Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's, put your thinking caps on. I have been using Amsoil synthetic for almost 2 years now. but when i use the high mileage filter from amsoil i seem to have an oil seaping problem through the very bottom of the oil pan and a little on the lower end of the oil cooler. i have the 6.2
It has been at the dealer and had dye in the oil to try to locate a leak, but none found. If i swap out the filter and go with a standard ac delco filter and clean the oil that has appeared, it stays bone dry and do not get one ounce of seaping anywhere!
I am very confused, so i have a bunch of people trying to figure it out including amsoil. someone has mentioned that maybe the filter causes excessive crankcase pressure and therefore it seaps. just a theory.

Any ideas or has anyone else run across any simaliar problem?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Sorry to hear that... I'm getting ready to make the Switch to Amsoil so I will keep a watch out for what U find out...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would just keep the amsoil and keep the gm filter.Unless there is a reason not too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what im going to end up doing, but it just rattles my brain and i would like to know why this is happening. there is no logic to this problem.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Dose it leak with more than one filter, ie have you tried it with a couple of amsoil filters.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no. just the high mileage one. i gonna try a different one this weekend. like a mobil one high mileage or some other brand besides ac delco or amsoil and see what that does.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea, ill look into the breather cap. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
More info on leaky oil filter

I wanted to add to this post that I recently just experienced the same issue using a Fram Tough Guard. After cleaning up the whole underside, double check the filter then warm and rev the engine to bring up the oil pressure, the oil would run down the side of the filter and a little would appear on the oil cooler gasket.

The conclusion is that this filter and others like it are too restrictive. Causing oil at higher pressures to bypass the filter gasket and oil cooler gasket.

So back to the AC/Delco to see if that's the ultimate remedy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Amsoil, but I also just use the AC Delco filter. I do 10K chnages. No leaking anywhere. I currently have 46K on the car.....2011 2SS/RS L99.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts