Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be 18 in a few months and to this day I still don't get why the hell people love those little imports. All my friends have either a Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc. I have the only "Muscle" car in the group, or even in my **** school, I kid you not.

I don't like little cars, the obnoxious high-revving to 7k to get the job done, or the fact that everyone has one. The sound of an I4 or V6 just doesn't appeal to me, even if it's from the new GTR with 500hp+. Don't mention MPG, these kids are buying them for performance. :confused:

(They throw on a CAI, and try to tune their car and end up getting 10mpg. I've seen it happen here many times)

It is the thing to do? Have an import? I don't get it. I am a little diehard american I guess so I'll stick with my cars no matter what.

Anyone that can explain this "Scene" to me, feel free.

:confused:

·
8,984 Posts
I have talked to quite a few that were friends of family memebers or whatever and ALOT of them are doing what they can with what they have and are closet V8 fans.

I mean the Baby Boomers are children of the "Children of the Depression".

So some will only buy these high mpg cars.....

The aforementioned and ignorance are the two answers.

ALOT of these guys are lemmings, and see these flashy cars and think they are fast.

I could go on for hours.

There is a funny story about how hydraulics cam about.

There is a funny story why baggy pants are popular.

I will digress.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I have talked to quite a few that were friends of family memebers or whatever and ALOT of them are doing what they can with what they have and are closet V8 fans.

ALOT of these guys are lemmings, and see these flashy cars and think they are fast.

I could go on for hours.

I will digress.
I don't see a problem with the tuner/import scene personally. It allows younger people to get into the hobby of custom cars earlier and much cheaper. If you are an automotive enthusiast you are able to see it that way ;)

Regarding who is a lemming and who is not, in EVERY aspect of the automotive hobby you will see all types of attitudes, positive and negative :cool:

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I've never understood the CHEAPER part of the argument. Every tranny builder here seems to agree that those front wheel drive pos can't handle any power gains muchless the stock abuse. I guess the only thing cheaper might be the insurance rates.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

I could go on for hours.

I will digress.

LOL Its like We share Minds i couldnt Agree more.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
I've never understood the CHEAPER part of the argument. Every tranny builder here seems to agree that those front wheel drive pos can't handle any power gains muchless the stock abuse. I guess the only thing cheaper might be the insurance rates.
By cheaper I mean the mods themselves, some people aren't smart enough to consider breakage into the investment with any car/truck :D

·
8,984 Posts
Regarding who is a lemming and who is not, in EVERY aspect of the automotive hobby you will see all types of attitudes, positive and negative :cool:
Yes true, but MUCH more prevalent in THEIR hobby.

Constantly spoutin off at the mouth about their 12 second honda that has a 4" muffler adn a CAI and it runs "12s"!

:eek:rly:

·
8,984 Posts
I have heard the same. HAve you heard the quote from PINKS, where the CRX, I think, breaks and one of the host guys says, "****, that is what I hate about imports, so unreliable,". Talk about IRONY!!!!!!!

.....blah blah blah, I have more power per liter and I still get 30 mpg, but myy car cannot handle the power, so I cannot use it, but if I could, you would me in trouble!!!!!!!

Modlsled said:
LOL Its like We share Minds i couldnt Agree more.
I am glad we are on the same team!!!!!!:lol::5go:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
it's really no different from the american cars i mean getting a car that stock would do 16 and 17s into the 12's is PRETTY **** GOOD by any stretch of the imagination.I think you should watch that epsiode of pinks where a 1st gen supra goes up agains a small block chevelle and as you'll notice on the top end of the track that thing MOWS down that chevelle.
but breakage is common when you go over the stock paramaters when you don't know WTF you're doing.hell even NHRA,F1,Indy Car,Nascar race cars break(quite spectaularly sometimes).anything built by humans will enivitably fail at one point.

here's a prime example and a true story too.my freind who used to have a 94 CIVIC he spent i'd say a good $6,000 on a Civic Type R block,heads,cam,low compression pistons (9.2:1).stroker Rotating assembly.he wanted to go turbo and he was shopping around and he was trying to stick to a budget of 8 grand.I told him before he got the turbo kit that he was doing everything right,don't blow your motor by getting cheap parts like from e-bay.well he didn't listen to me and bought a kit for 1500 well under his budget.he bolts the kit on that sunday and lies to me about where he got it from.so i'm thinkin it's going to be a quick little car for what it is.he set the boost level on a safe 5lbs.(he also got a blow off valve with the kit as well).he drives to school,in the new honda and naturally like most kids at 89RS's school there are alot of import fans and very few american car fans.anyway the car is bright type r yellow and there's a crowd during lunch around the car.the hood's open i'm walking over to see my freind and i hear the motor come to life and i hear him rev the engine as i'm walking then all of a sudden i hear BOOM.naturally i'm startled at the loud noise and i run to my freind's car and it looked like someone took a plasma cutter or a sawz-all to the turbo piping and seperated the wastegate from the turbo and the turbo was actually cracked!.and the moral of this story is no matter if your car is foreign or domestic if you're going to Do the tuning and building yourself INVEST IN QUALITY PARTS AND MATERIAL AND YOU WILL NEVER BE WRONG.It may be expensive but you'll be able to enjoy your pride and joy longer:lol::lol:

·
8,984 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Alot of this has to do with the Fast & Furious series of movies. They make imports look cool. But notice how in each movie they have that huge American muscle car that destroys the import? I think the underlying message of those films is that no matter how much money you put into an import, you'll see triple that in an American car.

·
8,984 Posts
Well, the wings ARE used in several motorsports, but these tools aubscribe to the Big is Better theory, ie, ground effects, wings, exhaust tips, etc.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well why do people put chrome rims on cars when the stock ones serve the purpose just the same?.I mean it's to make the car look different.

this discussion made me realize something as well as much as the cars are made by different manurfactuers the people who are enthusiasts are pretty much the same.sure they may talk about smaller engine sizes,V-TEC and the like but in my opinion the main difference between imports and domestics crowd is one primarily into "old world" technology(Pushrods and just going in a straight line with a heavy car) and just simple stuff when the imports are more into the overall package(Ie Handling as well as power and weight ratio) and i'd say "new world" technology.

everyone says their stuff is better but the most important thing is put your money where your mouth is and do it on the track
do any of you get what i'm trying to say?.I'm not saying everyone is likethis but this is my viewpoint or maybe it's just how i started out in the automotive scene:lol:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
well why do people put chrome rims on cars when the stock ones serve the purpose just the same?.I mean it's to make the car look different.

this discussion made me realize something as well as much as the cars are made by different manurfactuers the people who are enthusiasts are pretty much the same.sure they may talk about smaller engine sizes,V-TEC and the like but in my opinion the main difference between imports and domestics crowd is one primarily into "old world" technology(Pushrods and just going in a straight line with a heavy car) and just simple stuff when the imports are more into the overall package(Ie Handling as well as power and weight ratio) and i'd say "new world" technology.

everyone says their stuff is better but the most important thing is put your money where your mouth is and do it on the track
do any of you get what i'm trying to say?.I'm not saying everyone is likethis but this is my viewpoint or maybe it's just how i started out in the automotive scene:lol:
How do you figure imports lead in technology? The LS series of motors is one of the most technologically advanced motors ever and they're constantly improving it. It's a design that Chrysler copied for the Hemi and Toyota copied them for their new V-8. (so how good could a copy of a copy be? Not very...) Hell, even Honda came to GM for a motor for their Pilot. VVTi? GM helped develop that. Active Ride Control? GM all the way...AWD, GM was one of the first...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Pushrods? isn't that the same tech Adam used to build Eve a Engine with?:lol:
but seriously I admire gm and the rest of the american automakers for improving this tried and true tech(ancient as it may be).but in all honesty if what you have said is true then GM must have dropped the ball getting the VVT to market.i mean come on you know Honda's synomimous with VVT.Ask a good chunk of auto enthusiast what car name comes to mind when you mention VVT.
The only reason why Toyota is using pushrods is because of NASCAR'S mandate which i do find funny:lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts