Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my 2011 SS the end of September. Yes, she was used had 39,000 on here when I got her. The dealership charged me around $1800.00 to "check her out" since she was a used vehicle. However, in December my engine light came on, so I took her to have her codes read. Came back Mass air flow sensor or something to do with the fuel line. Brought her home, hubby checked the box where the air filter resides and low and behold below the air filter is cat food and some sort of nest. Now I ask you, do you really think they really took a good look at her?

About the second week in January, I get into the car to leave for work when I crank it the engine feels like it is going to bounce clean out of the body. Its lurching and shaking;I try to drive it wont go over 18 mph. Get her in the shop and the Throttle position sensor has gone out and has to be replaced (thank goodness for extended warranty).

Now yesterday the engine light comes back on. Have the codes read (P171 and 172 bank 1 and bank 2) and now its the O2 sensors. Going back in shop Saturday to have those replaced.

Any thoughts what I should do at this point? :confused:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Both banks setting lean codes, doubt it will be the O2 sensors.. Running lean could be a leak in intake or bad fuel or an air sensor... O2 sensors don't both go out at the same time.. or could be more wiring chewed up from the nest. We get a lot of that this time of year with mice trying to find something warm, then they build a nest using wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Both banks setting lean codes, doubt it will be the O2 sensors.. Running lean could be a leak in intake or bad fuel or an air sensor... O2 sensors don't both go out at the same time.. or could be more wiring chewed up from the nest. We get a lot of that this time of year with mice trying to find something warm, then they build a nest using wiring.
You are one of our best...thanks for all you do
JW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping its not a leak in the intake; however, that might explain some of the hesitation I'm getting and the strange noise I'm getting at the time of acceleration.

I'm running premium fuel not sure what the person before me was running. Bet it wasn't premium.

Getting a bit worried about it now.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Intake would be part of the powertrain warranty which is 5 years or 100,000 miles, any gasket on the engine is like that. Sensors are not under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the car that covers just about the entire car. The sensors are covered under it. I'm going to have them check out the other things you mentioned. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
this is why you buy new and not a car 40 thousand miles on it. it was only a matter of time before something went wrong. you have no idea on how the last owner took care of the car. good luck

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
while I do the new car thing ... there are times that i wonder about going the used route (for example a 2SS going for only 25/6K with 13K miles at our local dealer) ... but on a car like this, I would always wonder what the person before me did

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Im not getting the part about the dealer charging you $1800.00 to "Check 'er out" ??
I kind of wondered about that too but was thinking it was part of the 'extended warrantee'?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came here for advice not to be admonished for purchasing a used vehicle. It was what my budget would allow. Maybe you make the bucks but for me I do not. There is more meaning to the ownership of a Camaro than I care to share. Yes I am going to have issues that concern me that is why I purchased a warranty to help with that.

I am proud to own a beautiful Camaro used or not and I do not really give a rats behind if any of you approve. I have worked extremely hard to have been able to purchase the one I have. I don't need this I came here for advice and to talk about a car that is near and dear to my heart.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Hey, we are not trying to make you feel unwelcome, just trying to understand some things ... and yes, you are probably right that it is not always done in the most diplomatic way and for some here you just have to have a thick skin ... my statement was just me on cars in general (I know a lot of people call me things for buying new and driving off the lot to see my value immediately drop 25%). I certainly hope you enjoy every minute in your Camaro and hope this is only a minor bump that will be left behind. Give us a chance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Im not getting the part about the dealer charging you $1800.00 to "Check 'er out" ??
The used cars go threw service and have multi-point inspections, service/maintenance needed (new tires/brakes, ect..) and a detail performed prior to the cars hitting the sales line. The $1800 might be the sum total of all that crap rolled in...at least that's what I'm assuming.

As for the problem, ...IDK if they ever check the air box, but that is were I would check. It sounds like a squirrel, mouse or rat is making a nice warm home up in the air box. The "crap" that is making it by the filter (chew bits of whatever) can get into the MAF and cause it to not read correctly. A company by the name of CRC makes a mass air-flow cleaner they make work out for you.

If you brought it home from the dealer just after they did a diag on it for the check eng light and that's when you found the rat's nest... I would be calling them back up and asking to speak to the manager for at least a partial refund on the diagnostic charges. Checking the air box is part of the basic safety inspection and something like that should have been brought to your attention before you left the dealer with the vehicle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The used cars go threw service and have multi-point inspections, service/maintenance needed (new tires/brakes, ect..) and a detail performed prior to the cars hitting the sales line. The $1800 might be the sum total of all that crap rolled in...at least that's what I'm assuming.

As for the problem, ...IDK if they ever check the air box, but that is were I would check. It sounds like a squirrel, mouse or rat is making a nice warm home up in the air box. The "crap" that is making it by the filter (chew bits of whatever) can get into the MAF and cause it to not read correctly. A company by the name of CRC makes a mass air-flow cleaner they make work out for you.

Gotchya on the $1800---Around these parts (Ohio) Theres Never any extra charge for a "Certified" car. Those supposed 110 point inspections normally take an hour or less to perform.----Probably got him for an extended warranty ??? !!!!

If you brought it home from the dealer just after they did a diag on it for the check eng light and that's when you found the rat's nest... I would be calling them back up and asking to speak to the manager for at least a partial refund on the diagnostic charges. Checking the air box is part of the basic safety inspection and something like that should have been brought to your attention before you left the dealer with the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok maybe I jumped to quick, but geez. I happy that others can purchase new cars at this point in my life I just can not.

I'm almost 50, graduated from Ole Miss last May with my Paralegal degree and am working in a law office. I owed a 1977 Camaro in my teen years into my twenties but traded it (stupid, stupid, stupid). I loved that car. I got married, had kids, stayed home with kids etc etc etc. You get the drift.

I have a very thick skin toward many things, but it felt like a I can buy a new car so mine is better than yours. My misreading, my apologies for reacting to quickly.

Ok back to the car. 1st mistake I did not buy the car at a Chevy Dealership. I went to another dealership because of the salesman who I like very much as a person. He told me they were going to go over the car from tail to front to be sure it was in good condition since they were bringing it in from another lot. They charged me for bringing it and for going over the car.

I do not believe they went over anything. It makes sense to me that they would have lifted the air filter out of the air box to look under to see if the air filter was dirty or any of the intakes were clogged, whatever.

Having said that - sensors go out. According to the Chevy dealership that is really helping me, the O2 sensors go out more often than people think. I will be taking the car to the Chevy dealership in a couple of week. They are going to provide me a loaner vehicle while they go over the car and fix anything and everything that is covered under the powertrain or the extended. I'm good with that.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Let's look at it this way ... we all have used cars now, so it doesn't really matter ;) Congrats on your degree ... hope you like your job and it leads you to where you want to be. As for service on your Camaro, over time I haven't been a big believer in dealer service, I always thought they were a bit overpriced, always needed an appointment (which I'm not big on planning like that), and were never open on weekends when it is easy for me to get in. That said, I have been pretty well pleased with my dealer and the Camaro and they may have earned my long term business. The important thing is for you to trust your service provider and establish a good relationship. O2 sensor are a true PITA, not sure why we really even need them myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with you on the dealership aspect. I'm not really much of a believer in them either. However, when the throttle position sensor went out, the dealership I purchased the car at moved it to the Chevy dealership across the street. The service manager has bent over backwards to help me get things straightened out. Not easy with a pissed off, crying female is on the other end of the phone line.

Thanks on the congrats; I appreciate it. I didn't really tell all that for acknowledgement; I told it because I wanted to convey where I was coming from. Lord knows if I could have bought a new 2015 I would have in an instant. I'm in love with this car almost as much as my '77. But, sincerely, thank you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with you on the dealership aspect. I'm not really much of a believer in them either. However, when the throttle position sensor went out, the dealership I purchased the car at moved it to the Chevy dealership across the street. The service manager has bent over backwards to help me get things straightened out. Not easy with a pissed off, crying female is on the other end of the phone line.

Thanks on the congrats; I appreciate it. I didn't really tell all that for acknowledgement; I told it because I wanted to convey where I was coming from. Lord knows if I could have bought a new 2015 I would have in an instant. I'm in love with this car almost as much as my '77. But, sincerely, thank you.
Even a 2010 is a New car in my book---They all look the same anyway, Doesnt matter what year youve got---Have Fun with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts