Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me the scoop.. I know there is stuff posted everywhere, but I want it all in one. Whats everyones perspectives on the MGW, Hurst, and Barton short throws? Pro's/ Con's and install. Lookin to make it easier to flip through those gears!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
really? now ur gonna do this now!? should i bring up the thread i did last week and the answer u gave me? i was actually ready to pull the trigger on the barton, but they're out of stock for about 3 weeks... im waitin on that one, for the price it cant be beat, and quality looks great too

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
though that is very true, I'm still thinking about the warranty, and how Hurst is basically available through GM. Also, Hurst and Barton dont replace the entire shifting housing/unit, where the MGW does, changing the entire experience. Once again, too many choices!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I went with the MGW. But I am nuts - I bought the shifter without having the car, so I can not give you any feedback yet ...

Check back Monday. I pick up my car Thursday night after work. Friday night install.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just put an LG motorsports short throw in my 2SS and i love it! Was a PITA to put in, BUT much less so than having to drop the ass of the trans to get the whole assembly out of the car, its just the stick portion and honestly it feels better than the hurst to me! Speed inc has them for 199, cheapest i seen.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
did you make sure they all work on the LT???

just installed the Hurst...shifts great. Only little complaints are that if you rest your hand on it, it does transmit a little drivetrain noise and when it's in gear, there is a little play in it (moves side to side a little). MGW is going to be the best shifter you can get...but it's more $$$ and bigger job to install. All the others are probably pretty similiar to each other.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know theyd do something like that. It seems to me that the MGW would be the best one because its a TOTAL replacement. My stock shifter or gear box is straight up crap. I get so much resistance trying to go into second gear that its hard to have a nice strong launch with good shifts. The MGW could possibly help that, but i know if anything goes wrong with the powertrain, the dealer will write me a bill and just laugh at me.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
you know theyd do something like that. It seems to me that the MGW would be the best one because its a TOTAL replacement. My stock shifter or gear box is straight up crap. I get so much resistance trying to go into second gear that its hard to have a nice strong launch with good shifts. The MGW could possibly help that, but i know if anything goes wrong with the powertrain, the dealer will write me a bill and just laugh at me.
I guess if your synchros go, they could try and blame the shorter throw...but you wont be missing any gears, so it should help the trans. :D I can't see them blaming any other problems on the shifter. If you're worried, you can actually use the stock knob on the MGW or the Hurst...the dealer doesn't have to know.:thumbsup: Or you can see if the GMPP version of the Hurst is available yet and have the dealer install it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts