1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
34rwhp picked up on a dyno tune, and still on 87 octane

Taken from another forum:

Got to dyno a bone stock Pontiac G8 today. Nice car. Boy does GM cover their back-sides with all the timing reduction for temperature in coolant and IAT. Also very rich mixture.

Spent lots of time working on the tune since this customer would only run 87 octane. The results were very positive.

Baseline numbers were 279 rwhp, 299 rwtq
Tuned numbers were 313 rwhp, 328 rwtq

Because this tune was done on a Mustang dyno, we were also able to run the G8 on a 1/4 simulation.

Stock 1/4 mile dyno run: 13.44 @ 104 mph
Tuned 1/4 mile dyno run: 12.81 @ 109 mph
Tuned 1/4 mile dyno run with torque management removed: 12.49 @ 111 mph :eek:

Don't know how accurate the 1/4 mile dyno runs will be compared to the track, but a 13.44 @ 104 mph is not too far off of what stock G8s seem to be running. The owner plans on taking the car to the track soon so we'll have some real world results to back these up. Gotta love technology. We dropped nearly a second ET and we didn't have to turn a wrench.

I also made the AFM much more aggressive so the motor will cruise in 4 cylinder mode all the time cruising down the highway. I know this was good for a 2-3 mpg gain on my Suburban. I would expect similar gains on the G8. In this day of nearly $4 per gallon fuel, it's nice to gain over 30 rwhp and increase fuel economy at the same time.
Very nice!! Now tune it for 93 octane, and it'd pick up another 5-10hp.

Wow, these things are going to respond nicely to mods! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
That's amazing! Guess I'll be taking my Camaro to a dyno shop as soon as I get it for this same treatment. It's funny that GM can't tune these stock for these better numbers.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
nahh id do a 89 octane tune so i don't have to buy the stuff that is 3.50 a gallon but that is kool what motor is in this car?

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
nahh id do a 89 octane tune so i don't have to buy the stuff that is 3.50 a gallon but that is kool what motor is in this car?

the one that possible will be in the new Camaro ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't see the Dodge Challenger coming close to these numbers. Way to go, GM!!!!:patriot: High performance, good value, good looks, good MPG. Where is Japan now? Maybe they can confiscate a G8 and try to copy it, cuz thats what they do best.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I must say, I'm impressed with the G8....If I need more space and every day driving comfort, I'd buy this over the Camaro.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
wtf 12.4 just a tune no power adders?
:) That's the dyno simulation 1/4 mile time in a perfect world. Still, that is impressive as hell.

I'm liking the G8 more and more. Once my wife gets her's she will be wondering why I want to drive it all the time. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts