Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've ditched my pursuit of the Challenger and have decided to grab a 2LT or maybe a 1SS silver Camaro. However, I have absolutely no idea how they feel on the road. For those of you that have either one, how is the ride?

I would assume the SS is a much stiffer suspension than the LT's? By comparison, the Challenger SRT(6.1L) is a very stiff suspension compared to their RT's(5.7). The RT's ride almost like a luxury car.

Any input from the peanut gallery on how rough the ride is on the two? The dealerships around here will not let you test drive so I will have to rely on you guys' comments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I road in a 2SS 2 weeks ago,, It rides just about as good as my wife's Escalade.. No joke.. It is very smooth and quite.. no stiff at all.. and hell-a-better than my 4th gen. :)
That's actually very surprising to hear. Even my dealer told me the SS will be a pretty stiff ride. But since they seem to know very little about the car from the questions I've asked, I doubt they've even driven the thing yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was hot and heavy for a Challenger myself, being a lifetime Mopar guy and all, but my reason for not getting one was the greedy dealers adding 5K to the price and almost 3K for the 6cyl - which is what I wanted. I never drove a Challenger (new one) but I can tell you that my 1LT drives smooth and tight. The steering is very responsive and the ride is very comfortable. I just drove my car all the way from Long Island to Carlisle PA for the Mopar show last week and it handled the NYC bumps and potholes very nicely - It didn't bounce all over the road when I hit one and it was easy to correct when a bump threw it for a loop. The suspension is firm but yet not stiff like a truck. You will be pleased with the ride - no doubt. Now, you can't test drive one at your dealer?? That stinks. The first words out of my dealer's mouth when I inquired about the car on his lot was, "You need to drive this"! - so I did and bought it that afternoon. Good luck with your decision, mine was tough but the Dodge dealers made it easy for me and I now truly believe that the Camaro is a MUCH superior car than the Challenger. Rob :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I have the 2LT and wow the best riding car i ever owned no joke. I took it on a road trip aprox 3+ hours it felt like i drove 30 minutes i wasn't tired afterwards no car lag it was amazing. Smooth... quiet... comfy... and of course quick:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the good info guys.

I still think the Challenger is a great car. But between them almost sliding into Chapter 7, the "market adjustments" they were trying to do outside of when they offered EPP, and the horrible looking blingy plastic rims they have on the RT's, I finally decided to give up on it. Besides, since they haven't even started production again for the 2010's, there are almost no Challengers left on the lots anyway.

One more thing, what about the blind spot on the Camaro? It's not that big a deal having to use the mirrors when changing lanes. But I'm mostly concerned about backing out of a parking place. I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of invisible oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In my opinion, the blind spot is bad. It is difficult to back up and you need to really know your surroundings on the highway before you change lanes. However, when you adjust the outside rear view mirrors correctly, it isn't that bad. Rob

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
In my opinion, the blind spot is bad. It is difficult to back up and you need to really know your surroundings on the highway before you change lanes. However, when you adjust the outside rear view mirrors correctly, it isn't that bad. Rob

I agree but once you get use to it its not that bad just have to pay attention a little more :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldn't get a test drive either...

I'm looking for a V6 RWD Coupe, and I had a chance to test drive the Genisis @ an auto-x demo they were doing here on Long Island.

But I went to Paul Conte Chevy and was told they don't test drive Corvettes or Camaros (Now that's understandable for V8s but for a V6 come on) I'd even drive an automatic :(

I'm not going to buy a car I've never driven or even rode in...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I have a 2LT. The ride is firm, not harsh.
I had an Envoy before the Camaro. The Envoy rode as good as a Buick or Caddy, but I wouldn't put the Camaro in that class. The Camaro handles better, accelerates better and brakes better.
Folks NOTICE the Camaro. Get used to it and SMILE back!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok, On a very smooth concrete Hwy. Yes the SS camaro's drive is excellent. Responsive, Tight and firm. On anything else, by no means a luxury ride. The ride is very tight, so you will fell every bump and groove in asphfalt roads. (I dont know about dirt roads. I don't drive on them...) But, you didn't buy it for a luxury car ride. You bought it to jam them gears, and smoke some tires. Eh! Ride, and forget about it!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Got the 2SS and took it for a 3 week ride, 16 states, compared to my and other Camaros I have driven IT IS A LUXURY RIDE. Get a smooth stretch of road, it's like riding in butter. Just like any other sports car though, if you expect to feel the road and get a good grip when you are on it, you are going to feel the road just the same when you are crusin, you are going to feel a bumpy road. I am not trying to pit the ride of my '10 up to any other car, cause I'm sure there are smoother rides out there, maybe for even less money, but this Camaro's ride improved SO MUCH compared to to my 3rd gen that when I first got down to really driving it I couldn't beleive it was a Camaro.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I couldn't get a test drive either...

I'm looking for a V6 RWD Coupe, and I had a chance to test drive the Genisis @ an auto-x demo they were doing here on Long Island.

But I went to Paul Conte Chevy and was told they don't test drive Corvettes or Camaros (Now that's understandable for V8s but for a V6 come on) I'd even drive an automatic :(

I'm not going to buy a car I've never driven or even rode in...

Any ideas?
Yeah...go to a different dealer! That's ridiculous. No reason (unless all they have on the lot are SOLD orders) they can't let you test drive one.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The first time I drove it, I had a hard time convincing myself that it was a Chevy. :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i hit my head on the ceiling... and i told the salesman, i'm sorry but i'm going to need my down payment back, he then showed me how to lower the seat!
That's the first thing all salesman should do with the camaro as soon as they arrive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts