAND. The gauges are white background w/black numbers & a faint blue "glow" over each gauge. The main speedo gauge has digital reading at the bottom which include "G-force", "Longitude & Latitude" readings & the mileage log. Why do you need the Long/Lat. coordinates? If this is a speed/racing thing, someone please explain it to me.
The dash on the passenger side is empty & plain looking. The dash & door junction areas don't seem as smooth as the Camaro's - the Camaro's have the "wraparound" effect from one door to the next, where the Charger's don't. There were 2 "illuminated" cupholders just in front of the center hump's storage bin - this I would like to see in the Camaro.

The Ambient Lighting is gonna just kill the Challenger's interior. I guess the illuminated cupholders is the best Dodge could do for this car...

4) They have 9 colors listed in the dealer's brochure, but the dealer told me that the purple is available even though it was not in the brochure.

Color breakdown:
Dark titanium Metallic = Slightly darker than Cyber Grey
Hemi Orange = Hemi Orange (Is this closer to the kind of orange many Camaro fans want?)
Inferno Red Pearl = Slightly darker than Red Jewel Tint Coat
Torred, Black Metallic, Silver Metallic = Standard colors-same as Camaro
Deepwater Blue = I think more of a "Purple" tint than the Camaro's Imp. Blue
B5 Blue = this reminds me of the "Jetstream Blue" that Jinx advertises.

When I turned it on, it had a nice low growl to it but they wouldn't let me drive it. The salesman told me - "If you don't buy it now, you'll never be able to". Then I quoted him when the V6 would be there, the fact that Chally's is 50hp less than Camaro's, the camaro gets better mpg... he shut up really quickly!
One thing I noticed with the MyGig system is that if you have an incoming call, you can assign a picture to the call (wife's/kid's pictures etc...)

The only thing I think I like better with the Challenger is the color choice - I'd like the B5 blue/jetstream blue - Chevy needs to offer at least the JS blue at launch.

These are just my opinions of course - this visit gave me something to laugh at for today.... "If you don't buy it now, you'll never be able to" yeah right......

Also, the new Challengers may have a recall due to a factory bolt that will eventually puncture the seat: heres the link:http://www.challengerforums.com/for...-discussion/6762-possible-factory-defect.html

How do you miss something like this? - Hopefully Chevy will be more thorough....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
WTF was that salesman trying to say? "If you don't buy it now, you never will be able to..":screwy: That's assinine. You should of told him to go back to his telemarketing job!:lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I SHOULD have said was "I'll be able to buy one until the Camaro comes out - then I won't be able to because they won't sell any so they'll quit making them"

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
What I SHOULD have said was "I'll be able to buy one until the Camaro comes out - then I won't be able to because they won't sell any so they'll quit making them"
so actually after the Camaro comes out, you'll be able to buy plenty of them, because they'll be sitting on every dealer's lot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
He probably

WTF was that salesman trying to say? "If you don't buy it now, you never will be able to..":screwy: That's assinine. You should of told him to go back to his telemarketing job!:lol:

meant that they are not making anymore. I believe the run of the SRT8 is over. I might be wrong. I went and saw the Challenger Tuesday and I think they told me that there were to be no more SRT8.

·
Registered
199 Posts
LAT/LONG can be used to calculate distance while taking into account the curvature of the earth. see below formula.. or you could just use your odometer.. :D

R = radius earth = 6.4 *10^3 km.
r = R*cos(lat)
x = r*cos(long)
y = r*sin(long)
z = R*sin(lat)
* assuming ur calculator is in degree mode for the above.
distance if you burrowed a hole from coordinate 1 to coordinate 1 = sqrt((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
meant that they are not making anymore. I believe the run of the SRT8 is over. I might be wrong. I went and saw the Challenger Tuesday and I think they told me that there were to be no more SRT8.
yeah, maybe this year? I know they were in limited production this year, but aren't they coming back next year?

LAT/LONG can be used to calculate distance while taking into account the curvature of the earth. see below formula.. or you could just use your odometer.. :D

R = radius earth = 6.4 *10^3 km.
r = R*cos(lat)
x = r*cos(long)
y = r*sin(long)
z = R*sin(lat)
* assuming ur calculator is in degree mode for the above.
distance if you burrowed a hole from coordinate 1 to coordinate 1 = sqrt((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2)
thanks, my head hurts now.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I looked at the new challenger SRT 8 today - the dealer was asking 36k for it. IMO, comparing it to the Camaro:

1) The flat front end really hurts the appearance - this one had the bottom front ground effects kit on it, (whatever comes on the SRT 8) which helped-it gave it a sharper, more angular look. The Camaro doesn't NEED any help - the way the front end is shaped like a "V" makes all the difference...

2) They told me the sunroof opens into the roofline - that feature I like better than the one that will be in the Camaro - y'know where it will come out on top of the roof...

3) The dashboard & interior are terminally BORING & BLAND. The gauges are white background w/black numbers & a faint blue "glow" over each gauge. The main speedo gauge has digital reading at the bottom which include "G-force", "Longitude & Latitude" readings & the mileage log. Why do you need the Long/Lat. coordinates? If this is a speed/racing thing, someone please explain it to me.
The dash on the passenger side is empty & plain looking. The dash & door junction areas don't seem as smooth as the Camaro's - the Camaro's have the "wraparound" effect from one door to the next, where the Charger's don't. There were 2 "illuminated" cupholders just in front of the center hump's storage bin - this I would like to see in the Camaro.

The Ambient Lighting is gonna just kill the Challenger's interior. I guess the illuminated cupholders is the best Dodge could do for this car...

4) They have 9 colors listed in the dealer's brochure, but the dealer told me that the purple is available even though it was not in the brochure.

Color breakdown:
Dark titanium Metallic = Slightly darker than Cyber Grey
Hemi Orange = Hemi Orange (Is this closer to the kind of orange many Camaro fans want?)
Inferno Red Pearl = Slightly darker than Red Jewel Tint Coat
Torred, Black Metallic, Silver Metallic = Standard colors-same as Camaro
Deepwater Blue = I think more of a "Purple" tint than the Camaro's Imp. Blue
B5 Blue = this reminds me of the "Jetstream Blue" that Jinx advertises.

When I turned it on, it had a nice low growl to it but they wouldn't let me drive it. The salesman told me - "If you don't buy it now, you'll never be able to". Then I quoted him when the V6 would be there, the fact that Chally's is 50hp less than Camaro's, the camaro gets better mpg... he shut up really quickly!
One thing I noticed with the MyGig system is that if you have an incoming call, you can assign a picture to the call (wife's/kid's pictures etc...)

The only thing I think I like better with the Challenger is the color choice - I'd like the B5 blue/jetstream blue - Chevy needs to offer at least the JS blue at launch.

These are just my opinions of course - this visit gave me something to laugh at for today.... "If you don't buy it now, you'll never be able to" yeah right......

Also, the new Challengers may have a recall due to a factory bolt that will eventually puncture the seat: heres the link:http://www.challengerforums.com/for...-discussion/6762-possible-factory-defect.html

How do you miss something like this? - Hopefully Chevy will be more thorough....
You Found a srt8 for 36....msrp is 41k....that with no mark up....Wheres it at Hell ill Buy it and Flip it and make 15k off it.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
All the Challenger models are currently in production as 2009 models.
They are slowly hitting the dealers now. :)

Saw a black Challenger SRT8 on the streets today, killer.

This only makes me want my 2010 Camaro even more!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
The R/T is already out. I drove one yesterday. I got bored. It felt like a Charger with tighter suspension. If it wasnt for the lack of rear doors, I would think I was in a Charger. Cooler than a Mustang, but not much cooler than a Charger. Blah.

I still wait for a Camaro. No question.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
And speed..A wait thats RICER logic Vinyl=Speed:lol:
I thought the coffee-can exhaust and wing equaled speed.:rotflmao:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I saw an SE the other day at my sister's house. I don't even see them @ any dealerships, so that was pretty weird.

I saw a Black R/T the other day. My God. I want it, but I want the Camaro even more, plus the interior of the Challenger is the same as the Magnum, Charger and 300. It's annoying because the only real difference is the AC dials on the dash. BORING

·
Registered
101 Posts
**** you guys are harsh!! But then again I really do like the looks of the Challenger. The Challenger HAS to be available....and REMAIN available...just like the Mustang...we NEED this Domestic Pony Car competition! It makes it fun!!

I bet if the dash area of the Challenger was reworked along with a new Steering wheel more folks would be receptive to it.

Regardless....Still cool car in my book. But then again I have always liked Mopars.

Gonna be interesting if a few things happen.

1. The Dash gets a little reworked to include a cool steering wheel
2. a 6.4 Hemi suddenly becomes available. (6.4 = 392 cubic inches...ala 392 hemi, thats sacred!)

All of sudden the rules have changed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts