Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a 2010 or 2011 2SS 6M.
To avoid some weight I want to avoid the sun roof.
However, I may come upon a great deal on a car with this
option. Does anyone know the weight difference with/without
the sun roof ??

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would think at most with glass and motor parts etc...maybe, MAYBE 75lbs max? I can't think it would be heavier than that but I could be wrong. I know it was the one option I was considering going without but in the end got it and havne't looked back. LOVE the sunroof.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I say no sunroof because when it opens it is on top of the car creating double the wind resistance. If it was made to slide into the roof I would have thaught about it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Closer to 10#. sunroof gets flat roof, no sunroof gets reverse mohawk roof.
It's more than 10 pounds. The section that's cut out of the roof might weigh 20 pounds. A sunroof assembly with glass, track motor and everything will probably weigh at least 60-70 pounds.

I went with no sunroof because it gives me more headroom. I'm 6'5" and I my head hits the headliner in a Camaro with a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I say no sun roof because I love the "reverse mohawk" roof.
I say no sunroof because when it opens it is on top of the car creating double the wind resistance. If it was made to slide into the roof I would have thaught about it.
What do either of these comments have to do with weight?

At least Morpheus makes some sense:
It's more than 10 pounds. The section that's cut out of the roof might weigh 20 pounds. A sunroof assembly with glass, track motor and everything will probably weigh at least 60-70 pounds.
As far a guesses go I think he's pretty close.

·
Registered
181 Posts
get the sunroof, most don't want to pay the extra $$$ to have one. Offset the weight of the glass by going on a diet........

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like sunroofs in general, when viewed from the inside, but the Camaro looks so much better from the outside without it!

So, I don't have one.

PS, I weight 150 lbs. That must be why my Camaro is so quick.;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unless you are going to do some competitive driving and really fine tune things is 50 lbs really going to make a difference. I think it would be more important to consider your personal feelings on the functionality and look of with or without sunroof if you will only use this car for normal driving. If you are going to get a great deal then it would make sense to have the sunroof. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the opinions folks. I will try to avoid the sunroof.
I don't particularly like the way it looks and now that I know
it weighs a lot it is twice as bad ( plus now I can have MORE
Cheese Burgers :jifsmilie:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I like the way that the sunroof adds the "feeling" of more room even though it causes the ceiling to be a little lower. I looked at one with and one without and it felt like a larger cabin and added dark so it didn't feel like I was sitting in a cave, so I got the sunroof. Totally a matter of personal preference and maybe a positive selling point sometime down the road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Had to add my 2 cents ... I have a sun roof but I can give a reason not to have one.

Sitting at a stoplight minding my own business. I feel this hit on my shoulder. I look over and there is a large white patch of bird goo. :thumbsdown: Luckily it landed on me (did I say that out loud?) so I didn't have to clean the car, just tossed the shirt.

But I still like the sunroof. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sunroof

Well I'll tel you this... If you get the sunroof, I hope you don't like XM because it'll cut inand out everytine you head north wuth the sunroof open. :mad:

-Bob George

·
Registered
376 Posts
even if it is 60 to 70 pounds its not enough to matter just keep it closed if you go to the track, plus take the weight of the roof they cut out and the weight of the sun roof its not that bad.Thats my thought.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I love having a sunroof in my blazer when it opens it goes into the ceiling but in the camaro i dont think it does that so i dont know which way id go for it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts