Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
It says you can opt out of the service anyway.

Besides that Onstar currently can be disconected if you so wish pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I surely wont be running from da police. You cant get away from the helicopter, unless you are driving Eleanor :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Plus, if your baby is stolen, wouldn't you want the police to be able to shut it down before the thief does too much damage?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been pulled over too many times for "driving recklessly" in my Camaro. If 27 in a 25 (I've got 2 verbal and one written warning for it) is driving reckless, then we all need to have our licenses revoked. This is why I hate the idea. All it takes is that one pissed off cop shutting your car down to put you into the ditch, jail, or both at the same time. Will I ever run from the cops, no. But I think better judgment needs to be practice by our law enforcement officers.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I've been pulled over too many times for "driving recklessly" in my Camaro. If 27 in a 25 (I've got 2 verbal and one written warning for it) is driving reckless, then we all need to have our licenses revoked. This is why I hate the idea. All it takes is that one pissed off cop shutting your car down to put you into the ditch, jail, or both at the same time. Will I ever run from the cops, no. But I think better judgment needs to be practice by our law enforcement officers.
I think you need to re-read the details of how this works.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
It really is a slippery slope. First they start using it for car chases, to protect the public from idiots that think they can outrun the police. (Yeah, I was included in that statement when I was 18).

But then somewhere along the way someone thinks it's safer for the police that every time they see someone breaking the law, they use it.

The good news is that there will always be some way to defeat it, if it becomes a problem.

I still want OnStar, even though I'm not really thrilled about Big Brother.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I don't think the current system has been abused. Can't they tell how fast you are going? I haven't seen any cases were they tell the police how fast you were going.

I think another thing that would be usefull as long as they are not nanning your car is a speed limit indicator. I don't know how many times I have been driving down the road wondering what the speed limit was.

I think "IF" it was able to be hacked and someone was able to turn everyones car off then it would be a disaster for GM. I hope they take a lot of precautions to make sure that isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Wasn't there something where the Car Rental companies were reporting speeding to the police/insurance companies based on the GPS data in their cars?

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Wasn't there something where the Car Rental companies were reporting speeding to the police/insurance companies based on the GPS data in their cars?
Yeah I think some still do that, but I think thats bad business for those rental companies. That is a little different being you don't own the car though.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
I don't want the Big Brother having a bug in my car. I can't do much about some other ways of Him watching me, but this one crosses the line.

I don't trust companies by default, and the government even less so. Hell, I'm less afraid of thieves.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you need to re-read the details of how this works.
I wasn't calling driving 27 in a 25 "reckless driving", however thats what the same officer said to me twice then wrote on my warning the 3rd time. As for how the stalling the car via OnStar will work, it sounds similar to the idea behind a garage door opener.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I like this idea. If it means my stolen vehicle can be recovered with minimal damage, then that's a huge plus. When I first heard about it, I was sort of leery of the idea of it being "abused" to give me a speeding ticket. But one, gotta pay to play. Two, think of the worse consequences that could happen if it wasn't there. Everyone screws up. Would I certainly be able to outrun the cops without wrecking? All in all, probably not. If I managed to, does that mean I get away free and clear? Um, no... dash cam probably has my plate, so they'll catch up with me later or even come knocking on the door. And the fines / jailtime they'll be bringing are going to be worse than the original ticket that I'd be getting if they shut the car down. Yeah, I'm game. :cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts