Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read this forum and never cease to be amazed at what I find.
I ordered a cyber gray on the first day it could be ordered, and got the, "it's delayed" message. Tried the white and told,"no go at all". Is this 2009 ?
Has it occured to anyone who is knocking the Mustang that they are actually driving their cars, can go to a dealer and get one ? Put a blower on it and get the 400 plus horsepower if wanted ? Their aftermarket is strong and Ford, Shelby, and Roush will fit it for a price.
We are continuing to bicker over a car for that for all practical purposes doesn't exist yet. We see a start date, pictures of cars on carriers, magazines with test drives, but in the real world no 2010 Camaro has out done any Mustang-yet.
Here we sit, behind a computer not a steering wheel and spew all our rhetoric about a car 95% of us have no first hand experience with.
Yes it's fun to speculate but so far that's all we've got.
This isn't about whether Mustang is better, it's about poor marketing, management, giving the public what it wants in a timely manner, and just plain good business.
Compared to it's past history, GM today is poorly managed and the results are evident.
Now we've got people selling 2010 Camaros on EBAY that don't yet exist, reports of dealers doing 10,000 mark ups on cars that don't exist, and the hype goes on.
If the reports of a certain color of paint has to be used up before another can be started are true, then the problems have only begun.
I want a Camaro as much as the next guy but when I see a Mustang on every corner and zero Camaros, who seems to be winning ?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
There are lots of frustrated and anxious people besides yourself.

The Camaros are now being shipped, so it will be SOON that Camaros will again be available at the dealerships and crusing the streets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here we sit, behind a computer not a steering wheel and spew all our rhetoric about a car 95% of us have no first hand experience with.
Yes it's fun to speculate but so far that's all we've got.
Part of me just wants the Camaro to come out so the epic amounts of bench racing I've seen online over the past few years can finally stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well written and to the point. Good business practices would mandate a business that has in excess of 14,000 cars sold to get them into the hands of customers. I Question why when you have something people want why not give them what they want. I ordered my camaro on 11-12-08 and was pull out of line last week because of the Hurst Shifter, when I see my Camaro who knows, Problem seems to be with dealers who are not well informed.Patience, and persevevrance, that's all it takes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I see your point and understand your frustration. Let me ask a question, though -- would it have been "solid business practice" to accept no orders whatsoever until cars were already arriving at showrooms and all variations of colors and options were already rolling out the factory door?

Perhaps GM should not have allowed word of the upcoming Camaro to reach the public until the car suddenly showed up at dealerships at a surprise...

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are some solid business practices that I'm glad are being followed. Extra quality checks on first builds of a brand new model on a brand new line. Analyzing demand of features and changing from dealer option to factory option which will likely result in higher quality installation of Hurst shifters.

Since GM was saying that all pre-orders would be delivered by end of September and now it looks more likely by the end of June I'd say they are doing things right. Even though I still don't have a build date on my Camaro I'm happy with what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
There are some solid business practices that I'm glad are being followed. Extra quality checks on first builds of a brand new model on a brand new line. Analyzing demand of features and changing from dealer option to factory option which will likely result in higher quality installation of Hurst shifters.

Since GM was saying that all pre-orders would be delivered by end of September and now it looks more likely by the end of June I'd say they are doing things right. Even though I still don't have a build date on my Camaro I'm happy with what they are doing.
I would rather have it a bit later and just right than now w/ issues

if they started doing this with the other cars a few years back GM wouldnt have needed the govmnt

·
Registered
19 Posts
A couple of people here know of my problem with getting my car. I have waited for years to order and ordered on the 1st day. Then my dealer closed and I started dealing with GM customer service and was basically told that they don't know where my car is. I also have another local dealer working on it for me. After much talking and phone calls, I finally told them all that I did not care where it was or where they delivered it to, but if I did not have it by July, the 6 chevy and GM products I have now will be the last. GM knows all about my car, because they send me the letters and pictures just like the rest of you guys get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, every other thread really is just "I had a dream last night about my 'maro and I jizzed in my pants!" 10 pages later etc...

I want to see some Camaro's.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A couple of people here know of my problem with getting my car. I have waited for years to order and ordered on the 1st day. Then my dealer closed and I started dealing with GM customer service and was basically told that they don't know where my car is. I also have another local dealer working on it for me. After much talking and phone calls, I finally told them all that I did not care where it was or where they delivered it to, but if I did not have it by July, the 6 chevy and GM products I have now will be the last. GM knows all about my car, because they send me the letters and pictures just like the rest of you guys get.
I don't know what the policy is, but in my case I originally placed an order with a dealership on 10/16, only to find out that the parent dealership decided to close it down starting the first week of November (the staff were relocated to the parent dealership). The salesperson I was dealing with said those orders would be invalid once the satellite dealership was officially closed, so they redid my order on 11/11 with the same options. Even though I was told I now have only one order to my name, I received 2 different mailings from GM congratulating me for my order (each with a print of the Camaro concept), and they both had different order numbers. So I'm really not sure that the original order was eliminated. Furthermore, when I relayed this concern to the salesperson (now at the bigger dealership), I was told that they no longer had access to the old order confirmation number, so they could not check to see if it still existed (implying "no need to bother").

If any of the helpful sponsors here would like to take me up on that issue and check to see if the original order still stands, I could put that concern to rest. (My dealer has no interest in doing this!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Part of me just wants the Camaro to come out so the epic amounts of bench racing I've seen online over the past few years can finally stop.
I think you'll be further frustrated by the fact that, modding their car or not, 90% of bench racers/keyboard commandos will never get their car to a track.

And don't even get me started on the dyno-racers :angry:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I preface this with everything that follows is merely my opinion. I tossed a couple of facts in there, but mostly opinion.

I got a chuckle reading some of the comments in this thread. Can't say for sure, but I'm betting more than a few of those comments come from people that were born after 1980. Reason I say that is they're the ones that, for the majority, are of the "instant gratification" era. Waiting more than a week for anything is excruciatingly painful. "I want it and want it now!" :) Get over it. Your car will eventually get here, and when it does, you'll soon forget about the wait.

Frustration always sets in from the minute you order your car and stays to the minute the truck shows up to drop it off at the dealer. It's the longest time known to man. Everyone's anxious.

Unfortunately, bench racing will continue longer than the point you are dust in your coffin. There are people STILL bench racing about cars that they've owned and/or never owned and some of the manufacturers don't even exist any more. Additionally, 99% of the time, cars of the past are always faster in your mind than they actually were on the streets. Fantasy football is the same as bench racing, so it's not just a car thing. This is why bench racing will never die.

I don't advocate street racing, but stoplight to stoplight is where the majority of the street credibility will be garnered. If it's like was said, that 90% won't go to the track, then probably 90% of the remaining 90% of Camaro owners will be testing it at the stoplights. Better cross-sectional data research to make the case of how bad your car is. If you got a car that runs in the 12s at the track, but gets it's azz handed to it on the street, then you're second rate no matter how cool you think your reaction times and trap speeds are. To the regular street crowd, track times and dyno results are simply scientific, controlled experiments and only give you more bench racing ammo. This is not to say tracks and dynos aren't fun, but it all depends on your perspective.

As someone who's still waiting to order a convertible, my wait will be guaranteed to be longer than yours, if they even make it at all. So again, take things into perspective in that there are some that are worse off and still be waiting longer than you for their car.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Stoplights are for squids & amateurs who, if they actually went to a track, would find out they're not nearly as fast as they think they are. :thumbsup:
:eek: ouch... still beats the hell out of trying to find a track nearby..

-Also, I thought the whole idea behind getting a muscle car these days was to teach the idiots with ricers a lesson.. you really think they're brave enough to try to pull one out on the track??? lmao :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
:eek: ouch... still beats the hell out of trying to find a track nearby..

-Also, I thought the whole idea behind getting a muscle car these days was to teach the idiots with ricers a lesson.. you really think they're brave enough to try to pull one out on the track??? lmao :thumbsup:
My perspective comes from one whose luck is the worst in the world, hence my street behavior. If me and someone else were running from one policeman and we split up, I can pretty much guarantee you he'd follow me. :lol:

As for ricers, meh, cars are cars and different people do different things to them. Go to a Corvette gathering sometime; most of the cars you see there look like an accessory catalog exploded all over 'em. Purely non-functional bling-ish stuff in the same vein as what people make fun of ricers for. But if it makes 'em happy, more power to 'em. While I like American cars, if someone gave me a GTR or a twin turbo Celica, I'd take it in a minute.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Of course you'd take one in a minute. You have a Mustang...you should already be used to looking at fugly cars.... :) j/k

1 - 18 of 18 Posts