Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1998 Camaro with an automatic trans that is making a squeaking or squealing noise.

I got under the car with the transmission in Neutral, and then turned the driveshaft by hand. Turning it in short back-and-forth motion, I heard a clear squeak come from the tailshaft area in both forward and reverse directions. Turning the driveshaft continuously in either direction, the "squeak" doesn't stop (squeal, I guess). Getting right under the yoke, it really sounded like the noise was coming from the tailshaft of the transmission, not the U-joint.

The tailshaft seal is not leaking any fluid.

Has anyone else ever had any problem like this, or know of it? I've never had a squeak like this one on my previous Camaro's.

Oh, on a related note, I found this issue while trying to figure out why the car was making a squeaking/chirping noise at lower speeds (20-30mph, mostly).

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Pinion bearing more than likely..... drop the drive shaft and see if you have any abnormal movement (i.e. side-to-side, up and down) also, turn the pinion gear with the driveshaft attached.... still does it you'll know %100 that its not the u joint....

·
Registered
330 Posts
i would think it is more like the rear transmission seal from the discription of the area. even if it doesnt leak, maybe a new seal would stop the squeel, ...for 12 bucks or so, worth a try

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like the output shaft bearing in the trans is shot.

Disconnect the driveshaft from the differential and make sure the noise is coming from the rear of the trans and not the diff. If its definitely the transmission, you'll have to bring it to the trans shop and have them replace the output shaft (tail shaft) bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts