Modern Camaro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure this oughtta liven up the discussion a little... ;)

I for one love it. Yeah yeah I know, it's too heavy, it's too much like the original (TOO retro), it's a Chip Foose knockoff... but I've always been a Mopar guy at heart, so it's refreshing to see Mopar FINALLY getting back into the muscle car game after all this time (sorry, the Viper doesn't count). You know what they say about competition improving the breed - in a couple of short years (hopefully sooner), you'll be able to go into a Ford, Dodge or Chevy dealership and actually buy an affordable V8 rear drive 4 passenger muscle car that'll do the 1/4 in the 13s - right off the showroom floor. Who'd have thought that possible even 2 years ago?

I for one can't wait! :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
To me it looks a bit too bland.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Its too literal of an interpretation of a '71. They didn't do anything new or original. That's what I like about the Camaro. There's lots of 1st gen in there, but in a totally new wrapper.

This gives me a thought...we may need a general automotive industry news forum.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Its too literal of an interpretation of a '71. They didn't do anything new or original. That's what I like about the Camaro. There's lots of 1st gen in there, but in a totally new wrapper.

This gives me a thought...we may need a general automotive industry news forum.
:werd: Not enough changes.

And yep.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
I like it, but the design doesn't show much imagination or creativity.
Put a 1970 Challenger in a photocopier, round some edges, and you're done.

Also, it's way too big and heavy.

·
Registered
863 Posts
OctaneZ28 said:
I like it, but the design doesn't show much imagination or creativity.
Put a 1970 Challenger in a photocopier, round some edges, and you're done.

Also, it's way too big and heavy.
4150 lbs or so :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm an old Mopar lover and love to see the Challenger coming back too but 4150lbs??? WOW does it need to go on a diet. Is it all steel or what?

·
Registered
503 Posts
4150 is a pig!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know 4150 lbs has been thrown out there alot as the weight of the Challenger, but I don't think it'll be that much. The Charger and 300Cs weigh about that much - since the Challenger will be based on a shortened Charger platform and will obviously be smaller I can't see it weighing as much as one - that just doesn't compute. :confused:

Gotta remember the original Challenger was a bit of a pig too - the 70-74 models were always a little bigger and heavier than the Mustangs and Camaros of that era - guess it'll be the same way this time around too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I look at it this way if the other two big three were not coming out with these cars and Mustang doing so good do you really think we would be getting a new Camaro again?
I am GM all the way but I do like its looks and the inside is very nice. I think the new camaro has them beat but all 3 are nice looking cars.
Look at it this way if you are the bad boy on the block and there is no one to take you on then whats the point. Let the fun begin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yankee said:
I know 4150 lbs has been thrown out there alot as the weight of the Challenger, but I don't think it'll be that much. The Charger and 300Cs weigh about that much - since the Challenger will be based on a shortened Charger platform and will obviously be smaller I can't see it weighing as much as one - that just doesn't compute. :confused:

Gotta remember the original Challenger was a bit of a pig too - the 70-74 models were always a little bigger and heavier than the Mustangs and Camaros of that era - guess it'll be the same way this time around too.
yes, the Challenger sits on a shorter wheelbase, but it is actually a longer and wider car than the 300 or the Magnum.. due to it's longer overhangs etc.. so if it's longer and wider (by 1" and 0.1" respectively) than the 300 or Magnum.. it probably weighs at least as much

the concept is bigger than the '70 Challenger it's a copy of as well..

DAIMLER CHRYSLER
MFG: METALCRAFTERS
DATE OF MFG: 11/3/05
CURB WEIGHT: 4160 LBS
VIN: 06DETCHA

interesting vin there.. could that mean 2006 Detroint Auto Show Challenger?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you're right about the VIN.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, you're right about the VIN. ;)

You also gotta remember that the car pictured is a concept - like the Camaro concept, that's not an exact representative of what will be the actual car. A few DCX reps that I've heard are claiming that the weight of the actual car will be around 3700-3800 - still a porker no doubt (actually my GTO weighs about that much), but I guess time will tell if they're right or not. We'll see.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would actually expect a production car to be heavier than a concept. Who knows how much hidden stuff they left out of the concept.

You're right, we'll see. I wouldn't hold my breath for 3700.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.