Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my friend who drives an 08 accord got pulled over today in NJ for holing her GPS in her hand. I think this is total bull****. I don't know how many people on here have actually driven on NJ roads but they're a tad bit difficult if you are not from around here. Also, i high recommend buying a double-din radio that has navigation built it but not everyone can afford this. (Unexpected creations, 6spdcoupe contact them, and they'll help you out) Then to add insult to injury, the cop decides to take her PBA card instead of writing up a ticket that shouldn't exist in the first place. But while this was going on, I'm being cut-off and people are almost hitting me with no cops to be found. WTF!!!!! :angry:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome to New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten viciously. i used to have 8 pts on my license now i have like 2 since i got my 5th gen 2 years ago.....they really pay attention to red more than black...i can vouch for it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Driving isnt the time to be reading books, talking on the phone, playing videos, texting, etc., etc.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Whats a PBA card?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
they took her professional bowling association card away from her?!?! thats BS!

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
First off they are allowed to take your PBA card they dont have to give it back... The way you worded it sounds like she didnt get a ticket so why complain? Where you were when this was going on? If you were on the side on the road on the shoulder you shouldnt of have that problem...

As 4Whldrftn said driving isnt the time to be fiddling around with any devices your concentration should be on the road

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Lived in S Jeresy for 21 years.... I do not miss it except for the pizza and cheesesteaks! You can keep the rest of it!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Cops are busting down on every thing. Need the revenue to stay in business. The fastest driver or worst does not always get caught. It is the ones they can get to the quickest.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Cops are busting down on every thing. Need the revenue to stay in business. The fastest driver or worst does not always get caught. It is the ones they can get to the quickest.
Not a very effective revenue generator if the cop doesn't write a ticket.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Not a very effective revenue generator if the cop doesn't write a ticket.
That is true. But in general the police departments have been using that practice for forever. But more in resent years due to economy. Here in Georgia for example: window tint, lights, tags, speeding and etc. I have do not have a problem with that. Breaking the traffic laws is just that, breaking the law. They do need to be enforced. But in his friend situation is just that, it was his turn. Just put down the device and you will not get busted.

:D

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
its not illegal to use handheld GPS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C'mon, I can understand if it was a cell phone or something like that, but I never thought it was illegal to be using a GPS. She's happy that she didn't get a ticket, and I understand they can take the card, and i would agree if it wasn't for a GPS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PBA card, and no has nothing to do with bowling. lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
PBA card is a mild form of bribery depending on how you look at it. But you pay for it up front. Around here, it's the Fraternal Order of Police or something like that. You get a sticker or a card (or both) saying you gave $$ to some police officer fund. 99% of the time, they see that sticker if you get pulled over, you get some preferential treatment. The wife used to give to them, and sure nuff, when she got pulled over by a trooper for speeding one day, he strolled up to the car with the ticket book in hand. Then he made mention of the sticker to the wife...imagine that, he told her to slow down and enjoy the rest of her day.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
First off they are allowed to take your PBA card they dont have to give it back... The way you worded it sounds like she didnt get a ticket so why complain? Where you were when this was going on? If you were on the side on the road on the shoulder you shouldnt of have that problem...

As 4Whldrftn said driving isnt the time to be fiddling around with any devices your concentration should be on the road
x2

distracted driving laws (eating, applying makeup, reading, phones, etc) have been on the books for decades. In many places, they have wasted ink creating specific laws for things like texting etc. While they are dangerous, it has always been illegal.

Want a GPS? Mount it like a normal person. Just NOT on the windshield where I see so many tools around here doing so...

·
8,984 Posts
In Texas we buy maps, then we read them, then we know how to get places. :D

What does GPS stand for?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Small distractions cause big accidents. A driver distracted by a phone, gps, doing makeup, turning around to get something out of the backseat etc, can be just as dangerous as a drunk driver. I stopped a guy who went through a red light and almost hit me in my patrol car. He never even saw the light, he said he was typing a new address in his gps. Now he was honest and he apologized and thanked me. He got a warning. Keep in mind most times distracted drivers do something to draw our attention besides the holding of the phone or gps. There is a reason we enforce what seems petty to some and until you have witnessed someone taking their last breath at a crash site or had to hold somebody's hand while they are pinned in a car waiting for fire board to cut them out and their friend is dead in the seat right behind him you wouldnt understand. You can get mad at us talk about us whatever but hopefully it will make you and your friend more aware even for a little while.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts