Modern Camaro Forums banner

Subwoofer and amp...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pojo2001 
#1 ·
I'm considering an Alpine Type R sub and a Kenwood 501 amp for my trunk. This looks like something I can set up myself. The local audio store charges about $600 for parts and labor to set it all up. And their prices are a bit more than Best Buy...which is a bit more than Ebay and Amazon. So looking it over, it doesn't look like something I can't do myself. So I'll buy the parts and the wiring kit and do it. I can get the parts for around $300 or a little more than that. And I already have the RCA cables hooked up to my head unit. So it'll just be a matter of running the wires back and connecting them or whatever. I'll probably do this in a couple weeks. So I just figured I'd see if any of you have any advice or suggestions.

#2 ·
Do it yourself. Most of the audio stores' "professional" installers are just off the street guys with no actual training.

It's not hard to do, and it's YOUR car, so you'll take care of it, and not hack it up and hide the mess behind a panel.

A couple of tips:

Since you're running new cables, DON'T run audio cables next to power cables. You'll pick up noise. If you get your stuff from Crutchfield, you can get all the installation bits for cheap there, especially for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.