Modern Camaro Forums banner

Will you buy stock in GM?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Already Have stock in GM from when i was employed with them......Dividends are almost None exixtent Yet i keep it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Think I need to trade all my Hormel stock for John Deere and GM. My current employer and the owner of my next new car.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I had GM stock and it was killing me so I dumped it. I actually would have bled worse had I hung on to it. You can't equate buying a product and investing in a corporation's stock as being mutual investments. (With the exception of buying either and the likelihood of both depreciating right away right now is about equal) Buying the product is a losing investment 99% of the time, but the intangible benefits such as clubs, car shows, fun driving, etc., are the dividends you seek. You expect the car to be worth less down the road than what you put into it. But not so with stock.

I like the Camaro and Corvette, and their GMC trucks in that order. Maybe the G8...the rest of the line up doesn't excite me at all. And right now, the stock looks great from a jumping in point of initial price, but the forecast is a bit scary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first car was a 68 and I currently own a 69. I am hoping to hold out for an 11 convertible but I agree with what was posted earlier about not investing in the company just because you like their product. GM stock has been downgraded to "junk" status. If you are smart enough about the market and can buy it at the bottom I'm sure you can do well. I never seem to be smart or lucky enough to buy at that number.:BangHead:

Brian

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Is it at 5 bucks yet?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It was down to about 8.90 at the lowest, and is trading around 10.35 right now.
Hmm, I should put a GM stock ticker on the site somewhere hehe. :D
Absolutely! :lol:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My first car was a 68 and I currently own a 69. I am hoping to hold out for an 11 convertible but I agree with what was posted earlier about not investing in the company just because you like their product. GM stock has been downgraded to "junk" status. If you are smart enough about the market and can buy it at the bottom I'm sure you can do well. I never seem to be smart or lucky enough to buy at that number.:BangHead:

Brian
These Kinda Sh!ty attitudes are One of the reasons Gm is having trouble No matter How bad things are at GM right Now Me personaly will always Own stock with them Like them or not. With everything GM has ever Done for the Economy in the past I think deserves our Attention and Help GM is a Icon of AMERICA And if GM goes Under or Gets Bought out bye BIG German Or Big Asain Auto it truely Will be the end of an Era I come from Three Generations Of GM Workers And they HAve ALWAYS DONE US GOOD! The Economy is what is making GMs stock Junk not the Cars Being built Sorry Im rambling....But whats the use in Bad mouthing the Company? Honestly Camaro Ethusiast with this Attitude....Hmmmmmm Why even Bothering Buying a Camaro.....Are you all Gonna be the Type of Guys/Gals at the Car cruise Saying To the ford Guy "Well I love The Camaro Id love it more if it was Built Bye Ford Though"?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would like to figure out how to buy GM stock, I think now would be a great time because they are in a restructuring phase that I have confidence will turn out well, but I've only been working a year and have never traded before. I don't even know how to go about something like this, how much to invest, etc....I had always planned on hiring a person sometime to deal with my finances when I got married (still kind of distant future, found the girl though).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would like to figure out how to buy GM stock, I think now would be a great time because they are in a restructuring phase that I have confidence will turn out well, but I've only been working a year and have never traded before. I don't even know how to go about something like this, how much to invest, etc....I had always planned on hiring a person sometime to deal with my finances when I got married (still kind of distant future, found the girl though).
Just go to your Local Discount Brokerage.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just go to your Local Discount Brokerage.
Sorry, I'm really ignorant, got some examples (i.e. national branch with a local store, or just a pick up a phone book and find someone?). Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Prolly best bet Like Scott Trade or ING something like that you can find Then in the Phone books or Online....I dont know if they have Local branches in Washinton But if you look them up online They have 800 numbers you can call and Answer Everything.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Prolly best bet Like Scott Trade or ING something like that you can find Then in the Phone books or Online....I dont know if they have Local branches in Washinton But if you look them up online They have 800 numbers you can call and Answer Everything.
Awesome thanks, I guess its time to start doing some research.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only stock I currently own is in my 401k which is in my company Textron, which is around $40 a share. I may consider buying some stock in GM.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if i could afford it i would buy some.

right now they are lucky to get my van payment tho.

<<<broke dude

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think the turnaround for GM will be when they retrofit their factories for the latest demand, fuel efficient smaller vehicles and provide a variety of these that meet the various changing needs of the public. It may take a year or two, but I think they will bounce back. Right now it seems it will get worse before it gets better, however, they make so many vehicles all over the world and they also provide the military with a tremendous amount of varied products. The concepts I have seen coming from GM in this area have promise. Buy their stock? All my money is tied up in secure, long term, safer products. Pretty much no one is making money in the market right now, heck, even Exxon just took a major hit.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I think the turnaround for GM will be when they retrofit their factories for the latest demand, fuel efficient smaller vehicles and provide a variety of these that meet the various changing needs of the public. It may take a year or two, but I think they will bounce back. Right now it seems it will get worse before it gets better, however, they make so many vehicles all over the world and they also provide the military with a tremendous amount of varied products. The concepts I have seen coming from GM in this area have promise. Buy their stock? All my money is tied up in secure, long term, safer products. Pretty much no one is making money in the market right now, heck, even Exxon just took a major hit.
Agreed.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I think the turnaround ...
I'm not sure there will be a turnaround until either gas prices drop, or they make cars/trucks that get way better gas mileage. And I don't mean just GM. The economy is crap, gas prices soaring, mortgage defaults, etc.... It's ALL gotta change before people are comfortable buying cars again.

Except those silly people who buy a new car ONLY to get better gas mileage. Spend an extra 10k to save a few hundred a year.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts