Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some winter weather where I live but not enough to justify changing out to dedicated snow tires every year. I have been told that summer performance tires will be mandatory on the RS package 20-inch wheels. Is that correct, or can all-seasons be substituted?

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
I'm pretty sure he meant be substituted from the factory. If summer ones are mandatory, then he would have to spend money out of his pocket to replace them with all-seasons after getting delivery of the car. But if summers are not mandatory, then all he would have to do is change his order to include all-seasons straight from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
^^^^ I believe you are correct in clarifying the OP's question.:)

Now can somebody clarify the correct answer because I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forget Winter driving

Any one would be crazy to drive a car like this in any snow at all. I used to own a 85' TA and the tires where so wide it could hardly get up the driveway (which had minimal slope). Bottom line is, big wide tires = trouble in the winter! I suggest you buy a nice cover for it during the snow season, and buy a cheap 4 wheel drive vehicle to get you by.

By the way, I slid that TA into a curb going relatively slow during a minor snow fall, and had to wait 3 weeks while the shop bent the frame back into shape. Lesson learned!

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
You are correct, the 20" tires are summer tires, and that's the only way they come.
The 18s and 19s, however, are all-season.

This car would drive just fine in the winter.
With modern traction control systems, it would be fine.
That said, I don't think I would drive in the winter without snow tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I already have my 4WD vehicle (Chevy 2500HD diesel pickup) for driving on snow and ice. It is my understanding, however, that summer performance tires are made with special compounds that react badly to low air temperatures and should not be driven when the temp drops below about 40 degrees even when the road surface is bone dry. Comments?

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
Yes, summer only tires have a softer compound which turns to an absolute rock when below 40*. You can very well drive with them on dry pavement if you're careful, but definitely not snow or ice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have summer tires on my GTO and with just a dusting of snow, i get stuck! Hopefully the stl area is not going to have much more snow. BUT this Fall, i will be investing in a set of all season tires

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was wondering what the impact was with these summer tires. Snows/ices up alot here in Maryland. But, thats what the 4 wheel drive is for. I wonder what my 2008 ss impala came with now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts