Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use an SS 6-Speed Manual Shifter Assy. in my 2010 1LT V-6 Camaro. Yes it also has the 6-Speed Manual Trans.

Has anyone on the forum done this, and were you satisfied with the results?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Red 2010 Camaro

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't understand. Is the assembly different? Can you snag a pic of yours?

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
The shifters themselves are exactly the same, you will notice no difference, except for the loss of the centering springs if you change the complete assembly...

Now the ZL1 shifter, you would notice a slightly shorter through, but still, it's the same housing/mount, so you can install just the shifter shaft if you like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SS shifter assy. in a V-6 Camaro.

The shifters themselves are exactly the same, you will notice no difference, except for the loss of the centering springs if you change the complete assembly...

Now the ZL1 shifter, you would notice a slightly shorter through, but still, it's the same housing/mount, so you can install just the shifter shaft if you like.
Hey Guys,
I was at the Detroit Auto show last January where there was a 2012 ZL1 Camaro that I got to sit in.

I could not believe how solid it felt through the gear changes! It actually felt as good if not better than my 2003 ZO6 Corvette! It also felt that it had at least a 30% reduction in the shift gates!

When I was on the Chevrolet performance .com web site recently, I noticed that the ZL1 shifter assy. is listed as a direct replacement for the SS Camaro. The GM PT.# is also listed if anyone is interested.

That is why I wanted to know if the SS manual shifter assy. would interchange with the 1LT V-6, 6 speed shifter. If you spend a lot of time in your Camaro like I do, this ZL1 shifter is a NO-BRAINER!

It is also easier on the wallet at less than $300.00 and also includes the ZL1 shift knob and boot!

Thanks Again For The Valuable Info! Is This Forum The Best Or What!

Red 2010 Camaro

·
Registered
334 Posts

So they are the same. Huh, you wouldn't think a 6060 trans shifter would fit on a V6 trans... Oh well...

·
Banned
127 Posts

No difference even if reverse is left or right?

I know you know Jason, just to confirm.

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
The shifter assembly is the same, I've got both from a v6 and a v8, and had a ZL1, which the housing was also exactly the same... The only difference in the housings is that the v6 has centering springs, which are just screwed into the top of the housing using some shoulder bolts. V6 and V8 shift levers are exactly the same. The ZL1 shift shaft is a "fake" short throw...

See this thread:

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/drivetrain-discussion/37783-zl1-shifter-tear-down-w-pics.html

Then see this one:

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/do-yourself-how-write-ups/37411-diy-short-throw-shifter-modifying-stock-shifter-*warning*-long.html

Trust me... Save your money. Modify your own if you or a friend have the ability. If you want to spend that much $$, you would be much better off finding a factory Hurst shifter. Or just flat out go aftermarket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put the Barton short throw shifter in my '11 LS. It did improve the shifts, but I was never able to keep it from making noise.... even after several attempts at different methods. I will say that it was better with the centering springs in place than it was with them off.

I now have the ZL1 Shifter in a '13 1LE and it is incredible.... shifts like butter and I like the feel of the microfiber cover. It also has a better shape knob than the stock shifter.

I would easily spend $300 for the ZL1 over the $225 I spent on the Barton. I also hear that the MGW is very good, I think it's about $300 too.

Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts