Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to dinner with the wife the other night and as i backed out of the parking space the lower front lip caught the curbstone and snapped the clips by the front fenders where the side markers are. at first i thought it was my fault but upon closer inspection i saw there were 2 bolts missing from the underside of the front fascia. i know for sure they were missing as the nut itself is welded to the frame and if the head of the bolt broke off there wouldve been threads stuck in the hole still or the plastic wouldve been ripped. these missing bolts caused a major fascia sag under the car which is why it caught so low. i park there all the time with my camaro (we were in hers that night) and have never hit this curbstone before either. should chevy or the dealer pay for the repairs since it was missing the bolts and would not have caught if it was fastened properly?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You could attempt to give that story to a service writer, but you'll have a hard time proving the bolts were missing. The body shop will probably say they came off when you hit the curb.

Classic he-said, she-said.
Hey they put my passenger side tires on backwards at the factory... anything's possible. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no way for those 2 bolts to fall out. as i explained the nuts are welded in place and the bolts are inch or inch and a half so its not likely that both would just fall out. i also think if it got hooked real bad with them in place that they would rip through the plastic before it broke the heads off.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I don't know who is responsible for your case, but I'm surprised mine is still attached. I used to drive an SUV and didn't have to worry about curb clearance. Several times, I've scrapped/dragged that black piece below the lower painted piece. Ughhhh!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the missing bolts caused roughly 3-4 inches of lowering on that fascia. i took it in today and it looks like they will be fixing it for free. a new nose is required for the fix. i do not have any pics at this time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pics

this is by the driver side front side marker light. there is a hole and a screw here and when it got caught it ripped the hole so the screw cant keep it in place. i have it tucked in as far as i can right now but it keeps popping out. it broke the holes on both sides of the car but the driver side is worse. the passenger side tucked in well and has stayed so its barely noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the bolts that were missing are under the nose in the center. if you lay on the ground and look under they are the only 2 bolts there. take em out and the lower center will hang down a few inches. i couldnt get a pic of them with my cam phone

·
Registered
262 Posts
On quite a few of the front covers that we have taken off to install accessories these bolts are very loose or missing. Many early VIN cars have had problems with loose bolots on several areas of the car. (spoiler comes to mind) Glad that the dealer took care of you on that one. If not your insurance sure would.

On a side note....You wouldn't believe the amount of new mercedes owners that come in to our shop with the front bumper in the trunk from tearing it off on a parking curbstop. These bumpers aren't held on by much anyway. :lol: These people drive $100,000.00 cars and they think they are indestuctible. Then they wonder why it costs so much to repair. Don't even get me started on how I lecture these same customers when they install Eibach lowering springs and wonder why their car gets tore up when the drive it hard. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts