Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6L80 is rated at 439ft-lbs. I want to avoid another situation where I have to buy some level 10 transmission just to mod the car. Does anyone know how much it can take stock? I have no idea what the LS3 vette guys are putting it through.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I got a friend who has a 2008 Corvette C6 Z51 and he has a Tune , full Z06 exhaust , headers and intake and he has the Transmission you are wanting and it holds up just FINE !!!!!!

He drops it down into S mode puts it in traction control and floors it.
One nice thing about this transmission is after you get to where you know how to drive with it you can downshift by working the Gas.

If a stock automatic from a 2000-2002 Camaro can hold up to a nitrous fed Ls1 with 400hp imagine what this baby will do ? lol

my friend loves this transmission and after I got to finally drive it for myself recently im SOLD !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that the issue with the 6L80 is the size - it is longer than the 4L60/65. I think that the firewall changes in the 2008 trucks to allow for the 5.3L engine fixed the clearance issues for the front transmission housing in a longitudinal application.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I read somewhere that the issue with the 6L80 is the size - it is longer than the 4L60/65. I think that the firewall changes in the 2008 trucks to allow for the 5.3L engine fixed the clearance issues for the front transmission housing i na longitudinal application.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Nope the L in the name designates longitudinal mounting. 6 gears Longitude mount 400 lb rating (800/2).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hope it holds up better than what they put in the Trailblazer SS. I know people running nitrous with cams and stall converters that are having problems. but they are the 4L70E's. My 96 camaro ss was putting down 542 rwhp on the bottle and that trans held up fine, even with a 4000 stall and one big ass trans cooler. So I hope this one is as good or better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The weight of the vehicle has as much to do with how long it holds up as the torque of the engine.

A LS7 clutch in a modded GTO will not last as long as it will in a Z06.
GTO weighs 600-700lbs + more.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
The 4L80E is a beast of a trans. Thick gearsets thick shafts etc. Makes the weak 4L60/65/70 look puny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
the 6L80e trans should hold up just fine to 500hp+, and if a person reaches the point that the 6L80e just wont do it anymore the 6L90e trans should be a very easy swap, it is only several mm longer and uses the same type of controller

·
Registered
116 Posts
All i know is my 07 Avalanche has a 4L60E and that transmission sucks, the transmission died just after 20,000 miles and they needed to replace it(luckily it was still way under the warranty), and over at an Avalanche forum I'm finding out that I'm not the only one this is happening to, the sun shell in them keep cracking and stripping.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
They are factory rated to like 450. But as with most transmissions they can take a bit more. I haven't had my hands in one yet but from what I heard the internals are as stout as the 4L80 or more. The 4L60E needs alot of fortification just to match the 80's stock(4L or 6L). As stated above vehicle weight plays a big key though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.