Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dose anyone think there will be a super camaro? like the mustang has the base v6 then the v8 and then the top dog the gt500.

i know i would love to see a super camaro with an LS9!!!:roxor::cancan::drool::thumbsup::bowdown:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I think there is a chance in seeing one although i doubt it will get the LS9, maybe the LSA/LS8 though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think there is a chance in seeing one although i doubt it will get the LS9, maybe the LSA/LS8 though.
The bad thing about the LSA/LS8 is their CAST pistons on a supercharger application!!!!:BangHead: Forged pistons would cost around $400-500 extra along with a little more NVH (who cares on the ZL1 Camaro), but they would be ensuring a 200K mile S/C Camaro (a first ever for production, I am pretty sure)...

The stories of all those 03+ cobra owners going from 350RWHP to 500RWHP with just a pulley will not be the case for us (in our case from 500hp to 750hp) :(

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Doesn't it still have forged rods? The rods were the weak point in my LS1. Didn't Supras come with cast pistons?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Now that would be AWESOME :patriot:
how about the 572 right ???
620HP Man what would that
cost?????

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Seeing that the GT500 is around 500hp (prolly a little more after the update), and I think the Challenger will have an ACR model of some sort with a 6.4 (490hp, maybe); I think a LSA powered ZL-1 would be there soon or later, not at least a limited edition or number like a GT500KR or ZR-1.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It wont be big block, bc it will still be an LS engine, but i hope yall are all right. I'll be waiting a little longer if there is one. I just dont want to buy an LS3 model (if they have one), and 6 months down the road find out there will be a 550hp version.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doesn't it still have forged rods? The rods were the weak point in my LS1. Didn't Supras come with cast pistons?
The rods on the LS1 were good to around 500-600HP. The weak link you are thinking of is the rod bolts, which on the 97-99/00 models were prone to failure at RPMS ABOVE the 6200RPM rev limiter. The 00/01-05 LS1/LS6 all had upgraded rod bolts allowing for almost 7000 RPM (for short periods).

The crankshaft in the LS1 was also able to handle power in the ranges of 500HP, thus making the cast (read: fragile) pistons to be the weak point.
The cast pistons just cannot hold up to the severe pressures sometimes caused by detonation.

I don't think GM will put a S/C motor in the Camaro that will last less than 150K miles; the question is, can we throw a pulley on there and not have to worry that our pistons will become paperweights...

·
Registered
328 Posts
what do you think

Seeing that the GT500 is around 500hp (prolly a little more after the update), and I think the Challenger will have an ACR model of some sort with a 6.4 (490hp, maybe); I think a LSA powered ZL-1 would be there soon or later, not at least a limited edition or number like a GT500KR or ZR-1.
Thanks for the info Jinx, but what about Yanko, COPO, SLP, Do you think Chevy will have one of those models, maybe 2nd year or shock us with it
the first year??????

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Thanks for the info Jinx, but what about Yanko, COPO, SLP, Do you think Chevy will have one of those models, maybe 2nd year or shock us with it
the first year??????
COPO is an old code, in which the old ZL-1s were. SLP is a third party, they could make a SLP Challenger and Mustang if they wanted to. Yenko is now a Honda Dealership.

I like the ZL-1 designation because of it has a history that a LSA equipped Camaro could live up to. Plus it follows the current trends of the lineup:

Z28 / Z06- Z cars that are available as the top performer in the regular lineup
ZL1 / ZR1- limited production in accord to the limited:regular line model ratio, top of its class, and holds an elite feel to it.

With that in my mind, I think the "SS" badge should be like Ford's "GT" badge. I dont think its that bad of an idea. Basically the rest of the Chevy lineup up is doing it. I dont see a Z24 Cobalt as the step above the regular Cobalt (you see a SS instead), same principle for the others too. If GM got a wild hair and decided the Cobalt should have the option of a 2.4 turbo over the 2.0 turbo....I would hope it would have a Z designation (same the others, like the Camaro). SS has a good name to it and makes it reasonable that a V8 over it reigning number of V6s could carry the name with respect regardless if the camaro has an L76 or LS3 as the base V8.

To go further and update my hopes and dream of my precious little heart:

LT- Base V6 with cloth seat with just standard options (rental/fleet favorite)

LTZ- Base V6 with leather seat option available, with upgrade options available (sound and moonroof)

RS- Base V6 fully loaded with body/aero standard, LE1 suspension (mild but more aggressive than standard OEM) standard, premium sound standard and premium colors optional

SS- L76 with LS3 optional with leather seat options optional, with LE1 suspension optional, moonroof optional, premium colors optional

SS/RS- L76 with LS3 optional fully loaded, LE1 suspension standard, premium color optional, and body/aero standard

Z28- LS3 standard with all options available, LE3 suspension (road/ track duty) standard, and special body/aero specific to the Z28 model

And a limited edition MY 2011 and forward:
ZL1- LSA standard, Magnetic Ride Control (MRC), carbon fiber hood/front fenders/trunk, M6 only, hardtop only, and GMMP plaque with build number and builder signature on it.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The rods on the LS1 were good to around 500-600HP. The weak link you are thinking of is the rod bolts, which on the 97-99/00 models were prone to failure at RPMS ABOVE the 6200RPM rev limiter. The 00/01-05 LS1/LS6 all had upgraded rod bolts allowing for almost 7000 RPM (for short periods).

The crankshaft in the LS1 was also able to handle power in the ranges of 500HP, thus making the cast (read: fragile) pistons to be the weak point.
The cast pistons just cannot hold up to the severe pressures sometimes caused by detonation.

I don't think GM will put a S/C motor in the Camaro that will last less than 150K miles; the question is, can we throw a pulley on there and not have to worry that our pistons will become paperweights...
The reason I said rods was because I broke 2 of my rods at ~500 rwhp and 90K miles on a nitrous run.
I replaced the engine with a forged one though.

I am pretty sure the oem crankshaft can handle way more than 500HP though. IMO around 800HP

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I thought the LSA was hypereutectic (sp) pistons. If the put cast pistons on a blown motor that would not be good. They will have many warranty issues if they do.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know the LS2s have the hyper-pathetic pistons. Only a step above the cast. The hyper pistons come apart with predetination. I am hoping for forged. Prolly wont happen but I can always hope.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A "Blue Devil" Camaro? If they have the lineup I think they will (3900 V6, 400hp LS2 Z28, 505hp SS) then I don't think they would ever do more than supercharge the LS7. Remember, when the Camaro comes out the next-gen Corvette shouldn't be too far ahead. LS9 BABY :roxor:!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.