Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently traded my Mustang(09)GT for a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 6.2L, Auto.
The GT I had added a CAI, Flowmasters, and a SCT Tuner with Bama Tunes.
The SS is a CPO car with 4K original miles and intact warranty.
I'm looking to do something similar with the SS. I'm not looking to build a street Racer, just add a little pep. I have been told any of those additions will cause a "check Engine light" ? The SS will be a "weekend" driver, but must pass the Texas emissions Inspection. I would like to keep the warranty in tact as well.
I would appreciate suggestions, real world experiences with these types of mods.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just added the FlowMasters (Series 40) muffs to mine. As far as I know there weren't/aren't any codes or check engines lights coming on.

I did read that several folks had CEL's after installing the K&N cold air intake. Which is unfortunate because that was my next addition. I spoke to the service writer at my dealer and was told neither of those mods would be a warranty concern. However, if it did cause a CEL I would have to pay for any diagnostic work if it was a direct result of the new intake.

·
3,081 Posts
You will be fine with axle back exhaust and a CAI. Thats all I would do as far as keeping your warranty. People get codes when they go with long tube headers or cat back exhaust. Thats when it will start throwing codes. And to get rid of the codes they must have it tuned. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The stock exhaust flows plenty well for your power level.
If you want to keep the warranty in tact then a cold air intake and ported TB is about it. GM can void the warranty for any real power mods or tuning. I dont see you making anymore power with a different exhaust but you will change the sound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
From the post here, it appears a CAI and maybe a pair of Flowmaster's are in this cars future. Forgive my ignorance with current GM control systems. My experience with Harley-Davidson and the GT were that by increasing the ability of the engine to breathe better, a Tuner or Tuning were required. The Ford and HD's would tend to be LEAN at cruising speeds and upper RPM ranges. Does the GM compensate for this? or is the effect so minimal that adding a CAI and free-er flowing mufflers would not cause a lean condition?
I'm trying to learn Guys so please bare with my stupid questions. I haven't played with a performance GM product since before the days of on board computers.
Thanks

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
If all you're going to do is install a cai and flowmasters, then you'll be fine. The Camaro's ecu can easily compensate for these mods without the need for a tune. And.....Welcome and Congrats to :5go: Post some pictures once you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Ain't broke. Don't fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the axle back exhaust using the series 40 Flowmasters, originally left the resonator in place. I didn't really notice much change in sound and virtually no change in driveability. 24 hours later I had the resonator removed and what a difference. Sound is much better and noticeable improvement in driveability. I'm looking at adding the CAI next. I spent a little time over at LMR the other day and got a few ideas from those guys. If they had had a CAI in stock it would have already been on the car. I'm thinking hard on the AirRaid at the moment.
Thanks for the ideas and input. By all means keep them coming, it is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Hello & Welcome from another HD Guy... I have the Cold Air Inductions CAI w/Flo Pro but getting ready to change to Flowmaster. Just had the TB Ported and Polished today and then I painted it IOM. Hoping it will be dry tomorrow so Ican put it back on and see what the difference is..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system on for about 5 months now. The sound is incredible and the motor seems smoother with better acceleration! Everyone says the car sounds awesome! No problems or codes and shop that put it on said the install was very easy1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I did the axle back exhaust using the series 40 Flowmasters, originally left the resonator in place. I didn't really notice much change in sound and virtually no change in driveability. 24 hours later I had the resonator removed and what a difference. Sound is much better and noticeable improvement in driveability. I'm looking at adding the CAI next. I spent a little time over at LMR the other day and got a few ideas from those guys. If they had had a CAI in stock it would have already been on the car. I'm thinking hard on the AirRaid at the moment.
Thanks for the ideas and input. By all means keep them coming, it is much appreciated.
removing the resonators may lead to the afm sound driving you crazy it can be tuned out but I know you want to keep the warranty intact, if the sounds bug you you can add a magnaflow resonator its basically a cross flow muffler you keep the performance and sound and get rid of the afm noises. One of my buddys did and its sounds great

also for CAI take a look at cold air inductions its a really nice clean looking system and it performs well. That you will feel. Also you can add the adm air scoop and do the washer bottle delete it gets more air flowing into the intake and wont effect your warranty I did a diy here:
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v8-engine-discussion/27037-adm-air-scoop-washer-relocation-washer-delete-project.html

There are nicer options for the washer bottle now too

there are no stupid questions here, if you think its dumb well I probably asked them too

good luck !

I have lots of ideas when your ready to trash your warranty !!

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
warranty work is based on if something you did is causing the problem and that problem should be something the part mfg can solve. ive rolled a heavy cammed car a few years back to a dealer for "other" problems and all were taken care of. id also consult with one of the better techs at the dealer since im seeing the typical myths appearing on forums, kinda reminds me of the early 4 th gens. service writers dont have a clue, the techs tell them whats going on. the best thing you can do to wake it up, is a tune, but go to a known shop that isnt going anywhere. here i deal with futral motorsports, he's been doing this stuff since the lt1 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts