Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 years ago I got a Mustang Convertible and I loved that car - right up until it broke down in 2003 (busted transmission). Times were tough so my next car was a Mazda Protege, but I promised I would someday get another Mustang convertible. That day has come..!! Except I'm not so sure I want the Mustang anymore. I've never been a Camaro guy but this 5th Gen version is one of the single nicest looking cars I have ever seen in the under-$50,000 category. I have to admit... I fell in love with Bumblebee :D

My only concern is I don't want to wait 2 or 3 years to get the car I want. So here are my stupid questions (and I apologize for my cluelessness):

I know the convertibles start hitting the streets summer of 2009. What are my chances of getting one right away..? Is there anything I should be doing now, like contacting my local dealer..? Am I going to have to pay an arm and a leg for the car..? I can afford MSRP, but not if the dealer tacks an extra $10,000 onto that. What are my chances of getting the specific type and color I want within a reasonable time...?

This is a great site and it has definitely led me to change my mind from a Mustang to a Camaro..!!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
8 years ago I got a Mustang Convertible and I loved that car - right up until it broke down in 2003 (busted transmission). Times were tough so my next car was a Mazda Protege, but I promised I would someday get another Mustang convertible. That day has come..!! Except I'm not so sure I want the Mustang anymore. I've never been a Camaro guy but this 5th Gen version is one of the single nicest looking cars I have ever seen in the under-$50,000 category. I have to admit... I fell in love with Bumblebee :D

My only concern is I don't want to wait 2 or 3 years to get the car I want. So here are my stupid questions (and I apologize for my cluelessness):

I know the convertibles start hitting the streets summer of 2009. What are my chances of getting one right away..? Is there anything I should be doing now, like contacting my local dealer..? Am I going to have to pay an arm and a leg for the car..? I can afford MSRP, but not if the dealer tacks an extra $10,000 onto that. What are my chances of getting the specific type and color I want within a reasonable time...?

This is a great site and it has definitely led me to change my mind from a Mustang to a Camaro..!!

Welcome to the site...it's always nice to see 'stang guys migrate over. Don't worry, those aren't really stupid questions...you didn't mention the non-production headlights, rant about the concept's interior and you didn't ask when the Firebird was coming back...so you're WAY ahead of the game.:BangHead:

In my case, I want to factory order a hard-top when it comes out. I spoke to the chevy dealer I bought my last truck from. I was told they are not taking deposits yet (until the have all the info about the car). But they are keeping a list of people to contact as soon as they will be taking deposits and those people will get first dibs on ordering. They said they will not be charging over MSRP. I would say you should contact your local dealers and see what their policy's seem to be and take it from there.

It really all depends on how many converts they build. If they're pretty limited in the first year, it may take some time to get one...just gotta hope you can place the order as early as possible, and you find an honest dealer that cares about the customer and not making a quick extra buck (if that's possible).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm in shock that you went from a Mustang to a Protege. Wow. Welcome to the site though.

Have you considered leasing a Chevy for about 2-3 years until the car you want is out? Just an option.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
This is so weird! I had a 91 Mustang LX convertible, but it was an automatic, and I had just started autocrossing. It was a heavy dog. So I sold it, and bought something a little lighter and a little more family friendly. An '02 Mazda Protege5. And I'll tell you what, I loved that car. Can't believe I went from RWD muscle to FWD "rice". But the Protege was a well balanced and incredibly roomy and efficient car, and dude could it autocross. Then only problem was that I ended up with the gas pedal on the floor, and I was wanting more. So I switched back to RWD muscle in my 94 Corvette. Anyways, I sold the Protege to a friend, and would have kept it for my wife, but she wanted an automatic. My friend's wife actually still autocrosses the car and totes her kids around, too.

Anyways, it's nice to see someone that is on the same path! I really wanted a convertible Camaro, but since autocrossing has become my new love, I decided to go with the coupe for handling and eventual road course safety issues.

Welcome to the site. I think you'll be rewarded with your patience on the Camaro. They are taking longer because they are doing it right. This car will be worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site!

I personally don't think there will be a huge issue with the Vert. Most are going HT anyway and the Vert will bow long after the initial craze hits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts