Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
xxSkullZxx
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if you all take your Camaro's to your dealer for basic services like oil changes, tire rotations and things like that or do you go to the Jiffy Lube, Quick Lane type places? I know there are probably a lot of you that do all of this your self, but I am not "one of those guys" as I know NOTHING about cars so to speak!

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I was curious if you all take your Camaro's to your dealer for basic services like oil changes, tire rotations and things like that or do you go to the Jiffy Lube, Quick Lane type places? I know there are probably a lot of you that do all of this your self, but I am not "one of those guys" as I know NOTHING about cars so to speak!
Jiffy Lube lost all our business when they didn't tighten the plug for the differential and refused to live up to it until threatened with court

Otherwise most of my older cars go to a chain shop that has gained my confidence over the years

The Camaro goes to the dealer (at least for now)

Right now, my issue is more about time than capability but I do have a lot more confidence in a shop than in my own abilities lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
so many dealers sale service packages now, I bought one that has lifetime $30 service credit every 3 months and 2 free details a year, nitrogen in the tires, and some other benefits for like $450. and they clean every thing, shampoo the rugs, wax, they do the works.

so oil changes cost me like $15 at the dealer.

if not, you can find deals for dealer service, for a while GM was putting out coupons for $29.95 oil changes,, I used to have a lifetime coupon to a Nissan dealer for $17 oil changes,, and they lived up to it, used it like 5 times,, ofcourse once I let them sale me about $300 in other services like an induction cleaning and radiator flush,, but those are good things to do,,

I once had a tires plus right next to my apartment and they were a great shop, they were even open on sundays,, I had lots of stuff done there, from tires, to a power steering pump replaced, to diff & brake fluid changed,, they were super fast, prices were really good and never had any problems,

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
so many dealers sale service packages now, I bought one that has lifetime $30 service credit every 3 months and 2 free details a year, nitrogen in the tires, and some other benefits for like $450. and they clean every thing, shampoo the rugs, wax, they do the works.

if not, you can find deals for dealer service, for a while GM was putting out coupons for $29.95 oil changes,, I used to have a lifetime coupon to a Nissan dealer for $17 oil changes,, and they lived up to it, used it like 5 times,, ofcourse once I let them sale me about $300 in other services like an induction cleaning and radiator flush,, but those are good things to do,,

I once had a tires plus right next to my apartment and they were a great shop, they were even open on sundays,, I had lots of stuff done there, from tires, to a power steering pump replaced, to diff & brake fluid changed,, they were super fast, prices were really good and never had any problems,
That last statement is a big part of why I use the chain for most of my cars versus the dealer ... I don't have to plan for an oil change, I can just drive up and drop it off ... 95% of the time I get it back the same day, often within the hour ... the other 5%, I am usually in late or something truly unexpected pops up ... dealer hours are just not really convenient ... that said, since the Camaro is not my daily driver I make the concession.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
When I do go to a shop, there are only 3 places I will go. I go to Sears and only Sears for alignments. I feel that one thing Sears does very well is alignments and I trust them completely. I go to a small shop in my city for any other work because I've been going to them for the past 8 or 9 years. They seriously do the best work and charge the least prices. A few years ago they fully impressed me with an engine install they did on my Stang. And I go to Tire Farm for tires because they have the best prices and I've known for their entire family for over 10 years...I even worked for them over 10 years ago.

As far as doing your own work, you'd be surprised at what you can actually do especially on these newer Camaros. An oil change is the simplest thing you can do and it literally takes 15-20 minutes. I know you say you are not one of those guys but you'd be surprised. If ever you feel like you wanna do your own maintenance, I and others will gladly give you step by step fool-proof directions. And believe it or not, its actually fun doing your own work. I'm looking forward to my next oil change, lol!! Basic hand tools, a little patience, attention to detail, and follow a sequence, and you'll see how easy it is.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
When I do go to a shop, there are only 3 places I will go. I go to Sears and only Sears for alignments. I feel that one thing Sears does very well is alignments and I trust them completely. I go to a small shop in my city for any other work because I've been going to them for the past 8 or 9 years. They seriously do the best work and charge the least prices. A few years ago they fully impressed me with an engine install they did on my Stang. And I go to Tire Farm for tires because they have the best prices and I've known for their entire family for over 10 years...I even worked for them over 10 years ago.

As far as doing your own work, you'd be surprised at what you can actually do especially on these newer Camaros. An oil change is the simplest thing you can do and it literally takes 15-20 minutes. I know you say you are not one of those guys but you'd be surprised. If ever you feel like you wanna do your own maintenance, I and others will gladly give you step by step fool-proof directions. And believe it or not, its actually fun doing your own work. I'm looking forward to my next oil change, lol!! Basic hand tools, a little patience, attention to detail, and follow a sequence, and you'll see how easy it is.
:lol: As I read this, I sit here thinking how I can make a 10 minute job last for hours ... I'm STILL trying to get my 4th LED marker light in ... I've been under the car on at least 3 occasions trying to get the OEM one to release ... I hear it is soooooo easy, but if you have a big arm like mine, you cannot reach up there and give the button the easy push it needs. So far I can get a screw driver on the tab but it won't budge ... I'm sure I'll get it done at some point but that's the way my "10 minute jobs" go :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm so surprise how easy GM made the oil changes on these camaros ! You prolly wouldn't believe how easy it is! I don't know of any other car that is as easy as our camaros.The filter is on The top, now it don't get no easier than that! The maintenance was the only reason why I didn't know about getting a new car. Especially , American made. I'm still wondering what was GM up too.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I do maintenance myself. Jiffy Lube RUINED my wife's V6 Ford Probe by not tightening the oil filter. It fell off and they had her drive back so they could put another one on. This was shortly before I met her. Never again. Crooked idiots.

For big stuff, I'll either go to the dealer or my best friend...It's depends on if I have the time to go to his place or not.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I do maintenance myself. Jiffy Lube RUINED my wife's V6 Ford Probe by not tightening the oil filter. It fell off and they had her drive back so they could put another one on. This was shortly before I met her. Never again. Crooked idiots.

For big stuff, I'll either go to the dealer or my best friend...It's depends on if I have the time to go to his place or not.
I pretty much had a similar problem but with the dealer we bought the car from.My wife had her oil changed in her charger srt8,pulled in to the driveway as I was working on my car.I noticed something hanging down,it was the plastic under body shield.I jack the car up,three out of four bolts gone and the one that was left was almost all the way out.So I took the shield off to check the oil plug and filter.I could unscrew the plug with my fingers :angry: .Nobody touches our cars now,I do it all my self with no problems.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I pretty much had a similar problem but with the dealer we bought the car from.My wife had her oil changed in her charger srt8,pulled in to the driveway as I was working on my car.I noticed something hanging down,it was the plastic under body shield.I jack the car up,three out of four bolts gone and the one that was left was almost all the way out.So I took the shield off to check the oil plug and filter.I could unscrew the plug with my fingers :angry: .Nobody touches our cars now,I do it all my self with no problems.
Another Camaro / Charger family :thumbsup: though my wife dared not to go to the SRT :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I've had a "mechanic" overtorque lug nuts so far I broke the 1/2" square drive off a breaker bar trying to get them off. Their claim when confronted? "We use torque stix. That could never happen here."

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've had a "mechanic" overtorque lug nuts so far I broke the 1/2" square drive off a breaker bar trying to get them off. Their claim when confronted? "We use torque stix. That could never happen here."
They may HAVE torque sticks, but I'd bet a pay check that they don't actually USE them. Even with torque sticks they're supposed to use one that torques lower than factory recommended and then use a torque wrench to tighten it to actual specs. Back at Sears when I worked there in the late 90s I was the only mechanic there that actually followed that procedure. And of all the places I've been to and worked at back then and since then, I have never seen torque sticks or a torque wrench get used.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I had to STAND on the end of 3" of pipe attached to the breaker bar and BOUNCE to get it to break loose, and I'm 225lbs. (total length about 48") That comes out to 886.2Ft/Lbs, without bouncing. That's INSANE. My 650Ft/Lb impact wrench wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I had to STAND on the end of 3" of pipe attached to the breaker bar and BOUNCE to get it to break loose, and I'm 225lbs. (total length about 48") That comes out to 886.2Ft/Lbs, without bouncing. That's INSANE. My 650Ft/Lb impact wrench wouldn't touch it.
Yea, I've had bolts that just would not break...and then the stud snaps or the bolt strips and then you're really screwed...

·
Support MC & Troops
11,787 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My local dealer is pretty good, so I've trusted them so far... The owner is a friend of ours as well as a frat brother of our nephew, the Service Manager is the nephew of another one of my friends, and we've known our salesman for over 30 years. Knock on wood, but in all the time we've used them, I've never had anything more serious than a starter go out on any of my GMs. Hope my luck holds out!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Tell me where one would look for those type of deals. I live in Texas and I'd love to know where to look.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tell me where one would look for those type of deals. I live in Texas and I'd love to know where to look.
you just have to look around anywhere you find coupons, the $17 deal was 5 years ago or so and it was through an employer discount, but I still see coupons for $19.99 oil changes and stuff all the time at the chain shops, If you want to have a dealer do stuff for you, ask to get on their email list, they'll send you service coupons. Every once in a while GM will advertise $29.95 oil changes to get people in..

oil changes are cheap, so I usually don't bother with doing them myself..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since I am physically unable to do even the basic service I take my Camaro to my dealership for the work. I have been going to this dealer now for 15 years and they have been great. During the summer I see many of the service department guys with their cars at car shows. So, everyone at the dealership knows my car and how much I value it. For my performance mods I take it to Speed Inc. in Schaumburg Ill. and they also do great work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried Jiffy Lube once. And only once. Their oil change monkey bent a guard around a serp belt on an Eclipse that I had, and it started making a real high-pitch squealing noise. They didn't believe me until I started having to lay into the manager. Bunch of under talented crooks imo.

I will be bringing the Camaro to the dealer for oil and tire rotations. I get 2 years of scheduled maintenance for free, so might as well take advantage of it! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts