Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
when put in drive it will function just like a normal automatic transmission but there is another mode that will either allow you to tap the shifter up to shift up and down to shift down or in the case of paddles you would use those. when i say another mode i mean for instance there is P N D 3 2 1 M the M would be your shifting mode... hope that was understandable..

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Depending on how they engineered the tranny settings, you can have a few different options when in the Tapshift mode. If there is an 'auto upshift' feature, the car will upshift at redline (or a predetermined RPM higher than normal). If there is no 'auto-upshift' the car will 'hold' the gear and most likely bounce off the rev-limiter until you shift to the next gear. There are pros and cons with both of these, but we'll have to wait and see what the GM engineers say in today's chat session. I have quite a few questions for them. I just hope the chat isn't blocked at my job!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
heres the answer to your question from doug houlihan himself

"The tap shifting is set up to enable the driver to make the shift. It won't upshift for you. It sits on the red line so the driver is in control for upshifting. When you slow down, it will downshift for you, so if you're at a traffic light, it will downshift and you'll have to upshift. This gives the driver the ultimate performance control."

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
From that response, it sounds like it will be a upshift-only feature and that you will not be able to downshift it yourself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
From that response, it sounds like it will be a upshift-only feature and that you will not be able to downshift it yourself.
"The V6 and V8 automatics have paddle-shifters on the back side of the steering wheel to allow the customer complete control of their shift points."

he also said this and used the term paddle-shifters plural so there must be two... one up and one down..

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
What he means is that if you are in Tapshift mode in third gear for instance, as you approach a stop sign, the car will down shift accordingly. Once you are at a complete stop, the car will be in first gear ready to launch. There is no auto upshift at redline, so the car will bounce off the rev limiter until you physically upshift.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What he means is that if you are in Tapshift mode in third gear for instance, as you approach a stop sign, the car will down shift accordingly. Once you are at a complete stop, the car will be in first gear ready to launch. There is no auto upshift at redline, so the car will bounce off the rev limiter until you physically upshift.
oh ok, i see... idk about that, the cars i have driven with this sort of transmission have allowed both. My Mothers mercedes E350 will let you shift down at any time but it will shift back up automatically if your doing oh say 50 and try to shift down from 5th to 4th to 3rd.... it will also downshift automatically when you stop.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
another point... whats the point of having a non functional paddle??? if theres two one up and one down but you cant shift down then that would just be odd
No....you do have the ability to upshift with one paddle and downshift with the other paddle. It just has programming to auto down shift at part throttle. If the RPMs are above a predetermined amount, it will hold the current gear.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's exactly what I thought but most of these systems also allow you to downshift using the paddles. His response sounded like all downshifting would be automatic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No....you do have the ability to upshift with one paddle and downshift with the other paddle. It just has programming to auto down shift at part throttle. If the RPMs are above a predetermined amount, it will hold the current gear.
Well yeah thats what i was trying to get out of my head and onto the thread but it didnt work very well.... so im revising my statement to :

"What he said ^ "

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I hope that's true!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tapshift paddles

First post here.

I had a Grand Prix with A4 and Tapshift – a 2005 GXP V8.
And I now drive a 2007 Corvette – with the A6 6L80 trans. and paddle shifters on the steering wheel – as apparently the 2010 Camaro will have.

Assuming ( ? ) that GM holds to the same basic functionality seen in these 2 previous similar implementations, here is how I expect that it will behave in the new Camaro:

When the selector is in “D”, and the paddles are not utilized, the trans behaves like most previous automatics. It will upshift and downshift, using all 6 gears, based on road speed, RPM and throttle position. At WOT, the trans. will upshift at ( or just before ) the engine’s red line.

When slowing, the trans. will downshift through all gears – leaving it in first at a full stop.

The paddles will allow a forced upshift or downshift at any combination of road speed and engine speed that makes sense – and will not result in engine damage. Meaning, for example: a downshift to first gear at 80 will be ignored – to preclude “kaboom”. And an upshift to fifth at 20 MPH will also be ignored.

In both the Grand Prix and the Corvette, each paddle works the same – pull = downshift, push = upshift. BMW automatics with paddles are the reverse. And I believe that a few manufacturers now also have left paddle only for down & right only for up – but only for robotically controlled manuals, not Torque Converter automatics. I believe that no current GM product with paddles and an automatic works any differently than the GP \ GXP & the Corvette.

[[ Edit - Looks like the new CTS-v , with 6L90 ( ? ) will have
"pull left = down
pull right = up" ]]

In this mode ( with the paddles active ) in the Corvette, the trans. will downshift while slowing – but only to second, at a full stop. Not to first. Though the driver may manually select first – either while slowing or while stopped.

Reports indicate that the 2008 Corvette also does a reasonably good job of “throttle blip” \ “rev match on downshift” when commanded with the paddles. My guess in that the new Camaro will also incorporate this feature.

One thing that I have not seen yet ( have not read every word of every thread ) is an reference to, or a picture of a “Sport” mode position for the shift lever in the console. Both the G8 GT and the Corvette ( and the Caddy STS ) have such a position – and this does two things:

Thing one – it activates the paddles. If you push or pull them when in “D”rive, nothing happens.

Thing two – it activates a more aggressive trans. shift map. This includes PAS. [ See quote below. ] And possibly PAL.

In this mode, if you do ** NOT ** touch either Tapshift paddle, at WOT the trans. will upshift quickly & consistently at redline. This is what most people who drag race their Corvettes have found provides the quickest shifts and the best quarter mile times.

HTH.

- Ray
Looking seriously at the new Camaro . . .

Notes:
In the Corvette, one can start from a dead stop in first gear or second or third. I believe in the G8 GT, only first or second.

Although one cannot actually “skip” a gear on upshifting or downshifting, one can ‘stack’ 2 or 3 shifts, by pressing or pulling

From the Corvette Owners’ Manual:
“SPORT MODE (S): When in SPORT MODE (S), the
transmission will work as an automatic until you use the
Manual Paddle Shift Controls, which activates the
driver manual gear selection. See Manual Paddle Shift
later in this section. While in automatic SPORT
MODE (S), the transmission computer determines when
the vehicle is being driven in a competitive manner
and will select and hold the transmission in lower gears
and have more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle
performance.”

From GM, regarding the 2008 6L80:

“All applications feature adaptive shift controls. Several additional features such as grade braking, Performance Algorithm Shifting, and Driver Shift Control are available on some of the applications. Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS), which detects when the vehicles are being driven in a spirited fashion and remains in its current gear ratio even when the driver lifts a foot off the accelerator pedal. PAS monitors how assertively the driver is using engine output to determine at what engine speed to upshift or downshift. Driver Shift Control, available in the Corvette, STSs and XLRs allows the driver to shift the transmission like a clutchless manual gearbox. Electronic safeguards prevent over-revving should the wrong gear position be accidentally selected.”

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.