Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know anything other than what I have read on the website regarding the STS Twin Turbo setup? It sounds sick and I'm about ready to pull the trigger, but have yet to see much info on it. I have a shop in the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex ready to place the order and get it installed, but I want to make the smartest choice. Does anyone know anything factual that could help make the right decision?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
im debating the same also. turbo or supercharger. but not the sts kit. i was going to do a single turbo. after a long time of debating, ive decided to do a pro charger.turbo kits are very hot and very messy. lots of oil leaks. im not a fan of huge turbo lag either. yeah turbos sound cool and to say you have a twin turbo or turbo camaro, it sounds bad ass. but superchargers are a better and more reliable way to go. and im not bias towards either . im just going by whats going to make my life and my car easier/safer and better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had a turbo car for a few years with no issues what so ever, no leaks no nothing. i my self have been going back n forth on between turbo or supercharged but i think im going to do twins :)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
if i go turbo, ill do a single. im leaning toward pro charger or vortech right now though. its a great unit and very cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
see i wanted to go sc because its cheaper and i like the whined but turbo is just great power and if done right very reliable. i will be doing twin turbo, twin turbonetics 61 mm ball bearing turbos

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
turbos are also more efficient because your using wasted energy in the exhaust to compress the air intake, creating better fuel efficiency and power.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
see i wanted to go sc because its cheaper and i like the whined but turbo is just great power and if done right very reliable. i will be doing twin turbo, twin turbonetics 61 mm ball bearing turbos
you get great reliable power out of superchargers too. probably more reliable power than a turbo. turbos are messy and unless you really know how to take care of a turboed car, id go with a s/c. low maint.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
turbos are also more efficient because your using wasted energy in the exhaust to compress the air intake, creating better fuel efficiency and power.
when your looking to put close to 600 hp into a car, the mpg thought goes right out the window, no matter what you pick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you get great reliable power out of superchargers too. probably more reliable power than a turbo. turbos are messy and unless you really know how to take care of a turboed car, id go with a s/c. low maint.
thats not really true, why is it then you see way more stock turbo cars then sc cars? dont get me wrong i love both power adders but turbos are just as reliable as long as everything is done right, but that goes for superchargers as well if its not done right it will cause just as many problems

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
thats not really true, why is it then you see way more stock turbo cars then sc cars? dont get me wrong i love both power adders but turbos are just as reliable as long as everything is done right, but that goes for superchargers as well if its not done right it will cause just as many problems
because most cars are trying to stay fuel efficient with 4 cylinders but don't want to lose the power of a v6 or v8 so they add a turbo to gain more power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
im not talking just cars every 18 wheeler i see is turbo these day no longer super charged like they were back back in the day. i just wish i had 2 camaros so i can sc one and turbo the other lol

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
stock turbos? like evo ect.? i dont see more stock turbo cars than s/c. ive seen quite a few stock s/c cars. i see alot of "stock turbo cars" on the economy end of the car spectrum.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I dont know much about either of them, but all I can say is I was in OC Maryland for the huge cruise in May, I was siting at a red light and a new Challenger Convertible pulled up next to me, I asked the guy if it had a turbo, he shook his head no, I said come on I can hear it, he once again shook his head no, then he held up two fingers, he had a twin turbo SRT-8, when he pulled out, it was possibly the sickest thing I've ever heard, it sounded like an electric RC car, the reponse was amazing..my hats off to turbos!

·
8,984 Posts
turbo

pros:
fuel economy
cons:
turbo lag

supercharger
pros:
no lag
low end torque
cons:
fuel economy
TOTALLY off base.:lol:

Most turbo lag issues have been solved in the last 5 years or MORE.
Bad fuel economy only comes when your FOOT is in the accelerator.
They both can create gobs of low-end torque.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Does anyone out there know anything other than what I have read on the website regarding the STS Twin Turbo setup? It sounds sick and I'm about ready to pull the trigger, but have yet to see much info on it. I have a shop in the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex ready to place the order and get it installed, but I want to make the smartest choice. Does anyone know anything factual that could help make the right decision?
I believe you'll have to lose your current catback exhaust as their twin turbo system is rear mounted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts