Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2014 2LT a couple weeks back and when I first test drove it, noticed a very strong burning smell after driving for 10 min or so. The salesman said that since it was just shipped in (car had 4 miles and all the plastic wrapping when I first saw it), they coat the exhaust to prevent rusting and the smell is just from the chemicals burning off. He said that it will probably burn off after 1000 miles or so.

I'm currently at just under 1300 miles and although that burning smell isn't as strong, I still notice it if I have my windows down and have been driving for a while. Is this normal or should I be worried?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Mine did the same thing, its normal. Congrats on the Camaro and welcome to the site..

·
Registered
383 Posts
I purchased a new 2014 2LT a couple weeks back and when I first test drove it, noticed a very strong burning smell after driving for 10 min or so. The salesman said that since it was just shipped in (car had 4 miles and all the plastic wrapping when I first saw it), they coat the exhaust to prevent rusting and the smell is just from the chemicals burning off. He said that it will probably burn off after 1000 miles or so.

I'm currently at just under 1300 miles and although that burning smell isn't as strong, I still notice it if I have my windows down and have been driving for a while. Is this normal or should I be worried?
Sharkie,

Congrats on your acquisition but sorry to hear about the smell. Keep us posted on this condition and let us know if you need assistance getting that diagnosed by the dealer if necessary.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sharkie,
Congrats also. I too had that issue and everyone was right. Right around the 1000 mile mark, it went away. Good luck, and keep grinnin!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It will go away.. no worries.. If it was something major it would have caught fire by now lol.. j/k .. Congrats!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Agree w/the rest. Normal burn-off. But always be aware, we see from time to time a plastic grocery bag stuck to the exhaust/cats and melted/burned on as well as the occasional bag sucked up blocking the radiator/condenser.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts