Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
xxSkullZxx
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I was having a discussion the other day at work with a co-worker in regards to the performance of the V6 engines in the 5th Gen Camaro's in comparison to the 2007-2010 Mustang GT's. I did a little research and found out that the V8 GT's from those years actually had less HP and only slightly more torque than the current V6 Camaro.

My question is if the Mustang V8's from those years actually has less stock HP than a V6 Camaro, why are their so many on the road?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Because the Camaro was not available. At that point, if you were a V8 RWD enthusiast, your only other choices were the GTO (super expensive and only produced from 04-06), the Charger (super expensive, super heavy, and super slow for the engine output), or the Challenger (super expensive, super heavy, super slow for the engine output, and not available until 2008).

The Mustang was the only one that was available consistently every year. Their power output was only like 310 but the also weighed only about 3500 lbs. And you could get them for a fairly good price. As far as performance, a 3V GT will beat a V6 Camaro pretty convincingly. They may have slightly less hp, but they have a good amount more torque and a lot less weight. They run mid to high 13s stock. A stock V6 Camaro is in the low 14s with a really good driver. With bolt ons, some GTs can hang with a stock SS.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah, it's a v8, a v8 is always better than a v6, it will always have more torque at lower rpm's.. Chapel pretty much spelled it out, it was the only car in it's class, but mustangs are always good cars, cheap, reliable, fast enough and decent economy.., remember the motor was only a 4.6 liter, not like it was a 6.0.. decent looking car too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts