Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
There is a whole field of people that disagree with you:

I thought the turbo trans-ams was only made in 1980...those are not 1980's...looks like most are '77 or '78's judging from the grills. Am I missing something??? And no offense, the 1980 "turbo" trans-am didn't have enough power to make owners want to brag about their turbos.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
This shows how much I know about cars, but, why not do both. turbo and supercharger? whats the difference?
Turbos use turbine driven by exhaust gasses to compress air and shove it into your motor. Superchargers are belt driven. If you can have twin super chargers or twin turbo chargers, I'm not sure there's a reason you couldn't have both...but it would definately be overkill.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Turbos are much more efficient than their supercharger counterparts. Whereas the supercharger relies on turning the rotors by a belt like the rest of your accesories, the turbo uses the spent exhaust gas. A supercharger will use up some of the power it makes (just like your water pump, compressor, etc).

Turbos are fun. My friend has a TT IROC that he built himself. The STS is a great system to just "plug and play", but you can build yourself one that would preform better.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Turbos use turbine driven by exhaust gasses to compress air and shove it into your motor. Superchargers are belt driven. If you can have twin super chargers or twin turbo chargers, I'm not sure there's a reason you couldn't have both...but it would definately be overkill.
i read an artical on a bmw not too long ago that had a turbo and supercharger setup it was sweet.

and i read that it is common in japan(no flaming)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Turbos are much more efficient than their supercharger counterparts. Whereas the supercharger relies on turning the rotors by a belt like the rest of your accesories, the turbo uses the spent exhaust gas. A supercharger will use up some of the power it makes (just like your water pump, compressor, etc).

Turbos are fun. My friend has a TT IROC that he built himself. The STS is a great system to just "plug and play", but you can build yourself one that would preform better.
i belive they use 30% of the power they produce.... but that is an old estament from a very old magizne

·
Registered
199 Posts
the worst concept for a turbo sytem I've seen. yeah it makes decent power - as ANY power adder would.. ask the techies over at STS how the kit performs running in 2" of water at 30+ mph? :mad:

if you want a legit TT system properly designed check out APS. that system is SICK! profesional system that produces gobs of intercooled power! the only downside is they are located in Aussy land. but they have a kit for the G8 and vette.. and soon the camaro! :roxor:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts