Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me twice now. The first time I went over a weird shaped speed bump and I heard and felt the scrape shortly after my front wheels were past the speed bump. I got under the car as soon as I could and observed no damage. This time I had to go down a rock road, I really didn't want to do this but I had to. I felt it scrape this time as well. Suspension wise my car is totally stock with no GFX. The confusing part about the second time: I was sure I would scrape in the front first if at all, but nothing. I don't think there was any damage but I can't get under the car to look anytime soon.

Has anyone had this happen and if so did you suffer any damage from it?

I am guessing the scraping area would have to be the tunnel brace right or I have read about other cars hitting the cat/conv?

The only thing that really bugs me is that it seemed like I could feel it in the shifter both times, do you think I should worry about it if the car runs fine next time I drive it? Could I screw up the transmission if this happens too many times?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was definitely overkill, but I couldn't see how far down the opposite side was. The approach side looked normal. I always go very slowly over them but nothing could help that one other than avoiding it. Unfortunately I was in a very busy parking lot with no other way to go at the time. I do my best to avoid them.

·
8,984 Posts
Try the angled approach.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I usually go the angle approach.

In the neighborhood that my In-laws live in they use speed mountains. Your car will roll backwards if you go too slow and you sure as heck don't want to hit them going too fast. You sneak up on them gently and hit the gas.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Oh man..I HATE large speedbumps.
I dislike normal speedbumps..but massive ones shouldn't be allowed..that crap damages cars. My sister's last apartment complex didn't have wide ones...but they were very tall. I've been over some that would **** near scrape the G5's bottom. It would be hell to go over those in a motorcycle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the options, but for the most part I don't have any issues going over the normal ones. I was more worried about the potential problems of the bottom actually rubbing. I got to look under the car finally and it appears the part that rubbed was the rear tunnel brace not the one in the front, which eased my worry. There was big rock up there between the shielding, exhaust, and brace. Doesn't look like there is any damage and everything seems normal for now. This is the last time I ever bring anything other than my truck to a work location. How is it that your wife can brake you down and make you do stupid things? Don't answer that.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I have had this experience myself...in a parking lot with mammoth size speed bumps. My car is lowered but did not have the GFX at the time and when I heard it hit (and felt it) I thought...CRAP! I tried the next one sideways and it was even worse...so after winding my way through the lot avoiding every speed bump I found that there was now way out without going over one :eek: so I backed over it...with no scraping. The next week, when Envy was getting her GFX, I took this picture of the damage to the driver side muffler delete. They still work great, so no big deal...but we're never going to Office Depot again! :(

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
mines lowered and i have a front splitter puttig my car about 3" from the ground up front, and i very rarely bottom out. only on huge bumps. before the splitter, i never bottomed out with it lowered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts