Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/-speed-tickets-will-include-gas-used-to-catch-you-ar59343.html

We leave hard times we know. With today’s gas price everything it’s possible, but for the speed tickets to include the price of the gas needed to catch you, well, that’s just too much!

In Atlanta, starting July, all speeders will be slapped with an additional $12 fuel charge. The added charge will raise ticket revenues up to $26,000 or more, and the costs will only be passed on to those who break traffic laws and not every citizen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hhahaha..even as a cop I know thats ridiculous, but I have to admit...kinda funny, hell whats 12 bucks when speeding tickets are about $300 nowadays.

That wont fly in a very liberal central Florida...in fact my city council has recently decided to have money taken out of my pay check to pay for gas...could be worse I guess..

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If taxpayers are paying for the gas anyway, then it'd be hardpressed to say it makes sense to double charge for the gas, regardless. It's just a pad, which IMO, is stupid, ludicrous, and possibly even illegal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in Citrus Co. Fla and I heard that Marion Co. Fla is charging non residents the cost of working an accident if it is their fault since they don't live & pay taxes in that area.

On a side note Citrus will require a driving class to get a motorcycle license but the class cost is $300.00 and you "have" to take it. I guess they want a piece of the increase in motorcycle sales since the cost of gas has gone up.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Man, airlines charging for bags now, and contemplating basing your ticket price on your weight, and now adding "chase charges"? Maybe they'll start charging you based on how long the police had to sit with their car idling until you went by speeding. As soon as the ticket is done, the officer starts the meter running for the next schmuck. :D

Income taxes, gas taxes, property taxes (for those non-FL people), sales taxes, state taxes, phone usage taxes.... Does anyone remember what the revolutionary war was based on? "Double Taxation" ring a bell? They had it good, apparently.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm getting fuel surcharges from the Garbage Hauler, the welding supply company, the water delivery....it keeps spiraling upwards! Now, cops are gonna add a charge for fuel too? Un-freakin-believable! This out-of-control oil pricing is having more and more effect on all aspects of this country'e economy to the point of absolute absurdity! Go ahead and vote for the Liberals...they think using our own resources to lower oil and natural gas costs is a stupid idea. Of course the elitest Liberals really don't give a flyin F**K about us middle-class losers anyway. Wake up people! Our Congress is full of sluff-offs and do-nothings! We are all getting screwed as a direct result of their inaction over the last decade! What is it going to take...10.00 a gallon gasoline?!:BangHead:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I live in Citrus Co. Fla and I heard that Marion Co. Fla is charging non residents the cost of working an accident if it is their fault since they don't live & pay taxes in that area.

On a side note Citrus will require a driving class to get a motorcycle license but the class cost is $300.00 and you "have" to take it. I guess they want a piece of the increase in motorcycle sales since the cost of gas has gone up.
I can understand the motorcycle requirement, only because 8 out of 10 riders are severely uneducated and just want to hop on and hit 100+ on the interstate...

If a motorist is found at fault from out of state the fine is just a moving violation, but I believe the fine is 140 as opposed to 120 for residents.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Income taxes, gas taxes, property taxes (for those non-FL people), sales taxes, state taxes, phone usage taxes.... Does anyone remember what the revolutionary war was based on? "Double Taxation" ring a bell? They had it good, apparently.
ooooh we have property taxes...ole Charlie shafted us on that one, now somehow we have high prop taxes and budget cuts..do not understand that one..

This is a trend that is going to continue until our federal government will step up to the plate... I just received my notification for our 2008 Traffic Fines starting July 1st. 10 over is going to be approximately 200 dollars, 20 over almost 300 now, a NON moving violation will be 90.....****, even as a cop I am a shocked at these numbers. A FIX IT ticket if you actually FIX the equipment is still 60 dollars.

·
Registered
330 Posts
like i just posted in another thread *about the audi boot guy...

its all just another way for 'da man to get us down.

charge us for everything we do, (or dont do) till we cant afford to live, then charge us to die too. anybody know if there is property tax on your burial ground, after you BOUGHT AND PAID FOR your plot/stone....

for the motorcycle "class".... i think it should be a manditory endorsment, but you should be able to get certified at ANY qualified location, not just by taking the 'city course'...

thats kinda like having to take drivers ed again every time you go to get a license, or move to another location and have to get a license there.

which brings me back to how does 'da man' have the right to suspend peoples licences over every little issue?!?! "this guy couldnt afford to pay this or that" lets make him walk, even though he is 25, 40, or 50 yrs old and has been driving for years and years. you show these fools you can drive at 16. once you PASS THE TEST then you should be able to drive whatever you want wherever you want. as long as you are following the laws, which should be SAFETY ONLY. not just another means of 'da man' making another quick buck. once i have proven i can drive safely, then i should NEVER have to pay again for a drivers test, or even a license for that matter, you dont forget how to drive, just like riding a bike.

the only people who should have to take a driving test, or 'renew' their drivers license should be people who show that they can not safely drive any more, such as DUI or hit n run or old people with medical issues that cause accidents.

whats next, barcodes on our necks? (what is this thing called democracy? sounds like its reverting to communism slowly but surely, or capitalism or a mix of the 2)

someone menttioned the revolutionary war. and double taxes.
add democracy, freedoms, justice

we now have SOOOOO MANY LAWS (which are not posted in public places, like workers compensation papers are) that people are FORCED to obey.

every employer has to hand out rule books, along with every school, etc.

when is "our" government going to do the same? oh thats right, they are 'da man so they dont need to...

EDIT: im sorry. reading my own post i sound like an extremist, but this stuff just keeps piling up on us. every day something new, the economy is one major cause of it

·
Registered
318 Posts
Will that factor into your decision to issue a citation?
It already does...for years I have written for a non-moving violation so the driver does not get points and the fine is sensible. If I pull someone over for 15 over and an expired tag...I will write for the expired tag = no points and 90 bucks as opposed to over 250 bucks and 4 points. It has gotten to the point where I will pull someone over for 20+ and write them for 9 over because 20+ is nearly 300 bucks..

If the driver has a good record I may not cite at all, of course this all applies for a violation which is not a blatant disregard for safety of others. I consider myself a very calm and "nice" cop, but if you risk other peoples lives (such as driving out of your lane at a high rate causing other to slam their breaks in avoidance of a collision, my patience wears thin... If someone is doing 30-40+ or someone blows a red light while speeding...that is kinda my pet peeve. Speed im very forgiving with, In fact I probably only write 1 a week. Part of this is due to the fact of citation fine amounts and the fact that ..hell, I do 10 over everywhere...but red lights kill people..a red light ticket is 200 dollars now. Even though that is my peeve, I still think that is high...

Realize though, I am not an assigned traffic unit nor am I a state trooper...both of which are known for their traffic enforcement. My primary responsibility is patrol/call taking and soon to be K9 Handling (at which point I will probably rarely pull people over due to an increased call volume).

·
Registered
318 Posts
for the motorcycle "class".... i think it should be a manditory endorsment, but you should be able to get certified at ANY qualified location, not just by taking the 'city course'...

thats kinda like having to take drivers ed again every time you go to get a license, or move to another location and have to get a license there.

which brings me back to how does 'da man' have the right to suspend peoples licences over every little issue?!?! "this guy couldnt afford to pay this or that" lets make him walk, even though he is 25, 40, or 50 yrs old and has been driving for years and years. you show these fools you can drive at 16. once you PASS THE TEST then you should be able to drive whatever you want wherever you want. as long as you are following the laws, which should be SAFETY ONLY. not just another means of 'da man' making another quick buck. once i have proven i can drive safely, then i should NEVER have to pay again for a drivers test, or even a license for that matter, you dont forget how to drive, just like riding a bike.

whats next, barcodes on our necks? (what is this thing called democracy? sounds like its reverting to communism slowly but surely, or capitalism or a mix of the 2
As far as driver's licenses are concerned driving is a privilege, it has never been a right as an American, nor is it a right in any other country on this planet.

Your "rant" warranted and has some valid arguments but also some holes, so I by no means am here to bring you down...however the statement suspended for every lil reason? I don't quite follow..in the state of florida you can ONLY be suspended for the following reason..

-Failure to pay a citation
-Failure to appear in court
-Failure to pay child support
-Failure to pay court obligation when CONVICTED of a crime
-Failure to comply with insurance standards and keeping insurance current
-DUI
-Assessing to many points within a certain time frame...

I consider myself a forgiving officer, and I don't mean to be rude...but these ARE serious issues...each one...Why should I have to pay a ticket if you dont? With that logic, why even stop for the police?

Not only do the courts offer community service and/or payment plans for tickets, court fines, convictions, child support, and bonds if you just ASK!! (again this is just central florida I can speak for) As far as insurance goes, people state that this a fickle suspension ..bull s---, this is right up there with DUI. Its a weekly occurrence someone is plowed by a suspect who has no insurance and subsequently he flees the scene. I agree insurance rates are way to high, but they will pay the bills when we are hanging on for dear life. I could care less about my vehicle, but I do care about medical bills. I sure as hell don't want my company raising my rates because of uninsured motorists...or if you and your child are riding bikes on the side walk and uninsured motorist waffles you both...that s--- better have insurance, if he doesn't...he aint staying for the police. THAT is why the state suspends him.

As for one driver's test?...People's health, mental and physical capacity diminish over time. Mandatory re-testing prevents the 70 year old from plowing me off my motorcycle at an intersection because "He couldnt see the stop sign." I agree, that re-testing should be done only after a DUI, serious physical surgery, and at a set age (elderly)..

As stated in previous posts, yes...fines are quite rough now...I won't deny that. I will however say that there are alternative if the person who can't pay would actually TRY to find them... the fact of the matter is 9 out of 10 people who are suspended dont care and think they have a right to drive on the same street as us regardless if they got a DUI and wont pay the tickets the man gives them regardless of how blatant.

The barcodes? You better believe it is in the future, they are already contemplating it for convicted felons, and its a matter of time before they do it for "health" reasons at birth and you will either have no say or knowledge that it is done to your child...granted I hope I am retired by then or I will be turning my badge in :patriot:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice to hear another Officer with your point of view. I haven't had a moveing or any violation of the law since 2001 when I got divorced( I was a wreak then). Now I stop on yellows and NEVER run a late yellow or red. I don't want to be at fault for a family of five being fatherless. Too many cops get a bad name for enforceing the laws where most are just trying to protect our families. IF I ever decide to drive really fast it is at a track. I couldn't live with myself if I ever killed someone for my stupidity.

Well if those cities are that hard up for $ they will TRY to get away with whatever they think they can. Till like here in the QCities(Davenport, IA) where the city got the bright idea to put in cameras at lights and send people tickets in the mail. Now the program is cancelled and people are sueing and have sued the city and won. No crime is condoned but taxing a surcharge on speeding?! That is rediculous!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Indeed, many people don't realize that these standards (such as surcharges) and the recent spike in citation fines are not set by police..they are set by our elected officials.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Since recently in my town the price of fuel and the police budget has been a topic I guess I put in my 2 cents. The $12 isn't really that much as previously mentioned. A couple tickets a day should off set the price of fuel an officer uses during a shift.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My solution is just to not break the law. It's worked for me for a few years now. I stick to 5 over except on interstate where I'll go to 8 over.

I had 1 ticket for speeding when I was 19 which even I couldn't disagree with. The cop was a prick about it though. My window didn't work so I cracked my door open to tell him and he got mad and basically treated me like I was special.

My second was failure to yield to a cop on the opposite side of the road giving someone else a ticket. Apparently I didn't slow down enough when passing him...on the opposite side of the road.

You high an mighty cops!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts