Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I smoked some chicken leg quarters yesterday. They turned out good. I had the fever and the quarters were quick. We have had a lot of rain for the past month or so.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
My chicken got burned in Knoxville last night. Oh, my aching tail feathers.
Gators are coming to clean up what was left over. LOL. If we just had an offense, we would be a real contender.

On the smoker idea, I have an egg, but don't cook everything on it. My wife likes the wings and butts I've done in the past. If you are going to smoke meat, and do it right, it could very well eat up a good part of the weekend. :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gators are coming to clean up what was left over. LOL. If we just had an offense, we would be a real contender.

On the smoker idea, I have an egg, but don't cook everything on it. My wife likes the wings and butts I've done in the past. If you are going to smoke meat, and do it right, it could very well eat up a good part of the weekend. :lol:
Haha, yea I stopped using my charcoal one in favor of an electric a couple weeks ago, makes the process much easier :D

It's pretty much an outdoor oven at that point, diehards say you some of the flavor, but it all tastes good to me, tending a fire isn't fun after 9 or 10 hours on a brisket. Chicken came out very tender, but it was pretty much gone by the time I remembered I was supposed to take a picture :BangHead:

Doubt i'll do a whole chicken again, too much work prepping it and not as much meat as just buying a pack of chicken breasts. Prob just try those next time.:p

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Can you cook a drunken chicken on a smoker??? They are good on a grill.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you cook a drunken chicken on a smoker??? They are good on a grill.
if by drunken chicken you mean beer can chicken, that's a definite, but I've been going off a site called amazingribs.com and he argues pretty hard against the original theory, as the beer actually does very little in the way of penetrating the meat and can actually cause the chicken to be undercooked in the center when the rest is done, so by the time you cook it long enough to get the center everything else is dry. :eek:

Simply cutting the chicken (or turkey) in half seems to be a better way of keeping the moisture in that meat and maximizing flavor, and I have to say the flavor of the meat I cooked this weekend was probably top 10 for cooked chickens for me!

it's a bit of a read, but great info to be had.
Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
love smoked, but too lazy to learn :lol: and don't need another 'gadget' when trying to downsize

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
if by drunken chicken you mean beer can chicken, that's a definite, but I've been going off a site called amazingribs.com and he argues pretty hard against the original theory, as the beer actually does very little in the way of penetrating the meat and can actually cause the chicken to be undercooked in the center when the rest is done, so by the time you cook it long enough to get the center everything else is dry. :eek:

Simply cutting the chicken (or turkey) in half seems to be a better way of keeping the moisture in that meat and maximizing flavor, and I have to say the flavor of the meat I cooked this weekend was probably top 10 for cooked chickens for me!

it's a bit of a read, but great info to be had.
Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer
That's it!! You don't have to use beer. Some folks use water and some use Coca Cola!! My neighbor has a smoker, but I've only seen pork in it. Maybe I'll put him up to doing some chickens soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
smoked salmon mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's it!! You don't have to use beer. Some folks use water and some use Coca Cola!! My neighbor has a smoker, but I've only seen pork in it. Maybe I'll put him up to doing some chickens soon. :thumbsup:
Getting ready to do a turkey this weekend, promised some folks at work id do it, and with the turkey spatchcocked I should be under 2 hrs for cook time 👍

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Visited a nephew when he was stationed in Alaska. He grilled some fresh salmon.. I saw then what the big difference was between that and what we get in the lower 48. When returning, I saw several passengers shipping large freezer boxes of the stuff back with them. Think I'll try some next spring on the egg.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Lived in AK a year and a half ... remember the salmon run ... stream packed with them ... go back the day it is legal to fish ... one

there was a land locked salmon .. kokanee or some such that I remember ... that was awesome cooked and you could catch year round

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lived in AK a year and a half ... remember the salmon run ... stream packed with them ... go back the day it is legal to fish ... one

there was a land locked salmon .. kokanee or some such that I remember ... that was awesome cooked and you could catch year round
Think the only salmon native to New Mexico are in Albertsons :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I smoked a Boston Butt on the Bradley this past weekend and it turned out great. Just finished up the last of it this evening. I have a wood/charcoal and prefer the taste of it over the electric, but it just depends on how much time I have as to which one I use.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I smoked a Boston Butt on the Bradley this past weekend and it turned out great. Just finished up the last of it this evening. I have a wood/charcoal and prefer the taste of it over the electric, but it just depends on how much time I have as to which one I use.
The electric is way easier, but i did a turkey on it and it wasn't even close to the regular smoker, everyone else loved it but the wife and I were disappointed lol

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I almost bought an electric one just for convenience. With the egg right there, and I inherited it, I have the gas grill right beside it. Depending on time constraints, I prefer the egg. I did a turkey breast with just the hardwood and it was very moist when done. A 3 hr indirect cook at 325.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts