Modern Camaro Forums banner

STEERING WHEEL CHANGE

23K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  DilUSA 
#1 ·
Hopefully somebody has a couple answers for me. Im looking to change my steering wheel from the 11 to the 12 model. Does anybody know anybody that has attempted this. From what im showing, the coil and airbag have the same connector. Im just worried about something jumping up while im in there. Any help is appreciated, thanks

#3 ·
Yeah I've actually thought of it the other way. If I were to buy a 2012+ camaro I would be looking to swap that steering wheel out for the 10-11 model steering wheel. But everyone has different tastes so if the 2012+ model steering wheel is what you like then that's all that should matter. I'd hold onto your original wheel though in case you ever sell the car. A potential future buyer may want the original style wheel.

#5 ·
Me too, I like the 10. The 12 looks to volt/malibu to me.

#11 ·
Thanks for the pics, Nancygrl!

Yeah, I prefer the 2010-2011, but that's just me, and doesn't help the OP at all.

#14 ·
According to an article in GM High-Tech Performance "The steering wheel was downsized to something more comparable to the ZL1's as well, which makes a noticable difference in steering feel."

So, it seems like it was more a practical choice to increase driver feedback and control than it was a styling decision. I've considered this swap myself but will probably hold off for other suspension upgrades first.

#15 ·
Or, what they're really saying is "we need a really good excuse why we just want to pull from the generic parts bin..." Couldn't they have just called the steering wheel manufacturing plant and said "hey, could you guys make the Camaro steering wheels a little smaller from now on? Thanks." :)

#17 ·
I like your sig bud. I used to have that as a wallpaer with a guy skydiving in the background. It was on the wall at skydive dallas back when i went skydiving. Its so true.

#16 ·
I have noticed the steering wheel controls are more easily tapped in the new wheel.....that being said, I'd not switch for anything. The indentation on the 10's/11's is way kool....and it only takes a little getting used to answer incoming calls.:)

#19 ·
GM says the 2012 is easier to hold on to cause your thumbs can hook on to it. I've only had the 2012 version so I don't know if it is easier. I wouldn't be suprised if later on there are sensors to make you hold on to it with both hands at the 10 and 2.

I like the earlier version much better, much more sporty, retro and unique, this goes for the speedometer too. There are many things about the interior of the LS which look as if it wouldn't have costed anything more to make it look better.

We (2012 owners) got you on the added leather strip on the dash, that is better no one would argue with that.

It would probably cost about the same to have the type they use on the ZL1 installed, well sure it would cost more but if your going to do it, do it right.

#22 ·
I wouldn't be suprised if later on there are sensors to make you hold on to it with both hands at the 10 and 2.
I don't think this will ever happen ... first I think there would be an outright revolt by all of us predominantly one handed drivers. Further, They couldn't do it with a manual cause they have to take a hand off the wheel. And third, it has now been determined that hand on the wheel position of 4 and 8 is better for cars with airbags, so who is to say this won't change again?

#23 ·
i like the 12

#26 ·
since I own both a 10 and a 13, I like to the look of the 10 wheel, but the feel of the 13. The ZL1 wheel is also a great attractor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.