Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woot! It was announced that Sirius bought out XM. I'll be able to get Sirius in my SS!:D

FCC approves satellite radio merger in 3-2 vote
Federal regulators formally approved the merger of the nation's only two satellite radio operators Friday, ending a 16-month-long drama closely watched by Washington and Wall Street.

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s $3.3 billion buyout of rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. will mean 18 million-plus subscribers will be able to receive programming from both services. Executives say it will mean huge cost savings that will lead to a first-ever profit for the relatively nascent industry.

The Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 to approve the buyout, with the tiebreaker coming Friday night from Republican commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate.

Tate had insisted that the companies settle charges that they violated FCC rules before she would approve the deal. The companies agreed this week to pay $19.7 million to the U.S. Treasury for violations related to radio receivers and ground-based signal repeaters operated by the companies.

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin confirmed the final vote Friday night.

"I think it's going to be, in the end, a good thing for consumers and be in the public interest," he told The Associated Press.

The approval appeared to hit a glitch on Friday when a dispute surfaced between the chairman and Tate over the violations, but differences between the two were quickly resolved, and the approval went forward.

The long-running regulatory review was watched closely by exasperated investors anxious for a resolution as well as satellite radio customers with questions about what impact the merger would have on their service.

The approval was a major blow for the land-based radio industry, which lobbied hard against the buyout. It was also opposed by consumer groups, various members of Congress and state attorneys general, all of whom argued a satellite radio merger would hurt consumers and was not in the public interest.

"They kept each other on their toes," Democratic commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said of the two companies. "I hope they keep their edge and don't become a fat and happy monopoly."

Adelstein voted against the buyout as did fellow Democrat Michael Copps. Joining Martin and Tate in approving the deal was Republican commissioner Robert McDowell.

The companies said the combination would create hundreds of millions of dollars in cost savings and lead to greater choice in programming for subscribers and flexible pricing options.

© Copyright 2008 CSC Holdings, Inc.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
How is this not considered a monopoly? The only 2 satellite radio companies I've ever heard of.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is this not considered a monopoly? The only 2 satellite radio companies I've ever heard of.
A monopoly for who? If there were other 'smaller' sat-radio companies out there, then I would certainly classify this as a monopoly. There aren't any other competitors that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Any idea when this will happen? More importantly, when will it actually work on my Sirius Radio?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats why it took so long to get approved. Their argument was that regular radio, HD radio, internet radio, and MP3 players were all competitors.
Gotcha.....I didn't consider the others competitors since they're a 'different' media. I'm still not seeing the big deal in regards to them taking away a large percentage of the listening market. I like Sirius for the music choice, and more importantly the lack of advertisements. I PAY for commercial free entertainment , as do millions of other people.It's a personal choice and in order to stay competitive you need to offer what the people want and are willing to pay for.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That's going to change about the commercial free part. XM already has some commercials.

When pay radio first came out, I predicted that the subscription rates wouldn't keep up with the operating costs, and commercials would work their way in exactly the same way cable did back in the late 70s. Remember when MTV was COMMERCIAL FREE??? I bet you can't. Cuz that didn't last very long. So Sirius and XM weren't going to last the same way as it is.

I do like the idea of channelized genres, so if you like jazz, metal, funk, R&B, easy listening, etc, you have channel choices, but your airwaves will soon be crammed with Pizza Hut commericals or in the last rental car we had in Phoenix last week with XM radio--what was it..."dino-vite" commericals for dog food or something like that??? Heard it about 5 or 6 times in one day on XM channel 1, whatever that was. Never played with the radio stations to care, but dang. WTF with commercials on pay raido?

So give me mp3 or iPod plug ins, or even CDs any day of the week. No commericals to worry about then, unless you put them on there.

Of course, it could end up the same way as the futuristic "Demolition Man" radio when old commercial jingles were the main songs of the airways. It may have been a poke at today's commercialized takeover of radio.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
As a Sirius subscriber, they only tout commercial free music. I listen to comedy and the NASCAR channel (both on race day and during the week - I like talk radio. There is something about listening to sports on the radio - when the broadcast is good - that TV just can't touch. Don't blame me, blame my parents. I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life and grew up listening to Vin Scully my whole life. When you grow up Vin, his words are worth a 1000 pictures). I do not mind the commercials on the talk stations.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You may not mind now, but they'll invade other stations. Just a matter of time. And you're paying to listen to them, just as I am with DTV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I have XM in all my cars and sirius on my boat, so with the merger will XM players recieve sirius channels and vice-versa, if so that would be great

·
Registered
544 Posts
Watch them raise the monthly subscription because there's no competition now. Before, XM and Sirius were in competition with each other and that probably helped keep prices low, but now...

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I think the neatest irony is the fact that Sirius an XM both have ads on regular radio stations, advertising that they don't have ads.

The reason I said monopoly is that when it comes to satellite radio, there are no competitors, so they can jack the price up, whereas before they had each other to keep the prices low. Sure, there's HD Radio, and regular radio, but the reason people paid for satellite is because it was better.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Good point. There does come a pricing point (elasticity) where people won't spend a bunch of money for radio programming. So if the price goes up, some listeners will go away. And it still costs the same to run the programs, so either they get smaller by reducing programming/laying off workers, more efficient, or go to alternative subsidizing (corporate commercials). I'm betting on the latter because that's so much easier to do, and corporations looking for uncharted audiences to peddle their wares will be all to happy to oblige.

But don't take my word for it. Just come back in about 3 or 4 years and look up this thread to compare and see if things play out as I predict.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I love XM and don't care for Sirius. We have Sirius at our house. I hope they don't merge stations too because XM's rock stations > Sirius rock stations. XM's dance stations> Sirius' rock stations. And nothing tops XM 150. Uncensored comedy FTW.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Watch them raise the monthly subscription because there's no competition now. Before, XM and Sirius were in competition with each other and that probably helped keep prices low, but now...
It looks like they are going to have different channel/price tiers...probably will be more expensive if you want all the channels...but at lease it seems like you'll have a choice.

This was part of the press release...

"conditions the FCC imposed on the merger would ensure that satellite radio customers would be able to access the best programming from both XM and Sirius and choose smaller, lower-priced packages of programming if they want."

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
Not sure how much pull Stern has with Sirius. But I remember back when this first came out and he heard about OnA bad mouthing him he said they would be the first to go. I could go on about that.
But Sirius has playboy radio FTW :D All Elvis from Graceland! And a whole slew of others. I guess its what your used to. I know XM's dance/electronica/house is much better. But I hope that there will be a melding into something that we all can enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Not sure how much pull Stern has with Sirius. But I remember back when this first came out and he heard about OnA bad mouthing him he said they would be the first to go. I could go on about that.
But Sirius has playboy radio FTW :D All Elvis from Graceland! And a whole slew of others. I guess its what your used to. I know XM's dance/electronica/house is much better. But I hope that there will be a melding into something that we all can enjoy!
You just want the Toyota Channel. All the car magazine articles extolling Toyota cars/trucks read by John Goodman, separated by Toyota ads. :D

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
You just want the Toyota Channel. All the car magazine articles extolling Toyota cars/trucks read by John Goodman, separated by Toyota ads. :D

I see enough of the BS tundra commercials watching any TV. I dont need that crap too.:BangHead:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I see enough of the BS tundra commercials watching any TV. I dont need that crap too.:BangHead:
+1...have you seen the turdra commercial where the father tells the son: "See that truck over there?...I built that truck." What a joke. On the subject, I have had XM for 3 years now. I'm hoping this merger doesn't screw it all up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The guy in the Toyota commercials is so annoying. I can't help but gladly change the channel every time those commercials come on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts