Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I go to the dealer today, to look at one of the new black G8s. So I'm talking to the salesman, and first he makes me wait on something, apparently, and then proceeds to stand around and not help me. I have to GET HIS ATTENTION to help me. Strike one, ****ty service. So we go on the test drive. I get on it a little, and he tells me "Don't shift it in manual mode, it's 'bad for the car'". Strike two: Doesn't know much about transmission. THEN he proceeds to tell me, the only correct thing that he has said thus far, that the G8 provides American competition to the 5-series.

So we get in to talking about the 5-series and the G8, while on the test drive. He tells me the 550i is FASTER AND BETTER HANDLING than the M5. I Just looked at him completely dumbfounded. He then proceeds to tell me that the GXP will outrun a Bently Continental GT. I flat out told him he was wrong. So we drive on for a bit in silence, and I get on it (in D), and we come up to a rather sloping corner, and I speed up a bit, go about 65 in a 50 on this corner to see how it handles. He reaches over and grabs my hand and tells me "Cool it down, and slow down, we know what it can do, no need to test it." So I very politely ask, then, what is the point in test driving the car, then? To hear how it sounds going 35? He shut up.

So I point blank tell him not to touch me, and that we're going back to the dealership, test drive has been finished. He did the stupidest thing you could possibly do in grabbing a drivers hand while cornering at speed. On top of that, he didn't know **** about automobiles in general. I'm going to talk to the sales manager about this guy. Total ****ing moron. And on top of that, he was trying to sell it to me like it was the single most important, cream of the crop of all cars ever ****ing built. Made me sick just to listen to the incoherent dribble he considered truth.

I know this isn't the G8 forum, but I am pissed about this..and you guys are like family.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Haha. Oh wow. I hate dealers that act like they know things, but are as useless as Clay Aiken in a whorehouse.

-My mom really liked the Saturn Astra. She wanted to test drive it, but wanted to take someone along that knew a lot about cars, so she took me. It took us 5 minutes to spot a salesman. We told him we wanted to test drive the Astra 5 door XR, but he said they were all out, and suggested upgrading to the Aura (I suppose so that he can get more money...) I said "well what about those 2 XR's over there?"

"Oh. I didn't see those"
and I'm thinking yeah right. then once we got in, he was saying that this car had a powerful V4. Ok so the car was slow as hell, and it's an I4. Big difference. Then he went on about how this car can outrun a Civic, and I tried to refrain from laughing, and even my mom knew that was an outright lie. After that, all he kept on saying was 'wow do you feel that torque?' and 'this car is high tech'...... Ok, um firstly, no I don't feel that torque. I can run faster than the Astra's top speed, and come on. The dashboard looks like something left over from IBM in the late 80's. Steering was sharp and so were the exterior lines, but the salesman kept on yapping and yapping about all the junk I already knew, like "here's the raked winshield" 'here's the fuel door, here's the rims, here's the steering wheel, here's the car' My mom was going to buy a car that day, but she said if all dealers were like that, she'll wait a few months to get one used. As for that dealer: Like I said before- useless. My cat could have done a better job. I guess we need to be more like Saturn and "Rethink".

DaytonaYellow69ss396: Maybe I needed to vent also. I feel better.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I've had several issues like that. One I even went back to buy the car and told the sales manager that I didn't want the salesman I had, he was snotty and rude. So another salesman sold me the car, and the first guy saw it all. I'm not a contraversial person, so that was a really big deal to me, to do that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
lol yea
its fun to ask them questions
and know them and they dont
lol
im sixteen and know more than some of the people there
yet i have never test drove anything but my parents have and i always went with them
thats how i got started on cars mainly lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ah I been there also, when blah-looking GTO was out, I wanted to get into the seat of one and test drive it, get to a dealership, only GTO on the lot and it was collecting dust, so I asked the salesman about getting a test drive..............and he tells me, "Sorry we only let serious buyers test drive", WOW i was shocked, I argued with the guy about it, and Im a tall guy, so I asked could I atleast sit in it.................he says, "Let me see what I can do"........well that was a bitter taste

Months later in December after the GTOs were no longer produced, I stopped at another dealership near my school, I had just gotten out of a Final, it was 9am, I see this dealership has about 10 GTO's in stock, I actually wanted to drive the Buick Lucerne, but was shocked to see so many GTO's, well a cool salesman with his coffee comes out and greats me, sees me eyeballing the GTO's, and we talked an all, and he tells me "do you wanna take one out and drive it", I was shocked for the invite, he told then, "pick your color", I said, "It doesnt matter I'll test any one of them", he runs to get some keys to a Black on Black GTO, hes gets in the seat, and he did a rundown check list a fighter pilot, then slowly pull away thru the dealership, as we roll thru the dealership, "He tells me how he used to be a state Trooper and was certified for High-speed driving" then proceeds to tell me to hold on, as the front wheels hit the frontage road by the expressway, he drops his foot down and next thing I know we are sliding out of the dealership and heading 80mph onto the onramp. Heading down around 80mph, he waits as the expressways clears up ahead and then again tells me, "Your going to like this", and BAM all I hear is the harmony of the LS2 pumping a melody. I look over and I see the needle pass 140mph and still climbing, next thing I see the needle cresting at 160mph............what a rush that was.......I thought it was over.

Well not at all, get off and take a turn around, tells me its my turn to take it back but tells me I cant go that fast, so we switch seats at a gas station, Im nervous of having to wreck a car and buy it, so I feather it alil, heading up the expressway bearly touch 65mph, I get jammed behind some cars, and I cant move over, and what do I hear from the salesman, "Punch it, pass them" so I punch it and wiz past the cars, and continue on it, getting up to 140-150mph..............that my friends is the most memorable test drive I've had so far, and cant wait to replace it with the camaro ls3...

sorry for the long rant, but I always love rekindling on that testdrive.........LOVE GM!!!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Ah I been there also, when blah-looking GTO was out, I wanted to get into the seat of one and test drive it, get to a dealership, only GTO on the lot and it was collecting dust, so I asked the salesman about getting a test drive..............and he tells me, "Sorry we only let serious buyers test drive", WOW i was shocked, I argued with the guy about it, and Im a tall guy, so I asked could I atleast sit in it.................he says, "Let me see what I can do"........well that was a bitter taste

Months later in December after the GTOs were no longer produced, I stopped at another dealership near my school, I had just gotten out of a Final, it was 9am, I see this dealership has about 10 GTO's in stock, I actually wanted to drive the Buick Lucerne, but was shocked to see so many GTO's, well a cool salesman with his coffee comes out and greats me, sees me eyeballing the GTO's, and we talked an all, and he tells me "do you wanna take one out and drive it", I was shocked for the invite, he told then, "pick your color", I said, "It doesnt matter I'll test any one of them", he runs to get some keys to a Black on Black GTO, hes gets in the seat, and he did a rundown check list a fighter pilot, then slowly pull away thru the dealership, as we roll thru the dealership, "He tells me how he used to be a state Trooper and was certified for High-speed driving" then proceeds to tell me to hold on, as the front wheels hit the frontage road by the expressway, he drops his foot down and next thing I know we are sliding out of the dealership and heading 80mph onto the onramp. Heading down around 80mph, he waits as the expressways clears up ahead and then again tells me, "Your going to like this", and BAM all I hear is the harmony of the LS2 pumping a melody. I look over and I see the needle pass 140mph and still climbing, next thing I see the needle cresting at 160mph............what a rush that was.......I thought it was over.

Well not at all, get off and take a turn around, tells me its my turn to take it back but tells me I cant go that fast, so we switch seats at a gas station, Im nervous of having to wreck a car and buy it, so I feather it alil, heading up the expressway bearly touch 65mph, I get jammed behind some cars, and I cant move over, and what do I hear from the salesman, "Punch it, pass them" so I punch it and wiz past the cars, and continue on it, getting up to 140-150mph..............that my friends is the most memorable test drive I've had so far, and cant wait to replace it with the camaro ls3...

sorry for the long rant, but I always love rekindling on that testdrive.........LOVE GM!!!

hear that scotty??? hint hint wink wink:roxor::lol:;)

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Sad to hear about your bad test drive. Hope you get to another chance at a better dealership.

I had a similar experience years ago. I later went back and finished what I started. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to sell cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
09SemperSS please send a formal complaint to GM

Can you name the dealer?
Your experience is unacceptable - The G8 is all about the driving experience.. this dealer should be selling Toyota Corollas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow....that sucks. Our salesman let us take the car by ourselves, on top of that we actually got to keep the car over the weekend while waiting for financing. I would definitely file a formal complaint on the guy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you! As soon as we saw it, we knew it was the one we wanted. The funny thing is, until the Camaro and G8 I never even thought about owning a white car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice white G8 GT. If I needed the extra doors and room I would probably buy one. I looked at them a couple times and was VERY IMPRESSED with the fit and finish and high quality in and out. I would get the G8 GXP manual. 402hp. But not needing the room, the LS3 SS manual Camaro will be my next car.

I have $40k waiting.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
If the G8 GT had a manual, I would probably already have one, and be on the G8 Forums. :)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Well, the Camaro is my first choice. Even though I have 2 small-ish kids, and the bigger back seat with extra doors would be nice, my heart lies with the Camaro. This waiting has been suffering, but bearable. If there was a G8 GT Manual, I'm not sure I could have waited.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When it comes time to test drive the Camaro, I sure as hell dont want the saleman coming with me (unless he is cool, right Scotty?;)).
I have had all experiences, where they come with me, dont come with me, keep the car for the weekend, etc. I even had one tell me the route to take which was about a mile long through a neighborhood. I told him how the heck does he expect me to buy a car based on the fact that it drove well at speeds under 35 mpg. I got on the freeway anyway and drove aboout 5 miles west and back, to see how the AFM worked. The whole time he was leaning in front of my daughter (my wife and I in the front, my son, daughter and him in the back) telling me we were taking too long. Needless to say I didnt give him my business.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Good on ya! (That was for our Aussie buddies).

Crappy dealers don't deserve the business, or they will think that they can be crappy and GET business. They need to know that they lost business for it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
G8 GXP WILL have a manual with 402hp. $39k LOADED.

TOO BAD I don't need the extra doors.

It looks like the SS/RS Camaro LS3 manual will be in my driveway in May 09.

OH MY I CAN'T FRIKEN WAIT!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts