Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I'd find several discussions in here about it, but maybe they're stuffed into some other area. How does the sucker sound? After reading in C/D how the Challenger team was so proud of how raucous they left its exhaust note and subsequently leaning half my body out the window at a light trying to tell whether the one next to me was running or not, I'm pretty sure domestic* manufacturers are bent over by some unfathomable regulation to keep idle noise boring. When I look at a Camaro, my mind wants it to sit there thrumming contentedly at idle, moving subtly to the beat of a loping cam, emitting just a smile-forcing low, deep, breathy presence. And I can't quite describe in words what it ought to sound like when the hammer's dropped, but it's something Wagner might have conjured to describe the sound of the world being ripped in two, the kind of sound that you just do not expect to come from anything as lowly as a car, a ruckus that has mothers shielding their children for a mile in any direction and artillerymen clutching their hearts with pride.

Well, of course it won't live up to my imagination, but for those in the test loop and those who seem to be claiming to have played on the lot with them, what DOES it sound like? For that matter what kind of comparable vehicles with these powerplants sound like what with current aftermarket offerings? How does the exhaust setup look to those who do a lot of exhausts, and what sounds like a good place to start looking at possible setups?

* - Domestic? As opposed to IMPORTS? Yeah, Italian ones. Gotta love a car company that employs specific people who do nothing but tune exhaust notes like firebreathing pianos :>

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
They've spent a lot of time, and had a lot of ears working on the sound. I'm hoping the SS is loud, because that's one thing I will change, but I don't want to have to.

·
I drive a Honda
118 Posts
It won't be loud, modern exhaust are designed to be quite. :-( Granted, it may sound sexy.

Aftermarket or death.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
It won't be loud, modern exhaust are designed to be quite. :-( Granted, it may sound sexy.

Aftermarket or death.
If those are my choices, then I choose Aftermarket. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
doesn't matter to me.. I will rip out the entire exhaust within 30 miles. just long enough to know who much better the after market stuff sounds.. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I test drove a Dodge Daytona a couple years ago and the idle/ crusing exhaust was quite, but you touch the gas and it had a very nice deep head turning/attention getting rumble. I'm wondering if the Camaro'll be the same way.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
i say f**k it and just run open headers y not (yes i knw u definetly should not do that lol) i want mine loud as hell
I'm glad you don't live on my street (at least I hope you don't live on my street).:mad:

and honestly, it'll probably run like crap with open headers anyway.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
uhh... you can actually make great power with open headers :D ...at least over stock ;)
yeah...if you know a good tuner. If you run open headers, you'll loose low end torque and your PCM will go batty because you wont have any O2 sensors and cats, causing your motor not to run right...no thanks...fine for a 1/4 mile car, but just give me a nice set of hi-flow cats (we do have emissions testing here) and a nice sounding cat back system and I'm happy and have 1 less reason for a cop to pull me over.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I lived in VA I was stopped by a cop while in bumper to bumper rush hour(actually I was at a toll booth in Tsyons corner ) AT IDLE and he asked me to rev the car in neutral. I did so willingly and aggressively.. (I passed the sniffer the yr before) I had hi flow cats and flowmaster 50 series.. the notch sounded great.. the cop did not bother to look under the car and wrote me a ticket for illegal exhaust. I could not believe it.. GET THIS - VA has a law on the books which says your cars exhaust cannot exceed the factory noise levels.. I went to court to dispute - GUILTY!! F'ers.. how could the cop say my car was louder than factory without proof? he did not have any meters or know exactly how loud the factory 5.0 was?! VA laws are f'n ridiculous.. glad to have left that hole.. I live in FL now.. no sniffers here! but I will prolly get high flow cats rather than no cats at all.. we'll see :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah...if you know a good tuner. If you run open headers, you'll loose low end torque and your PCM will go batty because you wont have any O2 sensors and cats, causing your motor not to run right...no thanks...fine for a 1/4 mile car, but just give me a nice set of hi-flow cats (we do have emissions testing here) and a nice sounding cat back system and I'm happy and have 1 less reason for a cop to pull me over.
know about 4 :D

even with no rear O2's and the minimal loss of low end torque you will still gain over the stock setup. your motor will run fine with open headers by the way... your PCM won't go "batty" just because it's throwing a few codes. and running no cats has nothing to do with your PCM, it's the rear O2's unpluged. worked on plenty of cars and did it for about 1 month on my 4th gen. ;) with untuned cam and heads :)

...and you think we don't have emissions testing out there in NAZIFORNIA? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
RrCox, out of curiosity, how does the PCM know what fuel adjustments to make without input from the O2 sensors. You are still keeping the front O2's hooked up, right? The post cat O2's only tell if the cats are doing their job so they don't affect peformance, but just throw an annoying CEL.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
know about 4 :D

even with no rear O2's and the minimal loss of low end torque you will still gain over the stock setup. your motor will run fine with open headers by the way... your PCM won't go "batty" just because it's throwing a few codes. and running no cats has nothing to do with your PCM, it's the rear O2's unpluged. worked on plenty of cars and did it for about 1 month on my 4th gen. ;) with untuned cam and heads :)

...and you think we don't have emissions testing out there in NAZIFORNIA? :lol:

well alrighty then...if that's the case, to each his own I guess. WAY Too loud for my taste...there are better ways to gain some HP on a street car...and like I said, I don't need another reason to get pulled over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RrCox, out of curiosity, how does the PCM know what fuel adjustments to make without input from the O2 sensors. You are still keeping the front O2's hooked up, right? The post cat O2's only tell if the cats are doing their job so they don't affect peformance, but just throw an annoying CEL.
well ya... obviously the front ones are needed or there's going to be no A/F ratio in the exhaust gas to be determined and basically on most cars will cause the PCM to malfuction and kill the engine... far as the rear... they're basically "dummy" sensors which are quite useless... that's why there's such things as O2 sims, and the most preferred option of deleting the codes through a tune

1 - 20 of 36 Posts