Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 29.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Camaro should be able to run E85 flexfuel. Would be a huge marketing advantage to be the first "green" musclecar.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
85% Ethanol, 15% gasoline.

The downside is ethanol has 10% less energy per lb, so that means 10% less HP, or I guess 8.5% in this respect, but since its alcohol, you should be able to make up some Hp with more timing (octane rating) and by simply upping fuel delivery....MPG would drop but if its cheaper and not from a terrorist state, its all good IMO.

Even if its just on the V6 models I think there should be a flex fuel Camaro available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i dont see why not. brazil has been using ethanol for a long time and they had a special on tv the other day. a gm flex-fuel car had almost as much hp on the ethonal as on regular gass at like $1 less per gallon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well

it is going to be DOD Why not E85. Might be worth it. Maybe an Option?

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
E85 needs to gain alot of popularity before it's practical.
As it is now, there aren't too many gas stations that sell E85, so the price is higher yet.
Once it becomes commonplace, the price would level off and it would make more sense.

The reason is that E85 is only 70-80% as efficient as regular gasoline, so your 30mpg becomes 21-24mpg.
So if regular gasoline is $2.30/gal, E85 would need to be in the $1.61/gal - $1.84/gal range for it to even pay for itself.

Right now around here regular gas is around $2.30 and E85 is around $2.00. Not finanically worth it.

....that said, I'm neutral to the 5th Gen being a FlexFuel vehicle, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I say no. Plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Camaro4Life said:
The LS motors will not have E85 capability.
Not true...
There are tens of thousands of LS-based engines in trucks now that are E85 capable.
Still being built too.

And in 2006, the 5.3L LS4 in the FWD cars is E85 capable. As well is the 5.3L in the trucks.

It's not really engine specific though... has more to do with the fuel system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what you have to consider is: E85 would allow you to increase your timing, and therefor not lose as much power or MPG. the problem with current systems is, cars run basicly the same no matter whihc fuel you put in. it's doesn't "switch" when you switch fuel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Well, maybe on the V6.

But on any of the 8's I think it dramtically takes away from what the car is. It's a muscle car. They're not good for the evirnonment, they're not great on gas, and I feel that's they way they should be. They'd be taking away too much of what a muscle car is IMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
gettinthere said:
Well, maybe on the V6.

But on any of the 8's I think it dramtically takes away from what the car is. It's a muscle car. They're not good for the evirnonment, they're not great on gas, and I feel that's they way they should be. They'd be taking away too much of what a muscle car is IMO.
no one said you had to run the car on E85. having it capable of doing it takes nothing "away" from the car, it will still run just like normal if you use normal gasoline.

what your trying to say is basicly, if it doens't make XXX amount of hp then no one should want to buy it even if it gets great gas milage because that's not "what it's supposed to be". well i'll tell you this: the time of the "Muscle" car has passed. It doens't SELL anymore, or not enough to have the vehicle be profitable (aka, why they killed off the f-bod to begin with). No company is going to profitabbly build a car that you and i coudl buy, that doens't appeal to the mass public. the mod market is only a fraction of those who would purchase the car, building the car purely for them would be a futile effort.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know that it physically won't take anything away. But to me, it'll take away mentally and emotionally. I know I'm in the minority here, but that's how I feel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts