Modern Camaro Forums banner

Sound Systems Details

44K views 58 replies 34 participants last post by  Baseballkurt 
#1 ·
Boston Acoustics sound systems - the first application in a GM vehicle!

Stanard 6-Speaker Base Sound System

Mid-range speakers in each door and rear shelf
Tweeters in triangular "shark-fin" on the doors

Premium 9-Speaker 245-watt Sound System

6.5-inch woofers in each door
1-inch tweeters in triangular "shark-fin" on the doors
3.5-inch center-channel speaker
7-channel subwoofer on rear shelf

#7 ·
I believe it stated USB ports..however in other vehicles similar in the GM family the USB port had some difficulty pulling files from Ipods unless it states ipod capability...Which i did not see in the specs provided yesterday.

I assume apple does some shiot to their files when transfered to the Ipod/Itunes.

#8 ·
from my understanding of the web chat the files must be mp3's to work... and yeah apple encrypts the files so they cannot be transfered to more than 5 computers but idk if that means they will work or not.....

JohnFitzpatrick:
"I believe any jump drive can fit in the USB. It will have to have MP3 files to be read, however."

#9 ·
If you buy songs from Itunes, they are encrypted (mp4) so they'll only work on your computer/ipod. BUT, if you rip your own CD's into your computer, and than load onto your Ipod, they are MP3's.

#13 ·
ok so here is the wiki definition of Mp4 or MPEG4 :

MPEG-4 Part 14, formally ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is most commonly used to store digital audio and digital video streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. Like most modern container formats, MPEG-4 Part 14 allows streaming over the Internet. The official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4, thus the container format is often referred to simply as MP4.
Some devices advertised as "MP4 players" are simply AMV video capable MP3 players, and do not play MPEG-4 part 14 or any other MPEG-4 format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
They overcharge by hundreds of dollars for subpar, over protected, basically useless pieces of hardware.
Subpar I really disagree with.

Overprotected? I guess they just didn't want Bill Gates to steal something else from them.

although in terms of engine soundtrack, the Camaro wins hands down.
At least we agree on this.

#17 ·
according to the info they sent to the dealers,
  • Available Bluetooth allows for wireless communication with most Bluetooth-equipped electronic devices inside Camaro
  • Available USB port allows for the download of music from a USB device
  • Available Personal Device Interface Module (PDIM) allows for the use of the redundant steering wheel controls with an auxiliary device
So even if you have all your files from iTunes on your iPod, I'm guessing you can hook your iPod up and use it with the stereo and also control it from the controls on the steering wheel.

Or, you can transfer mp3 files from something like a flash drive to what I'm guessing is a hard drive and listen to them w/o having to keep a iPod or any other mp3 player in the car.

Sounds pretty sweet to me!

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back on topic my minions!

I am not surre why anyone is downing the Bose system???

Have you heard the Bose system in the CTS'?

Downright amazing!

Where's brandon? He has a CTS too.

Stock 10" woofer. Hell this system has as many speakers as the car has airbags!

I am sure it will equal the system in my 2003.

Cadillac features/technology seem to bleed over into the cheaper brands a few years later......

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow. Chevy is still behind Ford. Nothing will ever trump the stock audio system I had in my GT, ala Shaker 1000.

#26 ·
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

#30 ·
I'll second the notion that factory Boston installs sound great (For a factory option), having owned a Dodge Caliber with the Boston sound system option recently. It was a well balanced system for SQ, not for those who want the doof-doof music. To date the only thing the audio aftermarket has done to that OE system was offer a bigger amp to give the subwoofer some more power.

However, it didn't compare to the Boston setup I had in my Mazda6.

So it will be premium Boston factory option for me, with upgrades down the road.

#31 ·
After the Prius sound system, most anything would sound good. This is when you realize you're basically listening to a pair of computer speakers (in the A pillars, or near them) and a subwoofer.

However, I liked what they did with the premium sound system in the Cobalt a few years back, so I will likely be very pleased with the better system in the Camaro.

#34 · (Edited)
you forgot the two 6.9-inch coaxial (it projects bass frequency's and sound frequency's .It's like a tweeter in a small subwoofer) woofers with 2.5-inch speakers on the rear shelf.

and

is just called a 7-channel digital DSP amplifier

hopefully that clears up some things. And "no" the amplifier does not cound as a speaker hahaha

Click on "Boston Acuostics premium eight-speaker" and the standard for the Camaro is the one to the left of it "Boston Acoustics premium six-speaker". It's just a litte demo, so make sure you turn the volume up on your computers. The only thing difference is 1 speaker and it's the speaker used for OnStar and BlueTooth, so it really doesn't matter. http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/challenger/innovations/multimedia/

#35 ·
Not trying to knock the demo's, well, maybe I am, but I "like" how they add an instrument here and there as the systems go up in quality to make it sound a little better.

Seriously, I'm sure the system will sound awesome, but it's more than I need. If I could have, I would have deleted the 9-speaker system and went with the standard 6-speaker. My hearing ain't what it used to be!

#39 ·
The Bose system that came in my 08 SS Impala freakin jams.

IPOD questions/ponderings:

1) Currently listen to IPOD thru Bose system with a mini stereo cable [i think thats what its called]. You can't control the IPOD thru the steering wheel, nor the stereo deck-You only adjust the volume.

2) Downloading music onto the IPOD is thru the cable that has a USB plug on one end-other plug end I believe is IPOD only type. I think if you hook up the IPOD like this, you can control it via the stereo deck? Maybe also the steering wheel?

3) When you rip your own CD music to the IPOD, you can select the type of extension. I just selected the one that IPOD uses. Doesn't sound like this stereo recognizes the IPOD extension. Anyone have a process to somehow convert the IPOD music files/extensions on my laptop to mp3's? I've got close to 20GB of music like this.

It'd be nice to not have to carry the IPOD in the car.

#40 ·
1) Currently listen to IPOD thru Bose system with a mini stereo cable [i think thats what its called]. You can't control the IPOD thru the steering wheel, nor the stereo deck-You only adjust the volume.

2) Downloading music onto the IPOD is thru the cable that has a USB plug on one end-other plug end I believe is IPOD only type. I think if you hook up the IPOD like this, you can control it via the stereo deck? Maybe also the steering wheel?

3) When you rip your own CD music to the IPOD, you can select the type of extension. I just selected the one that IPOD uses. Doesn't sound like this stereo recognizes the IPOD extension. Anyone have a process to somehow convert the IPOD music files/extensions on my laptop to mp3's? I've got close to 20GB of music like this.

It'd be nice to not have to carry the IPOD in the car.

In my '05 trailblazer w/ "blose", I have an IPOD adapter that plugs into the XM receiver. I can control my IPOD w/ the HU, but I lose 1 bank of XM presets. I would imagine in the camaro, you will have ipod control.

You can convert your music files to MP3's in itunes. But it wont convert files purchased on itunes, only files you've ripped. Songs you purchased, you just burn to a CD and than rip them back in as MP3's. You can load MP3's onto your ipod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.