Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my car last month, I noticed that my steering wheel was a little off or cocked to the right of center (it did not pull left or right so it was perfectly in line). I mentioned it and they said no problem and to bring it in to have it centered. I did this last week. When I picked it up, it now is ever so slighly off to the left but not near as bad as it was when it was off to the right from the factory. Again it is still perfectly in line and does not pull. I called back and said now it is slightly off to the left but not near as bad.

Here is where I was hoping to get some advice from people and hopfully some expert Techs that maybe out there. The service department told me that it falls within specs and that the way it is now, is pretty much as close to perfect as possible since it lies within specs. He says that if he tweeks is more that it possibly could cock back to the right a bit. I understand that it now falls within specs and an acceptable range. Would you guys demand that it be looked at again or just let it go? It is very very slight but my wife's V6 is dead on perfectly centered. I know some car steering wheels are slightly off a bit and nothing is perfect but I wonder technically speaking was he telling me the truth in regard to tweeking again and possibly making it worse. Basically it sounded like he was telling me that they got it close to center as possible. When one spends near 40K, you can't help but want it to be right. I hate to be to picky as it is very slight now but to me noticable. To someone else it may not be so I was wanting to see what others would do in this situation.

Lastly, would all Chevy Dealer Service Departments perform warranty work/issues even though the car was not purchased at their dealership? I thought about taking it to another dealer if so.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I picked up my car last month, I noticed that my steering wheel was a little off or cocked to the right of center (it did not pull left or right so it was perfectly in line). I mentioned it and they said no problem and to bring it in to have it centered. I did this last week. When I picked it up, it now is ever so slighly off to the left but not near as bad as it was when it was off to the right from the factory. Again it is still perfectly in line and does not pull. I called back and said now it is slightly off to the left but not near as bad.

Here is where I was hoping to get some advice from people and hopfully some expert Techs that maybe out there. The service department told me that it falls within specs and that the way it is now, is pretty much as close to perfect as possible since it lies within specs. He says that if he tweeks is more that it possibly could cock back to the right a bit. I understand that it now falls within specs and an acceptable range. Would you guys demand that it be looked at again or just let it go? It is very very slight but my wife's V6 is dead on perfectly centered. I know some car steering wheels are slightly off a bit and nothing is perfect but I wonder technically speaking was he telling me the truth in regard to tweeking again and possibly making it worse. Basically it sounded like he was telling me that they got it close to center as possible. When one spends near 40K, you can't help but want it to be right. I hate to be to picky as it is very slight now but to me noticable. To someone else it may not be so I was wanting to see what others would do in this situation.

Lastly, would all Chevy Dealer Service Departments perform warranty work/issues even though the car was not purchased at their dealership? I thought about taking it to another dealer if so.

Much appreciated
I had the exact same issue and the exact same result (much better but not perfect). I say let it go. Sooner or later you're going to need an alignment- everyone does- have them tweak it more then. In response to your other question, ANY Chevrolet dealer can/will perform warranty work on your vehicle- around the corner, next county, next state, or across the country.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Much appreciated
If it bothers you, do something about it.
I would say you need to talk to an independent alignment tech.
Tell him that GM is telling you that the wheel is within specs, and ask him what it will take to make it the way you want it to be.
See what he says, and then if you need to take it above the dealership level, do it. He may tell you just what the dealer did.
It would bother me too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would just add that the dealership should go above and beyond in your case. You purchased both of your Camaros from them, and they should faithfully stand behind that by providing outstanding service. An off-center sterring wheel would bother me too, especailly in a brand new car. I could tolerate it more in a beaten-used car, but not new. That would rank up their with a portrait on a wall that's crooked. :lol: Have a second opinion done, work with the dealer, and escalate to a higher level, if needed. Keep any receipts and submit them to get reimbursed. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like they rushed the fix a bit. Make them do it again? Depends on how much you want to push them on it. It's clearly possible to get the wheel perfectly centered, but the person doing it--who's probably not being paid to do it--can't rush the job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would just add that the dealership should go above and beyond in your case. You purchased both of your Camaros from them, and they should faithfully stand behind that by providing outstanding service. An off-center sterring wheel would bother me too, especailly in a brand new car. I could tolerate it more in a beaten-used car, but not new. That would rank up their with a portrait on a wall that's crooked. :lol: Have a second opinion done, work with the dealer, and escalate to a higher level, if needed. Keep any receipts and submit them to get reimbursed. Good luck! ;)
That is the shame of it....bought both Camaros there and referred 2 others to them to total 4 Camaros from me overall. This is why dealerships have a stereotype....don't get me wrong as there are some good ones out there BUT VERY FEW.

I can take it back there, but now I am not sure I want them messing with it since they think it is right. The service guy I know there said that I could bring it back and get the manager involved, which I probably will. Just pathetic they have had it twice and cannot get it right. I did speak directly to the alignment guy and he was the one saying it fail within specs but still maybe slightly off.

I probably could have gotten that dealership a couple more sales on top of the 4 Camaros I got them. All they told me was thanks and of course sold at MSRP. They did not even offer a free oil change. I am not greedy my no means, but in this case I did deserve something for giving them 4 Camaro sales. :confused:

I built my business off of referrals and know how important customers that refer business can be. I just can't understand all the greed. I am going to call the Owner and also write him a letter to let him know what I gave to them(4 Camaros in 2 months) and what he will miss now. Sorry had to vent...

·
Banned
7 Posts

Much appreciated
Had the exact same issue. Went to the closest dealer. (which was not the one I purchased my Camaro from) Was treated perfect, and was out the door in 30 Min with the problem corrected.

·
Banned
7 Posts
That's sad when you get treated better by a dealer that didn't sell the car to you.
I didnt say better. The dealership gets paid either way. Very close to my home. This dealer was very happy to do my work on my Camaro of C6.

Pretty much standard I think across the board.

·
Registered
126 Posts
But you would think the dealer you purchased from would be somewhat loyal...

In my opinion...all dealers should take a level of pride, but a steering wheel being off center???? Wow....what happens if (and that's a big if!!!) something goes wrong with the motor or something serious? If a dealer's technical people can't get under the front of a car and center the steering that doesn't say much for them.

just my 2.545678 cents.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
But you would think the dealer you purchased from would be somewhat loyal...

In my opinion...all dealers should take a level of pride, but a steering wheel being off center???? Wow....what happens if (and that's a big if!!!) something goes wrong with the motor or something serious? If a dealer's technical people can't get under the front of a car and center the steering that doesn't say much for them.

just my 2.545678 cents.

No doubt....that is why I cringe to take it there. I need to do some research on dealer service departments in my area and see if there is any rating or feedback system to see where I need to take it. Or try and find out who has the best GM service department in my area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with my Maxima when new...it drove me crazy, but after 2 trips to the dealers they came pretty close to centering the steering wheel, but they never did get it right on center...anyway, after 7 years (but only 22K miles on her), I've grown accustomed to it... even had her aligned about a year ago...after I replaced the factory tires not because the tread was bad, it was just that the factory tires were dated 2002 and I didn't want to run on "old" tires.

You'll get used to it in time. And believe me you will find other imperfections as you begin to detail your car...that's what makes every car unique!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts