Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the dealership put cats on my car and they loaned me a 2011 Silverado LT w/ 5.3 and a 6 sp auto. I hate big trucks but especially hate poor design that is supposed to be innovative. This one has that automatic displacement tech which is USELESS. I drive 180 miles round trip almost all interstate and the truck never went into 4 cyl mode. In town it would if I set the cruise at 45 or so but no other time. I can't figure out why, at a stop light, in normal driving it wouldn't just shift to 4 cyl mode until you hit the accelerator, which is electronically controlled anyway. I never saw better than 16 mpgs in the three tanks I put through it. That's 1 mpg less than our 04 ram hemi quadcab gave us on hwy trips. Also this thing is absolutely gutless.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
So you hate big trucks. No, it's not fast. I have a 2002 4.8L Silverado ext cab 4x4. It's got >230,000 miles on it, and no, it's not fast, but t looks like it'll last forever. I get 16-18MPG highway, and about 16MPG city. It'll haul anything I put init or tow with it. It's a 3 ton truck. It's going to use some extra gas.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I have a 2009 ext cab LT Silverado 5.3. With stabili trac and trac control on with the 20" wheels that big mofo handles well. I freakin drive it like a nut. Love the interior way better than ford and dodge. Unfortunately with the stock tune out the hole torq mgmt kills power to the ground, but imagine if all were 100% unlocked from the factory how many would be wrapped around trees/poles. Hell most can't handle the 4banger pos. I've given much thought about getting it tuned, but decided its gonna stay stock. I don't feel like replacing rear tires every year.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
2,416 Posts
Just got a f-250 yesterday (co car, GM hasn't had our contract since 93) It doesn't ride as good as gmts. It does seem to have good power which is much better than the v6 explorer I had. I had a f250 before the explorer and this 2011 f250 does the same thing with handeling rough surfaces. They seem to not track straight and sort of bounce over. I've taken the same road with my silverado and it always tracks straight.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
A Silverado will wake up pretty good with just an intake, exhaust and a tune. I put a cold air intake, Gibson exhaust, and a tune on mine. Now I can drive up over South Mountain in MD. in overdrive at 70+MPH.

Not bad for a 9 year old 6300lb truck!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
devryn, not sure what was wrong with your truck. our 09 Silverado goes into 4 cyl mode a lot. whenever i tool around town in it, it's in 4 cyl mode if i maintain a contsant speed (alot of 35mph). and on the hwy, as long as you are on flat ground without a crazy headwind (and not towing), it pretty much stays in 4 cyl mode too. as soon as you accelerate or go up a hill it goes back to 8 mode, but without the DIC telling me what mode it's in, i would never know cuz you can't feel it. i like it. :D

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
My Hubby is happy with his 2009 Silverado!! Pulls my 23' Interceptor just fine!!

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. Yeah. I was watching it on the dic. I was curious. This was all 80 mph hwy driving with he cruise control on. Big trucks arent my thing and I was irritated it cost me 50% more in fuel for the week. Also, I like being maneuverable, and a big truck is anything but. They're just not my flavor. I much prefer knowing if I want to pass someone, I can hit 100 in third VERY quickly.

·
2,416 Posts
I hear ya. If I didn't have a need for towing I probably wouldn't have a truck.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've been in the new Silverado a couple times and its a nice enough truck, just a little soft for a truck in my opinion... there is also the chance of the truck having been built in Mexico. I know its not a popular choice around here, but the most rugged feeling truck that I've been in lately is the Toyota Tundra... which is built on US soil, in Texas.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've had my 2010 Mexican Sierra crew cab for 13 months now, and no issues other than eating a deer. I really don't like that V4 to V8 mode thing. And it does seem to feel like it has a bit less power, although it's not supposed to, even with 3.45 gearing.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've had my 2010 Mexican Sierra crew cab for 13 months now, and no issues other than eating a deer. I really don't like that V4 to V8 mode thing. And it does seem to feel like it has a bit less power, although it's not supposed to, even with 3.45 gearing.
It's not even an issue of Mexican built vehicles being of a lesser quality than US built counterparts... for me it's all about putting money in the pockets of American workers, regardless of the corporate name on the vehicle they build.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I've been in the new Silverado a couple times and its a nice enough truck, just a little soft for a truck in my opinion... there is also the chance of the truck having been built in Mexico. I know its not a popular choice around here, but the most rugged feeling truck that I've been in lately is the Toyota Tundra... which is built on US soil, in Texas.
....and the majority of the profits go to Japan. :patriot:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
....and the majority of the profits go to Japan. :patriot:
yeah, that's the only bad thing. foreign car companies love to wrap themselves in our flag and pretend they are doing us proud by building a few of their models here and employing our workers. and they do employ some Americans which is good. but in the big picture, the profits are going back to Japan... not to mention what they are contributing to our economy is a drop in the bucket compared to the domestic manufacturers. i think our country actually benefits more if you buy a GM truck built in Mexico, than if you buy a Toyota Tundra built in the states.

Scott Settlemire posted some info back in 2005 that shows just exactly how it all works...

Fbodfather said:
STATEMENT: “OH YEAH? WELL MY TOYOTA/HONDA/BMW/MERCEDES IS BUILT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES!”

82% parts in the average GM car or truck are domestic content
At Honda, it’s 49%
At Toyota, it’s 41%
Nissan? 38%
BMW? 11%

(by the way……go look at what the ‘transplants’ pay in taxes….real estate, school, state and federal……you might be surprised……if you’re a teacher and you’re complaining about budgets in you’re driving a Toyota or Honda, SHUT UP!)

GM/Ford/and DCX provide 23.4 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

The Japanese competitors? 13.3 jobs per 100 vehicles sold in the United States

GM’s capital investment in the United States from 1999 thru 2003 was $20Billion. Toyota’s capital investment from 1980 thru 2003 was $10.7Billion. Nissan’s? 2.8Billion from 1980 thru 2003…Honda? $5.6Billion – ’80 thru ’03.

GM’s contribution to the U.S. Gross National Product (GNP) is 4 times that of Toyota

Every Day, over 1 million North Americans earn their living by helping GM build and sell cars in North America. – Every month, 457,000 retirees and their spouses count on GM for pension checks. More than 1.1 Million people receive health care benefits from GM. A one-point drop in GM market share results in over 18,000 jobs in the United States.
In 4 years, GM's capital investment was more than the combined total of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda over 23 years. that's a big difference!!

don't be fooled. it's always good to be informed :patriot:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, that's the only bad thing. foreign car companies love to wrap themselves in our flag and pretend they are doing us proud by building a few of their models here and employing our workers. and they do employ some Americans which is good. but in the big picture, the profits are going back to Japan... not to mention what they are contributing to our economy is a drop in the bucket compared to the domestic manufacturers. i think our country actually benefits more if you buy a GM truck built in Mexico, than if you buy a Toyota Tundra built in the states.

Scott Settlemire posted some info back in 2005 that shows just exactly how it all works...

In 4 years, GM's capital investment was more than the combined total of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda over 23 years. that's a big difference!!

don't be fooled. it's always good to be informed :patriot:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
THANK YOU, Hilary!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts