Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gggrrrrrr....my wife and I just got back from taking our two teenage boys to the mall. My gosh, I don't when I got old but I am at 41.

We were trying to get both of them shoes and hoodies as they seem to need new ones every 3 months. I swear they've gone through two pairs of shoes a piece since school started...ANYWAY...why in the world do they insist on buying some of the loudest-most-obnoxious colored clothes? And then they get pissed off when they ask my opinion on a sweatshirt they are looking at buying. Never heard of some of the brands either...what ever happened to just a Levi's jean jacket or a Longhorns sweatshirt?

My wife eventually walked out and left me in the store (The Buckle...?) with me and the two money-grubbers to battle it out. Of course they both ganged up on me and won!!

Sorry for venting on here...just wondering if any other parents are going through the same stuff...lol.:BangHead:

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
You should buy whatever clothes you want them to wear and if they dont like it, it will be there problem.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gggrrrrrr....my wife and I just got back from taking our two teenage boys to the mall. My gosh, I don't when I got old but I am at 41.

We were trying to get both of them shoes and hoodies as they seem to need new ones every 3 months. I swear they've gone through two pairs of shoes a piece since school started...ANYWAY...why in the world do they insist on buying some of the loudest-most-obnoxious colored clothes? And then they get pissed off when they ask my opinion on a sweatshirt they are looking at buying. Never heard of some of the brands either...what ever happened to just a Levi's jean jacket or a Longhorns sweatshirt?

My wife eventually walked out and left me in the store (The Buckle...?) with me and the two money-grubbers to battle it out. Of course they both ganged up on me and won!!

Sorry for venting on here...just wondering if any other parents are going through the same stuff...lol.:BangHead:
The problem is, your an adult now. When you were a teenager you knew it all too. As your son do now. You on the other hand are old and stupid. :lol: Listen to your sons. They know it all. You and your money will soon be parted... :lol::lol::lol:

:5thgendrive: I laugh with you. My kids are all grown. :fluffy: And I'd do it all over again!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Take lots of pictures, then threaten them with said pictures when they get older when you want something done :D Really though, it's just changing times, we had our time in the 70's and 80's (I'm 43, 44 on Monday), and the kids of today have their time (I have a 15 yr old son). I have mine do chores to earn money for the things he wants that I won't buy ($150 sneakers, on a whim things that he just has to have). I buy him a full new set of clothes once a year just before school starts, and usually end up replacing shoes and jacket after about 6 months. If he wants anything else, he has to use his own money.

It can be frustrating, but at least from their point of view, you will get smarter as they get older ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lol, great thread man. I am 39 and have two sons, 4 and 7 years of age.
I was never a intested n being the GQ type, only wanted clothing that was comfertable / but cool also. My dad was never home, mom had her hands full with 4 teanagers in HS. If I wanted something other than what my parents wanted I had to purchase it with my own money. I got a part time job when I was 16 and worked 40 hrs a week ontop of HS throughout HS.

You should take this same approach. The kids will get the bare neccesities, if the want more, make them get a job and use their own money. This will teach them the value of money and work ethic.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah....I was a teenager once and those were some GREAT years back in the mid 80's. I can remember driving my parents nuts at times but to be honest with everyone I didn't put too much emphasis on what I wore. But, I grew up in East Texas, too.

My oldest is 15 and he worked on the base over the summer so he ended up buying half of his wardrobe for the year. I don't have a problem really with what it is that they are buying...it's mostly how much $.

With him in high school now and now girlfriends aren't just on the horizon but much closer (another heart attack). I guess it's important for him to wear the clothes that he does. I just never really put a lot into it. But, then again, I've worn Coast Guard blue for over 19 years now, too! Just funny having to deal with this...why couldn't I just be on a boat and not on shore duty! lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement, too. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lol, great thread man. I am 39 and have two sons, 4 and 7 years of age.
I was never a intested n being the GQ type, only wanted clothing that was comfertable / but cool also. My dad was never home, mom had her hands full with 4 teanagers in HS. If I wanted something other than what my parents wanted I had to purchase it with my own money. I got a part time job when I was 16 and worked 40 hrs a week ontop of HS throughout HS.

You should take this same approach. The kids will get the bare neccesities, if the want more, make them get a job and use their own money. This will teach them the value of money and work ethic.
Amen. That's how i learned. I wanted alot of things in life and learned i won't be able to get them making $10 an hour. My kids will work through high school just like i did.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts

Yep, we're screwed as parents when it comes to crap like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure it ever goes away. I'm 49 going on the big "50" and we have a 19 year old and a 23 year old. The girl is like a sponge, high maintenance. Just this week brought home from college, that I am paying for, went shopping $140.00 jacket with $200.00 hair-doooooo ;). Son was home from his job at NASA and there you go ...went shopping....:D Still paying for his school. I maybe broke but.......
If I had to do it over I would not change a thing. Period. Best thing that ever happened to me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I'm not sure it ever goes away. I'm 49 going on the big "50" and we have a 19 year old and a 23 year old. The girl is like a sponge, high maintenance. Just this week brought home from college, that I am paying for, went shopping $140.00 jacket with $200.00 hair-doooooo ;). Son was home from his job at NASA and there you go ...went shopping....:D Still paying for his school. I maybe broke but.......
If I had to do it over I would not change a thing. Period. Best thing that ever happened to me :thumbsup:
I'm 22 and wish my parents could pay for my school.
Because then I would probably be in school. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'm 22 and wish my parents could pay for my school.
Because then I would probably be in school. ;)
You can go to school if you really wanted to. I had that attitude and screwed myself over for 8 years. I finally started back this fall. I wish I knew about everything available to me when I had graduated high school. Instead I had the crap attitude "my parents won't pay for it, so I can't go" and I wasted away almost a full decade.

There are PLENTY of grants and loans to take advantage of.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
You can go to school if you really wanted to. I had that attitude and screwed myself over for 8 years. I finally started back this fall. I wish I knew about everything available to me when I had graduated high school. Instead I had the crap attitude "my parents won't pay for it, so I can't go" and I wasted away almost a full decade.

There are PLENTY of grants and loans to take advantage of.
Don't start that.
I want to, but funds are non-existent.
Plus there is a car to pay for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do what ever it takes to get to school. Grants, Pell, work part-time, tons of scholarships out there . Go to Jr. college and transfer or vocational college. Just make your mind up and do it. If it takes 18 mo. or 15years you will never regret it. It may not open all the doors you want but it will open most of the doors that wouldn't before.
Sorry off topic....

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

Hey man im almost 30 if you buy them a longhorn hoody and they dont wear it I will :lol: When I was in school Sagging was the thing. I remember most all of my friend SAGGED as they refer to it. I couldnt #1 I was on the football Team and #2 I would have been here now if I did my Father would have killed me.
I had the nice Shoe's and a few of the shirts but if I wanted the $$$$$$ stuff I had to buy it. My parents could afford they just didnt agree on what a shirt or pair of jeans back in 98/99 cost.

hang in there lol
Dam I feel Old you say back in the 80's I say back in the 90's it feels like light years away. :( :lol:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...I hear you Jekyll. I was just upset that they know now that we'll get them pretty much whatever they want within reason.

Like I said before, the oldest worked on base this summer at 14 and he did that to buy some of his own clothes/electronic drum set. We've already told him that whatever he saves, we'll throw in the same amount for his first car. He's definitely NOT into the import revolution so it's looking like a clean late model Camaro (V6 for sure) for him. He'll be returning to his roots as he was driven home from the hospital in Beaumont in a 1994 Camaro!

As for the whole "sagging" thing...that's too funny. I drove my folks nuts back in the '80s over getting a pair of Air Jordans!!! If I still had'em I could make some change selling them on eBay...lol!

Oh yeah...since you brought up the Longhorns....TEXAS FIGHT!!!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
...I hear you Jekyll. I was just upset that they know now that we'll get them pretty much whatever they want within reason.

Like I said before, the oldest worked on base this summer at 14 and he did that to buy some of his own clothes/electronic drum set. We've already told him that whatever he saves, we'll throw in the same amount for his first car. He's definitely NOT into the import revolution so it's looking like a clean late model Camaro (V6 for sure) for him. He'll be returning to his roots as he was driven home from the hospital in Beaumont in a 1994 Camaro!

As for the whole "sagging" thing...that's too funny. I drove my folks nuts back in the '80s over getting a pair of Air Jordans!!! If I still had'em I could make some change selling them on eBay...lol!

Oh yeah...since you brought up the Longhorns....TEXAS FIGHT!!!
Sagging has got insane now..people walking around with their belts around their knees. It's funny watching them run because they have to hold onto their shorts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts