Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned my 2SS 6 speed for about 8 weeks now. GM has improved fit and finish but they still have a long way to go. Too many minor problems with inferior quality parts.Love the way it drives and looks, Lets hope they continue to improve build quality.Examples of my problems are defective trunk opening actuator,Camaro sticker peeling off my door sil,small piece of body panel lifting off the car.The interior plastic they use is still crap. We need to show the foreign car companies we can build better cars than them. Go American!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
While I don't own the new Camaro yet, I can agree with you that the American automakers should focus more on the quality aspect of their product lines. I do agree that the interiors of most domestic brands leave a lot to be deired when it comes to the interior plastic. If Hyundai can put good plastic in their cars, and Nissan can put a nice interior in the 370Z; then GM should be able to do better in the Camaro. Maybe GM needs to add an interior upgrade option like they have with the Corvette (4LT or 3ZR in the Z06 & ZR1). An extra grand or so to get a "tailored" interior. Someone will buy it. I think it all boils down to quantity over quality when it comes to the domestic automakers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
402 Posts
No can do, have to keep paying grandpa's pension and health care.

I'm suprised the can build a car such as this and sell it so cheap.
:lol: Yeah, gotta keep the retirees happy! :lol:

The Camaro is priced well at the moment. I would suspect that it will increase by 2012. That's just my guess.

I would like to see an interior upgrade package. I like the Black and Sienna 3ZR or 4LT package in the Corvette. Maybe something with suede inserts in the seats, headliner and door panels. I also have a love for carbon fiber, but I'm sure that's what the aftermarket is for. I look forward to modifying my interior to suit my tastes (sporty and purposeful). ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the problem with my trunk as well. It seems to have cleared up though. Has anyone else had problems with the electric seats? My drivers side is acting up. I am going to be calling the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I don't own the new Camaro yet, I can agree with you that the American automakers should focus more on the quality aspect of their product lines. I do agree that the interiors of most domestic brands leave a lot to be deired when it comes to the interior plastic. If Hyundai can put good plastic in their cars, and Nissan can put a nice interior in the 370Z; then GM should be able to do better in the Camaro. Maybe GM needs to add an interior upgrade option like they have with the Corvette (4LT or 3ZR in the Z06 & ZR1). An extra grand or so to get a "tailored" interior. Someone will buy it. I think it all boils down to quantity over quality when it comes to the domestic automakers. :rolleyes:
I agree with you. There should be the option of an interior upgrade. I know I would have taken that option.They are doing it with the Corvette.Why not the Camaro?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
1. It is a first year car. You knew the risks buying a first year car so any little problems that the car might have, you shouldn't be complaining about. You should of waited a year or two if you wanted a car with a few less hiccups.

2. It addition to number 1, what do you think this car is, a high-end cadillac or Infiniti? It's a well-priced, well-built, tire killing macine. It's not some cruiser land boat to act all high and mighty in, it's not a luxury car so stop trying to make it one.

3. Why do people constantly complain about interior plastics? Do you touch the plastics constantly? Do they burn your skin or eyes? Does it kill you to know that they are not the best plastics available? These "Crappy" plastics are why you can have 425hp for $30,000 or 305hp for $20,000. You guys expect so much, without paying for it... the typical American way.

4. Be happy GM can build a car like this during these times. Be happy you don't drive a prius. It's people like you that got the Camaro killed the first time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From someone who owned a Prius for 3 years- the plastic in the Camaro is higher quality and yes much faster! and a heck of alot better looking, so far my June 2009 produced Camaro SS has been great! no quality issues.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1. It is a first year car. You knew the risks buying a first year car so any little problems that the car might have, you shouldn't be complaining about. You should of waited a year or two if you wanted a car with a few less hiccups.

2. It addition to number 1, what do you think this car is, a high-end cadillac or Infiniti? It's a well-priced, well-built, tire killing macine. It's not some cruiser land boat to act all high and mighty in, it's not a luxury car so stop trying to make it one.

3. Why do people constantly complain about interior plastics? Do you touch the plastics constantly? Do they burn your skin or eyes? Does it kill you to know that they are not the best plastics available? These "Crappy" plastics are why you can have 425hp for $30,000 or 305hp for $20,000. You guys expect so much, without paying for it... the typical American way.

4. Be happy GM can build a car like this during these times. Be happy you don't drive a prius. It's people like you that got the Camaro killed the first time.
1. Yes, we know it's the first year of the 5th generation, and your point is, what? This car has been in development since 2005. I would have no problems buying one. I realize that there will always be little glitches no matter what year it's produced.

2. I know exactly what it is. It's a modern-day performance car! That being said, it still could use quality parts in the interior; and not just in the drivetrain. I'm sure a vendor had good parts, but lost the contract due to being a little more expensive. Do me a favor and go check out a Nissan 370Z's interior and give me your honest opinion. You can never mistake a Camaro for a "cruiser land boat". Be real! :lol:

3. I, for one, ride in the interior of a car; not the trunk, there isn't enough space in the engine compartment and I'm not gonna strap myself to the roof. :lol: So yeah, I'm gonna state my opinion about the interior. That's where I reside when I'm driving. That's what I look at, and feel while I'm in the car. Duh! :lol: No, it doesn't kill me, but it leaves me wanting something more; and I'd be willing to pay extra for it. ;)

4. I am very happy that GM has produced the Camaro. It's the best thing they have done thus far. Never had an urge to drive a Prius. Not a fan of hybrids. Would rather own a Civic. ;) Get your facts straight, it was the declining sales of the 4th Gens (41,776 in 2002) that led to their demise. I've been a Camaro enthusiast since I was a child, and I've owned a few over time. :D

I guess, to you, it is considered a crime to want more, and be willing to pay for it. Unlike your inaccurate assessment, I am an American, and I am willing to pay for something more. If all it takes is 426hp to make you happy, so be it. That's why owners modify their cars to suit their individual needs and desires. I look forward to doing so to mine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1. Yes, we know it's the first year of the 5th generation, and your point is, what? This car has been in development since 2005. I would have no problems buying one. I realize that there will always be little glitches no matter what year it's produced.

2. I know exactly what it is. It's a modern-day performance car! That being said, it still could use quality parts in the interior; and not just in the drivetrain. I'm sure a vendor had good parts, but lost the contract due to being a little more expensive. Do me a favor and go check out a Nissan 370Z's interior and give me your honest opinion. You can never mistake a Camaro for a "cruiser land boat". Be real! :lol:

3. I, for one, ride in the interior of a car; not the trunk, there isn't enough space in the engine compartment and I'm not gonna strap myself to the roof. :lol: So yeah, I'm gonna state my opinion about the interior. That's where I reside when I'm driving. That's what I look at, and feel while I'm in the car. Duh! :lol: No, it doesn't kill me, but it leaves me wanting something more; and I'd be willing to pay extra for it. ;)

4. I am very happy that GM has produced the Camaro. It's the best thing they have done thus far. Never had an urge to drive a Prius. Not a fan of hybrids. Would rather own a Civic. ;) Get your facts straight, it was the declining sales of the 4th Gens (41,776 in 2002) that led to their demise. I've been a Camaro enthusiast since I was a child, and I've owned a few over time. :D

I guess, to you, it is considered a crime to want more, and be willing to pay for it. Unlike your inaccurate assessment, I am an American, and I am willing to pay for something more. If all it takes is 426hp to make you happy, so be it. That's why owners modify their cars to suit their individual needs and desires. I look forward to doing so to mine. :thumbsup:
I will say this... that there was/is a little more room for finessing the interior. I think, at the least, the center console tunnel could have used a polyurethane coating for a better tactile surface and make it more resistant to scratching. Haven't scratched mine yet, but if you have small kids or a dog it won't be scratch-free for long.

And I also agree with one of 80s_Adam's points, you're getting more for the money than you do with the 370Z, at the expense of not getting aroused by stroking the plastics in your car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I will say this... that there was/is a little more room for finessing the interior. I think, at the least, the center console tunnel could have used a polyurethane coating for a better tactile surface and make it more resistant to scratching. Haven't scratched mine yet, but if you have small kids or a dog it won't be scratch-free for long.

And I also agree with one of 80s_Adam's points, you're getting more for the money than you do with the 370Z, at the expense of not getting aroused by stroking the plastics in your car.
It's funny how you can agree and say that GM could've done something to improve the material on the center console, then turn around and say that you're getting so much more for the money than you do with the 370Z. My question to you is, "Have you even seen or driven a 2009 370Z?" You are more than likely making an uniformed and biased statement. Go check it out, and honestly tell me that GM couldn't have done a better job. Why do you think they offer the interior upgrade option on the Corvette? Simply because the owners complained that the plastic didn't measure up to what should be in Chevy's "Flagship" sports car! :thumbsup:

Even Nissan realized that the interior quality of the previous generation 350Z was dismal, and set out to improve it. Dollar for dollar, I believe you get a better "quality" car. Looking at a 2SS/RS vs. a 370Z Touring Sport at roughly $35-36,000, the Camaro has a 94hp advantage (426 to 332), but forget the fact that SS has a 6.2L V8 to the Z's 3.7L V6. Despite that the Z is only .6 sec slower in 0-60 runs and .7 sec slower in the 1/4 mile. Hmmm! :confused: Oh! I forgot that I am getting a backseat with the Camaro. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I bleed Camaro; and look forward to putting the new one in my garage. It's the fact that this generation embodies the essence of styling of the first generation. All I'm saying is GM could've upped the ante with the quality to keep pace with the competitors. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
An extra grand??? The 4LT option on the Vette is an $8000 option...
You are correct, and I stand corrected as far as the package pricing goes. Now looking at the 4LT vs. the 3LT, the only difference is the leather trimmed interior and the price difference between the two levels is $3500. In the Z06 the difference between the 2LZ & 3LZ is $4505. The 3ZR package in the ZR1 is a commanding $10,000, but it contains a host of other options (sports seats, side impact air bags, power passenger seat, luggage shade, memory package, power-telescoping steering wheel, heated seats, universal home remote transmitter, bluetooth, and custome leather wrapped interior)compared to the base 1ZR package.

I would hope that GM could do a leather wrapped interior package in the Camaro for $1000-1500 more. Or some sort of deluxe/custom interior. Like they have never done that before. ;) I don't see why people treat this like it's a foreign subject. :lol:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You are correct, and I stand corrected as far as the package pricing goes. Now looking at the 4LT vs. the 3LT, the only difference is the leather trimmed interior and the price difference between the two levels is $3500. In the Z06 the difference between the 2LZ & 3LZ is $4505. The 3ZR package in the ZR1 is a commanding $10,000, but it contains a host of other options (sports seats, side impact air bags, power passenger seat, luggage shade, memory package, power-telescoping steering wheel, heated seats, universal home remote transmitter, bluetooth, and custome leather wrapped interior)compared to the base 1ZR package.

I would hope that GM could do a leather wrapped interior package in the Camaro for $1000-1500 more. Or some sort of deluxe/custom interior. Like they have never done that before. ;) I don't see why people treat this like it's a foreign subject. :lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts

My facts are straight, you are interpreting my post wrong, or you cannot read, either or.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts