Modern Camaro Forums banner

Sc-oops....

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  09SemperSS 
#1 ·
Jalopnik article:

The SS actually has a small opening in the hood, but the other models do not. We didn't want any non-functional parts on the car.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2010camarofron/1002898701

Web Chat:

gss9909:
is the slit on the ss functional?

JohnFitzpatrick:
No, the slit is for appearance only.

My summary:
Oops.

#3 ·
Jalopnik:

"We enlisted the help of GM designer Jeff Perkins, who worked extensively on the new muscle car, to help us with the magnifying glass and determine what those changes were. "

#4 · (Edited)
Unfortunately everything I have seen and read states that this will be "NON" functioning:mad:

The main single reason I am reconsidering the SS, what’s the use if this there is no true RamAir. I am almost better off getting the fully loaded V-6 with RS package that is more true to the original 69 retro design.

#9 · (Edited)
The main single reason I am reconsidering the SS, what’s the use if this there is no true RamAir. I am almost better off getting the fully loaded V-6 with RS package that is more true to the original 69 retro design.
Really? The extra 150+ hp (depending on how underrated the LS3 really is), 14" Brembo brakes, 275 rear tire, , etc. are all outweighed by the lack of a ram air scoop? The vents in the hood of the 69 SS weren't functional either, unless you had the cowl hood, which is a different principle anyway...

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the sunroof thread, do what you want....

#6 ·
Yea...I caught that, too. I remember Fitz saying something about "too much structural material behind the 'scoop' to make it functional." I wonder if there would be any cooling benefits for the motor to make it functional. It's certainly not big enough to make an effective ram-air setup.

#7 ·
I honestly don't get this scoop dislike if it's nonfunctional. I like it pruely for looks. I've loved it since concept. I actually plan on doing the SS because it's only on that model. I'm going for the bumblebee look and the way I see it, BB had the scoop, so I will too :) I just wish the side ones were open to (working or nonworking)

But then again, I'm not the kind of car guys that some of you are. I'm not into top speeds and getting the most out of horse power

Sean

#13 ·
It's just a preference thing. Some like it as a cosmetic object, some like it only if it does something (functional), and some don't like anything about it.

#12 ·
This news does not bother me in the least. As soon as I have the car beneath my feet, I'll drive it home, and begin working on a way to make it functional.

#15 ·
I like the scoop. In fact, I could see myself trying to fabricate or design a way to make it function just for fun... I have a strange definition of "fun", obviously.

I frequently find full on spelling/grammatical errors in fancy "reputable" car magazines, but I wouldn't take too much stock in the fact checking done for this article, considering the reuse of the same verb in the very first sentence...

"The most striking feature of the unveil of the new Camaro was how strikingly...."

Fortunately, the editor managed to strike down (hee hee) the original version of the first sentence:

"I was awestruck by the strikingly striking similarities between the striking 2010 Camaro prototype and the strikingly impressive Camaro unveiled this week, despite a striking workforce."

Snark, disengaged. :)

#18 ·
Slit inserts? Not sure what you mean here.Do you mean the slits on the rear fenders? If so, no one is going to make them. They're not hollow. They're just indentations on the body panel. now, I'm sure someone will make various body-colored ones. But nothing like what the Vettes have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.